ADVERTISEMENT

New Footie Thread - Sept 2019

Watched some of Liverpool v Chelsea ... WOW Kepa is a lost cause. Chelsea bringing in Mendy? You just cannot go with a guy who is so often making these sorts of gaffes...even despite the money they spent on him.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Watched some of Liverpool v Chelsea ... WOW Kepa is a lost cause. Chelsea bringing in Mendy? You just cannot go with a guy who is so often making these sorts of gaffes...even despite the money they spent on him.
Kepa's definitely a sunk cost.

maxresdefault.jpg

COYG!!

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
I have to pick up my son from school today at 3:00 and they moved the match up from 3:15 to 3:00 for some reason, so I'll have to miss the first 15 minutes or so. Bummer!

I don't care if it's "only" the Carabao Cup, The Arsenal's win over the Peasants yesterday still resonates, and shows
Mikel has these guys on the right track.

Of course, it means we now have to play Citeh next. Gunners never seem to get good draws in tournaments.

Reactions: LesClaypool
For the first time like ever, Chelsea got a decent UCL draw -> might even say it's the "weakest" group in the group stage (although Rennes from pot 4 might be a considered the strongest team from that pot).

The fact that Chelsea didn't end up in a group with Bayern or PSG or Juve is a win to me.

I'm just so used to having to play in one of the 2 or 3 most difficult groups that I don't know how to respond other than to think that UEFA will call for a re-draw any second now to ensure that this kind of cataclysmic event gets wiped from the record.

For the first time like ever, Chelsea got a decent UCL draw -> might even say it's the "weakest" group in the group stage (although Rennes from pot 4 might be a considered the strongest team from that pot).

The fact that Chelsea didn't end up in a group with Bayern or PSG or Juve is a win to me.

I'm just so used to having to play in one of the 2 or 3 most difficult groups that I don't know how to respond other than to think that UEFA will call for a re-draw any second now to ensure that this kind of cataclysmic event gets wiped from the record.
So how long is it going to take Lamps to get all of these new parts to work like a well-oiled machine??

After United's capitulation today to Moaninro, one has to wonder if Ole's time is up.

And WTF Liverpool? Peasants give up 7 to the Villains? Jeebus!

So how long is it going to take Lamps to get all of these new parts to work like a well-oiled machine??
Going to be a while IMO. Especially since a few - Pulisic and Ziyech - are also recovering from injuries.

The guy I'm most worried about is Kante - until Gilmour recovers, we don't have another natural CM who is ++ defender. Kovacic is decent, but only an average to + defender. Jorginho will try, but Refs will assume yellow over strong D from him every time - so it's difficult to think of him as anything other than a - defender. As a result, Kante will end up playing almost every game since UCL is starting. That's why I think it's imperative that Chelsea get wins in those 1st 4 games and hopefully that clinches 1st in the group so Frank doesn't feel like he has to play Kante. Reese James or even once of CD might be the best option to give Kante an occasional rest there.

The biggest issue to me with Frank as a manager is b/c he was almost superhuman in terms of never suffering injuries and his ability to play damn near every minute, that he thinks everyone should be able to do so also. I understand wanting to try to build chemistry among groups e.g. D or MFs or FWs, but rotation is needed this campaign more than ever with a mid week game damn near every week. If Kante goes down again with a long term injury (missing a month or so), we'll be in the same spot we were last year and that's just fighting with ~ 5 other teams for the other 2 UCL spots - even with the slow start, I still expect Man City to cruise to a UCL spot.

If Chelsea is able to play to their ability and remain relatively healthy, we could and maybe even should finish ahead of City - I still think this is Liverpool's league to lose. I'm hoping to see Chelsea finish in the area of 85 points - which will be comfortably in a UCL spot -> whether that's 2nd or 3rd remains to be seen. I'm not sure anyone other than Liverpool, City or Chelsea can get to 85 points. But, I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

Oh yeah, and @warriortim -> tell your boys in the Bayern braintrust to stop trying to sign Callum Hudson-Odoi. :cool:

Reactions: NoleLizards
Wasn't Ozil's contract the last one Wenger negotiated before leaving the club, i.e. a going away present?

Going to be a while IMO. Especially since a few - Pulisic and Ziyech - are also recovering from injuries.

The guy I'm most worried about is Kante - until Gilmour recovers, we don't have another natural CM who is ++ defender. Kovacic is decent, but only an average to + defender. Jorginho will try, but Refs will assume yellow over strong D from him every time - so it's difficult to think of him as anything other than a - defender. As a result, Kante will end up playing almost every game since UCL is starting. That's why I think it's imperative that Chelsea get wins in those 1st 4 games and hopefully that clinches 1st in the group so Frank doesn't feel like he has to play Kante. Reese James or even once of CD might be the best option to give Kante an occasional rest there.

The biggest issue to me with Frank as a manager is b/c he was almost superhuman in terms of never suffering injuries and his ability to play damn near every minute, that he thinks everyone should be able to do so also. I understand wanting to try to build chemistry among groups e.g. D or MFs or FWs, but rotation is needed this campaign more than ever with a mid week game damn near every week. If Kante goes down again with a long term injury (missing a month or so), we'll be in the same spot we were last year and that's just fighting with ~ 5 other teams for the other 2 UCL spots - even with the slow start, I still expect Man City to cruise to a UCL spot.

If Chelsea is able to play to their ability and remain relatively healthy, we could and maybe even should finish ahead of City - I still think this is Liverpool's league to lose. I'm hoping to see Chelsea finish in the area of 85 points - which will be comfortably in a UCL spot -> whether that's 2nd or 3rd remains to be seen. I'm not sure anyone other than Liverpool, City or Chelsea can get to 85 points. But, I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

Oh yeah, and @warriortim -> tell your boys in the Bayern braintrust to stop trying to sign Callum Hudson-Odoi. :cool:

I think you will get your wish. Chelski was wanting to add so much to the loan deal in add on stipulations that FCB finally just walked away from the table. IMO, I doubt they try again. Costa was a good enough signing on loan from Juve to cover for a year. Just need the likes of Sane, Coman and Gnabry to remain healthy.

Watching Chelsea playing at Krasnodar...It's awesome seeing spectators in the stands!

Today was a prime example of why I hated Jose being hired by Spurs. Under Pocc, there is a virtual 0% chance they would've had the discipline to stick with the counter attack philosophy for a full 90 mins.

I'm not sure Spurs win the league, but you can already see a difference in mentality in the way they play, IMO, they now know how to win and I never thought they did under any manager they've had the last 25 years.

I definitely see them being a factor in all of the cups and if they don't have a long stretch w/o Kane or Son, they could be there all year.

Makes me sick.

Today was a prime example of why I hated Jose being hired by Spurs. Under Pocc, there is a virtual 0% chance they would've had the discipline to stick with the counter attack philosophy for a full 90 mins.

I'm not sure Spurs win the league, but you can already see a difference in mentality in the way they play, IMO, they now know how to win and I never thought they did under any manager they've had the last 25 years.

I definitely see them being a factor in all of the cups and if they don't have a long stretch w/o Kane or Son, they could be there all year.

Makes me sick.
On the bright side, that was the type of match that our Blues would have lost in the past. As I said to @warriortim in the midst of Chelsea acquiring all of this new talent during the summer transfer window, I was even more excited about the shoring up of the defense than the shiny bells & whistles we were getting up front. The level of improvement in not conceding goals has happily surpassed my expectations.

We’re number 14!
We’re number 14!

Just curious, is Arteta still the manager when Chelsea plays Arsenal on Dec. 26th?

I'll be honest, I could see him getting sacked if Spurs win next weekend. If it's a draw, well maybe Chelsea is his executioner. Unless the Gunners have a huge turnaround, it would be an enormous shock to see him back for the 21/22 campaign.

Am I just basing my thinking too much on the table, or is there some validity in what I'm saying? I'm guessing the Gunners on here are probably getting pretty sick of the new manager bump just to return to the blah you've had the last few years.

Don't look now, but Chelsea's neighbor Fulham is doing them a solid...Up 2-nil on Leicester 78 minutes in.

Between The Arsenal and Atlanta United, I've pretty much had my fill of 2020 footie. Please, let's get this year over with and start afresh in January.

Between The Arsenal and Atlanta United, I've pretty much had my fill of 2020 footie. Please, let's get this year over with and start afresh in January.
At least you Gooners are garnering some consolation beating up on the other squads in your Europa group.

The Arsenal apparently had a closed door team meeting with Arteta yesterday to clear the air and point our who needs to elevate their game. Then the coaches left and the players really got into it with each other. Doesn't sound like the team much likes each other, and I don't see how this bodes well for the Gunners at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT