ADVERTISEMENT

New college basketball Adidas scandal catches 4 coaches including Auburn

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
The FBI claims Jim Gatto -- the Director of Global Marketing for Adidas Basketball -- paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to funnel top prospects to Adidas sponsored colleges ... including Louisville.

The FBI says 4 NCAA coaches were hit with charges as part of the investigation -- including Auburn coach Chuck Person. Oklahoma State coach Lamont Evanswas also charged.

USC assistant coach Tony Bland and Book Richardson from the University of Arizona have also been charged in the case.

In total, we're told 10 people are facing charges. 8 of those people have been arrested.

It's all in court docs filed by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of NY and obtained by TMZ Sports... which say Gatto conspired with a team of people in a massive illegal bribery scheme.

In the documents, the FBI says Gatto tried to pay one player and his family $100,000 to get him to a school of Gatto's choice. Another player got $150k with the expectation that the player would sign with Adidas when he went to the NBA.

The FBI says it has wiretapped phone calls catching Gatto and his conspirators in the act.

The FBI spells it out ...

"The investigation has revealed multiple instances of bribes paid by athlete advisors, including financial advisors and business managers, as well as high-level apparel company employees, and facilitated by coaches employed by NCAA division 1 universities, to student-athletes playing at or bound for NCAA D-1 universities, and the families of such athletes, in exchange for a commitment by those athletes to matriculate at a specific university and a promise to ultimately sign agreements to be represented by the bribe-payors once the athletes enter the NBA."

As for the case against Chuck Person, the FBI says he collected about $91,500 in bribes in exchange for funneling Auburn players to a particular financial advisor and a high-end suit maker, Rashan Michel.

The FBI says Person would use a portion of the bribes to pay off the families of high-priority recruits.

In one part of the documents, the FBI says Chuck met with a player and counseled him about how players secretly get away with NCAA violations.

He allegedly told one player, "The most important part is that you ... don't say nothing to anybody ... don't share with your sisters, don't share with any of the teammates, that's very important 'cause this is a violation .... of rules. But this is how the NBA players get it done."

"They get early relationships, and they form partnerships, they form trust, you get to know [financial advisor], you get to know Rashan a lot and like Rashan can get you suits and stuff ... you'll start looking like an NBA ball player, that's what you are."

http://m.tmz.com/?utm_source=fark&u...6/adidas-louisville-fbi-bribery-ncaa-arrests/

Way to go scUM! Oh this is a big deal, and I would be surprised if its only basketball where this happened.

College hoops long been a money sport - still love it though.

This is what happens when you don't pay players, someone else will. Not denying it's underhanded and illegal, but I'm not surprised this happens. I'm sure Nike could be rung up on something similar if anyone looked a bit.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This has been going on forever but apparently the FBI frowns on corruption a little more than the NCAA (most likely because the shoes companies are stuffing the NCAAs pockets with bribe money as well)...most notable with FSU twice in the last 5 years where Kansas swooped in out of nowhere and signed Wiggins and Azuibuike. Course it is Kansas but they are also an Adidas school and both were late late late interests in Kansas

will be interested to see how the NCAA uses any documents generated or surfaced as a result of this case. hopefully makes up for their lack of subpoena power, though we saw in the scum/nevinshapiro case it didn't matter much

Six figures?
interesting how capitalism works

universities might have been better off artificially suppressing wages instead of letting these kids find out what they're really worth.

i for one am glad they're seeing some of their real earnings potential and revenue stream opportunities.

Feels like a tip of the iceberg type thing.
likely true, but also likely the reason the ncaa makes a half-hearted effort to investigate further at the institutional level.

they know exactly how dirty they are, which is why they keep glossing over investigations and letting schools go unpunished.

when your steaks are spoiled you don't advertise it to consumers, you slap a different label on it so no one notices. #FoodLion #NeverForget (oh and you mark up the price! - another tactic college sports has learned from Food Lion)

universities might have been better off artificially suppressing wages instead of letting these kids find out what they're really worth.

So the assistant coaches were taking these bribes because the universities suppressed their wages?
C'mon, man!

i for one am glad they're seeing some of their real earnings potential and revenue stream opportunities.

That's an interesting take on accepting bribes. ;)

So the assistant coaches were taking these bribes because the universities suppressed their wages?
C'mon, man!

That's an interesting take on accepting bribes. ;)
I'm in favor of players being paid. I don't think there is anything wrong with that from a moral perspective, and I'd argue that the NCAA's artificial rules against payments end up creating an environment that encourages shady business.

That said, real laws are real laws, so these guys done went too far.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I'm in favor of players being paid. I don't think there is anything wrong with that from a moral perspective, and I'd argue that the NCAA's artificial rules against payments end up creating an environment that encourages shady business.

That said, real laws are real laws, so these guys done went too far.

Yes there is no moral or ethical qualms imo with paying players. If you're a student working in the library or in a "restaurant" that's part of the university you are getting paid. Why shouldn't the people bringing in millions to the university?

Yes there is no moral or ethical qualms imo with paying players. If you're a student working in the library or in a "restaurant" that's part of the university you are getting paid. Why shouldn't the people bringing in millions to the university?

I wonder how this would be treated in a pro league. NFL and NBA have salary caps, ostensibly for competitive balance purposes. If it was discovered that players were taking money under the table specifically to be on particular teams, would it be ok? Or would sanctions against the individuals, and potentially institutions, be considered?

I wonder how this would be treated in a pro league. NFL and NBA have salary caps, ostensibly for competitive balance purposes. If it was discovered that players were taking money under the table specifically to be on particular teams, would it be ok? Or would sanctions against the individuals, and potentially institutions, be considered?

If it were a major league, I can't think of a government crime they would be committing. It would just be a potential civil Tort or a violation of a contract (whatever agreements the league puts in place) that could be brought by the league itself or a fellow team.

I seem to recall this happening at some point and the threat was league fines/sanctions against the team in question.

The Adidas thing is interesting since the company is obviously recognizing marketable value in the players, but due to the NCAA's rules they can't contract with them directly. It begs an interesting question, if college players can be paid does that open the door for individual endorsement contracts and how does that impact a school's shoe/uniform contract.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
College hoops long been a money sport - still love it though.

This is what happens when you don't pay players, someone else will. Not denying it's underhanded and illegal, but I'm not surprised this happens. I'm sure Nike could be rung up on something similar if anyone looked a bit.

I have my doubts paying players under the table will cease if they are paid a salary. Some booster is always going to try and entice some player with a little extra to come to the booster's school.

Reactions: fsUTampa and 62Nole
I have my doubts paying players under the table will cease if they are paid a salary. Some booster is always going to try and entice some player with a little extra to come to the booster's school.

This is my thought exactly, and with the NBA having a salary cap, players will stay in school for 4 years. Why go pro and take a salary cut?

Do you believe that this will be rapidly concluded like the Chapel Hill classless attendance fiasco?

Since it's the FBI and not the NCAA....no. I never worked FOR the FBI but I worked WITH them on a lot of cases over the years and against them on a couple recently. And they are slow as molasses. Simple overprescribing cases lasted a decade or more from first inv to final prosecution. I'd be shocked if we aren't talking about this five years from now still being investigated.

Morally, I see this as no different than if a fan walked up to Lebron James and handed him money. If it were up to me, and the NCAA instituted a "salary cap", I would have them set it high enough that the obscenely talented could receive obscene amounts of money. I understand that could tarnish the image of the game, but for me that doesn't outweigh the player's rights to receive compensation. Plus the current system has a lot of tarnish on it already.

I'd argue that college basketball and college football are already professional sports in every single way except for the payment of players.

p.s. I am not a booster, have never paid a player, and actually haven't even been to Tallahassee in about 5 years.

Rick Pitino told his staff this morning that he expects to be fired. Is that enough stink on that guy to keep him out of coaching

Could this extend into Football? I am looking right at you SEC!

I was wondering that myself. But while basketball is FAR below football when it comes to interest and money, the individual players are far more valuable. Having one great player in football means nothing really otherwise Derwin James would have us undefeated. But having one great player in Bball is usually all that's needed. Obviously more is better, but if you said who do you think is going to win in bball a team with a bunch of average players and one who is the best in his position or a team with a bunch of above average players with no superstar, I'm taking the superstar everyday. In Football and baseball, I'm taking the opposite.

Rick Pitino told his staff this morning that he expects to be fired. Is that enough stink on that guy to keep him out of coaching

ESPNU just said Louisville is having a press conference at 1 to announce the firing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT