ADVERTISEMENT

Not looking good........

If basketball and baseball are being played, then there's no reason football shouldn't. If a player or coach wants to opt out, then they're free to do so. Otherwise you assume the same risk as breaking your neck in a tackle or dropping dead in 105 degree heat from an unknown heart condition. How many seasons have been suspended because of CTE?

Doomsday predictors are NEVER held responsible for the destruction and fear they spread when they are wrong because folks are just content they were wrong. Just like the weatherman who tells us a CAT 5 hurricane is coming and it only was a Cat 2 folks are relieved. Whereas had they predicted a tropical storm and it is a CAT 1 they still are not held responsible. Yes we all want to be safe for we need to start holding the fear monger spreaders accountable or at least ban them from being paid for wrong predictions. No, we just keep them around for the next blown disaster.

Yet we are practicing, what is the difference? Lets play and move on. These young men are far better off within the framework of our team, protocols, safety and structure versus unlimted free time to chase girls, party and socialize.

I have said all along that there will be no fall college sports and I am sticking to it. The safety of the players, the coaches, support staff and all their families are far more important then a game.
Holy virtue signal.

You’re right though. We should just make everyone stay at home for a year minimum. No one goes to work. Too dangerous. Hell they should make families separate their living quarters so no one has any physical contact with anyone else for that year. We can’t risk anyone losing their life, right?

I have said all along that there will be no fall college sports and I am sticking to it. The safety of the players, the coaches, support staff and all their families are far more important then a game.

If these kids are going to classes, bars, restaurants, and basic college life, they are less safe there than the practice field, where they are mandating temp checks, wellness checks, etc.

There is a much bigger issue and elephant in the room here. 25 and below are dying less frequently than the flu currently, if they don't have pre-existing conditions. This is unfortunately about politics. And that's all I'll say about that. The testing data is out there. I realize you won't find it covered by the news, but the CDC updates death rate by age group, and total test every day. It's under 1000. And then when you pull pre-existing conditions, as those kids would certainly not play (many can't play football effectively with asthma, etc anyway), the death rate has now fallen below the annual death rate of the flu in people 25 and under.

There is more of a safety concern of kids driving from their off-campus house to the practice field.

Not just a game. It’s a huge business

Reactions: Smileynole
The overwhelming sentiment on the call to figure out stadium seating capacity the other week was that we will get 1-2 weeks in and it will most likely get cancelled

If these kids are going to classes, bars, restaurants, and basic college life, they are less safe there than the practice field, where they are mandating temp checks, wellness checks, etc.

There is a much bigger issue and elephant in the room here. 25 and below are dying less frequently than the flu currently, if they don't have pre-existing conditions. This is unfortunately about politics. And that's all I'll say about that. The testing data is out there. I realize you won't find it covered by the news, but the CDC updates death rate by age group, and total test every day. It's under 1000. And then when you pull pre-existing conditions, as those kids would certainly not play (many can't play football effectively with asthma, etc anyway), the death rate has now fallen below the annual death rate of the flu in people 25 and under.

There is more of a safety concern of kids driving from their off-campus house to the practice field.
I think every entity(including sports) is trying to find that magic balance point where their business can survive whilst still showing the socially acceptable level of concern for the virus.

I'm gonna laugh at the splitting of hairs of the "football must be cancelled" crowd.

Nothing changes in 6 months. Everything better be cancelled then also. Of course, a ton of sports are playing now.....and more will be in 6 months. None of the logic rings true....it's all emotional or arbitrary when applied.

Once again, the opinions of others are going to be forced onto everyone. We have heard of thousands of athletes on teams all across the country that tested positive for Covid-19... that's all we heard. Did anyone not fully recover? I would think if someone (with underlying conditions) hadn't, this would be national news and would be used as propaganda about why sports shouldn't be played?

This country functions on the premise that people are compensated for production. If there is a large enough percentage of the population being compensated for no production the system will collapse under its own weight. It’s that simple

At the rate things are going, maybe we’ll cancel after the third practice. Again. I don’t know. I’m hoping for a season, but if the Big 10 cancels, I guess everyone else will follow.

Not shocking news. And once students, teachers & staff return to our nation’s public schools the inevitable spike in Covid cases, illness & deaths will push these currently anonymous AD’s into the open. If college football fans want any chance to see football this fall they ought to be contacting their local school boards and political leaders to support “online virtual learning” this fall. PS— Hope I’m wrong but until we “triple” the number of Americans tested each day with “rapid & accurate” results with the positive cases falling below 5% of the number tested, football and our economy will be negatively impacted. Sad!

Last edited:
Yet we are practicing, what is the difference? Lets play and move on. These young men are far better off within the framework of our team, protocols, safety and structure versus unlimted free time to chase girls, party and socialize.
You mean like the rest of the guys at FSU? :eek: Because whether there's football or not, any level of attendance in person will create those activities.

Reactions: gwgwi
Once again, the opinions of others are going to be forced onto everyone. We have heard of thousands of athletes on teams all across the country that tested positive for Covid-19... that's all we heard. Did anyone not fully recover? I would think if someone (with underlying conditions) hadn't, this would be national news and would be used as propaganda about why sports shouldn't be played?
Agree.
Remember back in March we heard or we got an email from stores, restaurants, medical offices, everyone really the notice that began..."Out of an abundance of caution..." Blah blah closing blah blah.
How recently have we heard that? Now it's just wear your mask, wear your mask.
"if everyone wears a mask we can prevent almost 70,000 deaths by November!"
But...have we had very sad news breaking informing us that 27 members of Eastern Montana A&M or some other school have died from C19?
It could happen, and we could have a serious case or three develop, but how much more common is it that we have a young man die at or just after practice, and it is discovered postmortem that he had an undiagnosed heart defect? These young men are by far a healthy bunch.

I am not a denier, I presume we all share a level of education that gives us an ability and a curiosity level to stay informed, get good information from every credible source not in politics, and make good decisions with the knowledge about our own risk level. As long as these kids get good care and honest info, they can make a decision along with their family, the same way we as alumni and fans can about attending these events.

My four year old daughter has been in a large daycare for three months now. Not the first case and you think toddlers are social distancing?
How would you know? Are they being tested regularly. Children can be asymptomatic in most cases and just spread it.

It's not just a "game", it's the engine of a huge economy that many peoples livelihoods are tied to......

Reactions: goldmom
Any school or conference that are calling for the cancellation 1 month before the season are not responsible, unless they have some massive infusion of covid in their program. Having some testing positive as Fall practice begins,simply means their players and administration haven't done a good job of mitigating the virus.
Any conference that can continue their prep and begin their season on schedule,will ( or should)have a major financial reward, if others eliminate their season. Networks could be held hostage to those still participating!
I am all for prudence in protecting our players,but I do believe they are less likely to catch the virus, if they are under supervision of the staff (testing constantly), conscious of the individual and team impact of poor mitigation practices (being smart!).

I'm gonna laugh at the splitting of hairs of the "football must be cancelled" crowd.

Nothing changes in 6 months. Everything better be cancelled then also. Of course, a ton of sports are playing now.....and more will be in 6 months. None of the logic rings true....it's all emotional or arbitrary when applied.

It is all crazy. I have a friend that has a rising senior playing travel baseball. They are playing everyday and traveling all over the country to play games. He has one other son who plays Division One college baseball. He can’t meet with his coach, can’t practice, can’t play games and has been told they are more than likely not to play until there is a vaccine. So the lesson to the kids is you can play all the baseball you want until you are 18. Turn 19 you many never play again because it is too dangerous. Maybe an exaggeration but it is the reality of the insanity that is taking place. All of it will destroy this country.

So, we've gone from 'football can happen as long as there's no major outbreaks' to 'we're going to cancel football until maybe spring, to prevent any type of outbreak.'

All for the safety of the players.

When will it be safe? From injury, concussion, illness, etc?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT