ADVERTISEMENT

New Footie Thread - Sept 2019

Well, Les, guess we're headed to the asylum. Partey getting hurt (again) like that left us with not much of a way back. He was holding us together at that point.

Why are Arsenal players constantly injured, over and over? Is this a problem with the training staff?

Reactions: LesClaypool
Well, Les, guess we're headed to the asylum. Partey getting hurt (again) like that left us with not much of a way back. He was holding us together at that point.

Why are Arsenal players constantly injured, over and over? Is this a problem with the training staff?

Hey Ed,

The injuries thing is more to do with this campaign as almost all teams have higher than normal injury rate. I know Chelsea has had numerous injuries - most of the muscle/hamstring variety.

I think most were expecting this type of thing, especially with the shortened (virtually non-existent) pre-season. I'll admit that I'm happy that Chelsea's got a fairly large squad, but we seem to just trading seats between the injured list and healthy players eg. Pulisic coming back and not Ziyech and Callum getting hurt.

Here's to hoping that all are able to field full senior squads through Jan. 2nd -> get a bit of a reprieve after that when hopefully a lot of youth contributors can get teams through the FA Cup game in early Jan. so that that week or so of rest will help teams recover for the resumption of the busy period in Feb.

On the bright side, The Arsenal appears to have a handle on their part of the Europa League so far. Maybe winning this will be their back door route to the UCL next year.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Honestly, I think Arteta might be in trouble now, and that's a damn shame. He inherited a culture that date back for decades and the only way to end it is to get these players gone and start over. The Arsenal power structure and their supporters would never tolerate that. It may take relegation to get everybody to understand this.

Reactions: nole31906
Walcott goal against Arsenal. What a kick in the Jolly Rogers.

The Arsenal with a clinical 4-0 win of West Brom at the Hawthorns and in the snow. It hasn't been that long since this match would have a very different and annoying ending. Great start to the new year, and 3 in a row for the Gunners. Day Two of optimism for this year. 😁

@Rishi Just like other Blues supporters, I was very happy and optimistic when the Chelsea legend Frank Lampard was hired as the new manager in '19. I didn't even consider the potential problems associated with bringing on such a beloved figure at the time...What if (Gasp!) he doesn't do a great job?? Makes it quite awkward to cut the cord.

Abramovich didn't spend all this capital during the long-awaited transfer window last summer for the regression he's seeing on the pitch. Chelsea's increasingly in danger of not returning to Europe next year. This is certainly NOT what R.A. paid for!

The Arsenal feels your pain; we even gave Arteta a new title to boot. But, the last 3 matches have provided optimism.
You guys are indeed looking good, but one of your wins was against a side who's playing like a League Two team recently.

Last edited:
It was late in extra time, but damned if The Arsenal didn't scrape out a 2-0 win over the Barcodes to start their defense of the FA Cup. They aren't world beaters yet, but suddenly they seem to have less quit in them than before. Hope it keeps up.

As a decades-long avid sports fan, I cannot recall a professional team that has gotten less return on investment than this current Chelsea squad. 😞

Yeah, I have always liked Frank even though he is a Chelsea guy. But I think his time as manager is up.

• Sad
Be damned. Lowly minnow Burnley knocks off the Peasants on an 83rd minute penalty. Will wonders never cease.

Manch must be relishing a 6 point lead in the Prem at this point. Wish he was back here posting.

Be damned. Lowly minnow Burnley knocks off the Peasants on an 83rd minute penalty. Will wonders never cease.

Manch must be relishing a 6 point lead in the Prem at this point. Wish he was back here posting.
Yep...And whatever happened to cdowlar??

While their lead over Pool is 6 points, they only have a 2 point lead over Man. City & Leicester. On top of that, Man. City has played 1 less game.

Sorry, I'm just looking for the light at the end of the tunnel which doesn't have ManU winning the league.

Man, I forgot about him. Was he got the guy who got into a tiff with Warrior Tim and Tim left the board for a long time? Seem I recall Dowlar got the ban hammer for an extended period of time. Or it may have been someone else. It was a long time ago.

?????? Not sure who you might be, or what this all meant, but you're right...it's easy to remember that you can't spell.

Thats right ed, give that POS the business. He probably used a really old email address, not realizing the username was wrong. As for the spelling, I bet he's distracted by two weeks of dealing with hub cap thief fans and was brought down to their level. AND his team is at the f@&king top!

Thats right ed, give that POS the business. He probably used a really old email address, not realizing the username was wrong. As for the spelling, I bet he's distracted by two weeks of dealing with hub cap thief fans and was brought down to their level. AND his team is at the f@&king top!
Hope you're doing ok, buddy!

Well, the Blues decide to change horses in midstream with former PSG skipper Thomas Tuchel. Hate to see the legendary Lamps have to go, but he'll get a chance to rehabilitate in a lower-pressure job I'm sure.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Well, the Blues decide to change horses in midstream with former PSG skipper Thomas Tuchel. Hate to see the legendary Lamps have to go, but he'll get a chance to rehabilitate in a lower-pressure job I'm sure.
Tuchel is not a coach I rate that high to be honest. He took over at Mainz after Klopp left for bvb. He did well as he was in a comfort zone of being at Mainz. He did not have to produce much other than mid table. When he moved onto bvb he fell out of favor fairly quickly. Did not get on with players like Reus etc as well as Watzke and other front office folks. Credit to him I guess for getting PSG to a CL Final, but of course he had basically unlimited funding for squad planning in Paris. IMO he was brought in by Chelsea to help save the $$$ spent on Werner and Havertz and being a German might make that happen sooner maybe? If that happens, then it will have been worth it.

Tuchel is not a coach I rate that high to be honest. He took over at Mainz after Klopp left for bvb. He did well as he was in a comfort zone of being at Mainz. He did not have to produce much other than mid table. When he moved onto bvb he fell out of favor fairly quickly. Did not get on with players like Reus etc as well as Watzke and other front office folks. Credit to him I guess for getting PSG to a CL Final, but of course he had basically unlimited funding for squad planning in Paris. IMO he was brought in by Chelsea to help save the $$$ spent on Werner and Havertz and being a German might make that happen sooner maybe? If that happens, then it will have been worth it.
Solid theory about Tuchel with regard to the German players. From a small sample size (one match)...if you are correct...then TT seems more concerned with kick-starting Havertz than Werner. The former played the entire game vs. Wolves whereas Timo didn't even see the pitch.

Reactions: warriortim
Solid theory about Tuchel with regard to the German players. From a small sample size (one match)...if you are correct...then TT seems more concerned with kick-starting Havertz than Werner. The former played the entire game vs. Wolves whereas Timo didn't even see the pitch.

I would pick Havertz to produce over Werner for sure. Many thought Werner was a done deal to Bayern year and a half ago but he was not that highly thought of by the FCB Board. Havertz was priced out considering Covid times of a move to Munich. Havertz is a big talent with a huge upside. Werner is very streaky and disappears v top sides. He has done that pretty consistently in the Bundesliga, for Germany and for Chelsea.

Tomorrow. The Arsenal host the hated ManU in a game that may be the Gunners' defining moment of the season. A win here could be the catalyst to convince the players that they are as good as they sometimes appear. A win tomorrow could very well result in a Top 4 finish before the season is over. A loss could be more damaging in a huge way, especially if the game really isn't close.

One can hope.

COYG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT