ADVERTISEMENT

Not football related but just saw where all fraternities and sororities are banned from FSU..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspended not Gone... big difference... watched the FB live press conference... Thrasher says he believed the Greek system will take this serious and will come forward to make necessary changes.

Wouldn’t feel that way if it was your son. Look at Penn State. There has to be a strong message sent and received. This will force, hopefully, the Greek community to come up with ways to manage themselves better.
my kid is there and says it really is out of control at times.

Some serious charges going down with drug trafficking. Seems like he wants to hit the reset button

As a former Fraternity President and Interfraternity Council President at FSU, I am speechless over this. Heard about the poor Pi Kap kid Saturday morning at the tailgate, just tragic.

Wonder if the suspension will last through Homecoming.

Reactions: squiffynole
Ban is really the wrong word...the ban is on activities, not on the groups themselves.

Basically its an organized paused, meant to institute a host of reforms and changes, and then re-launch.

UCF basically did the same this a few years ago

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...lated-misconduct-ann-hefferin-robert-champion

Why keep them? I know they're fun for those involved, but just let them form groups not related to the university on their own. Why should they be university affiliated? It's just a carry-over from when the rich elites were the only ones that went to school.

Reactions: ericram
Why keep them? I know they're fun for those involved, but just let them form groups not related to the university on their own. Why should they be university affiliated? It's just a carry-over from when the rich elites were the only ones that went to school.

If you want me to defend them, you got the wrong guy LOL. I couldn't care less either way.

Just explaining what's really happening...

Reactions: FlashFSU
As a former Fraternity President and Interfraternity Council President at FSU, I am speechless over this. Heard about the poor Pi Kap kid Saturday morning at the tailgate, just tragic.

Thrasher specifically mentioned the suspension of activities related to Homecoming in his statement. Just speculation, but I'd guess the suspension will last the remainder of the school year and things will resume again in the Fall. From the statement, it sounds like they are wanting to make broad sweeping changes.

Reactions: SnakeyFSU13
There are 1000s of fraternity chapters and this type crap hopefully isn't happening everywhere. It would be ashamed to punish everyone just because of a few.
I had a great experience as part of the PKA fraternity and UWF. I still communicate with some of my brothers. That said, that was 35 years ago. So.....

BTW, I wasn't rich still not. LOL
I Know there are people who dislike fraternities. Some of them in this thread already.

There are 1000s of fraternity chapters and this type crap hopefully isn't happening everywhere. It would be ashamed to punish everyone just because of a few.
I had a great experience as part of the PKA fraternity and UWF. I still communicate with some of my brothers. That said, that was 35 years ago. So.....
Well it is always a few that ruin it for the many. Too many kids have died from Fraternity related issues. I support FSU and Thrasher 100% here.

Reactions: Leben
Well it is always a few that ruin it for the many. Too many kids have died from Fraternity related issues. I support FSU and Thrasher 100% here.
I agree if that's the only way to stop these tragedies.

I should have read the article before responding. Something has to be done. Thrasher is right to do this.

Reactions: ericram

What happened to that kid at the tailgate? Got a link?

I wonder if these organizations will still be allowed to have their weekly meetings? If so, they should all be olbigated to come up with plans on how to conduct themselves better as individuals and as an organization, and the president of each organization should personally visit President Thrasher to present said plans.

What happened to that kid at the tailgate? Got a link?

I wonder if these organizations will still be allowed to have their weekly meetings? If so, they should all be olbigated to come up with plans on how to conduct themselves better as individuals and as an organization, and the president of each organization should personally visit President Thrasher to present said plans.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ans-greek-life-after-student-death/836890001/

To specifically answer your question. No.
All fraternity and sorority chapters are prohibited from holding new member events, chapter meetings, chapter organized tailgates, socials, philanthropy, retreats, intramurals and organized participation in Market Wednesday and Homecoming,

A ban on alcohol has also been issued at all Recognized Student Organization events during the interim suspension.

If you have been around the ones around fsu lately you will understand they are pretty bad.

Reactions: ogman

BTW, I wasn't rich still not. LOL
I Know there are people who dislike fraternities. Some of them in this thread already.
pikes...

Ouch. I helped bring the BH chapter back in '08-'09. Didn't realize how bad things had been.

Reactions: squiffynole
So they've gotten worse? I was in a frat for a couple semesters in 2004 I think and the forced drinking by pledges was a very real thing. Is it getting worse to include more drugs I assume?

Was in a frat 2004-2008, didn’t think it was anything beyond the normal college experience. Must have gotten really bad

Kudos to Thrasher!
Great when our leaders take the adult high-road and make definitive decisions that are within their purview without pandering or wishy-washiness.

If the Greek community wants to keep their organizations going, they'll come up with well-thought out improvement plans and execute them... great lesson to them as they enter adulthood.

Win-win all around. (but I feel terrible for that Pompano Bch family dealing with their son's unnecessary death... we all know the power of peer pressure at that age, especially with alcohol involved.)
Go 'Noles!

You guys are crazy, the sororities do an amazing amount of philanthropy and raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for charities. FSU has the second largest sorority rush in the country, and it is an important part of the university life and culture. A few bad apples ruin the barrel, so throw out the bad apples.

Silas -- it's not a permanent ban, it's a time-out while frats and sororities come up with improvement plans.
And yes, it's a regular part of life that we all suffer due to a few bad apples -- that's why we have laws and restrictions and punishments for all kinds of misbehavior, even if most don't misbehave.
What's so untenable about a pause while definitive improvements are made, to save lives, our university's reputation, etc.?

Reactions: Leben

Through Christmas. Fresh start in ‘18. Book it.

Reactions: RTM58 and goldmom
FSU fraternity alumni here and it is distressing. Have my third Nole in attendance now and what I've heard from each is not good. Girls have to know which frat to not party at because they ruffie girls there? That's BS. The drinking tightened up significantly in the 80s but now alcohol abuse and worse drug abuse sounds rampant. You have to force this community to police itself. Zero tolerance on drug use and underage drinking.

When you are young, your parents should teach life lessons. I remember 1977 like it was yesterday. I can remember my dad with his finger in my face saying:" YOU are now responsible for your own actions. Do not embarrass your mother." On the other hand, if there is something other than alcohol that is an epidemic at FSU. Well that is another story. Like I said previously, way too many issues here. But in any event, it's NOT GOOD. My condolences to the parents of the young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT