ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cat 4 Michael

October storms aren't out of the question. Before Michael, I remember both Wilma and Opal impacting Florida in October. Wilma's 13 year anniversary is sometime in the coming week.
Absolutely. Matthew almost wrecked shop in Oct also. CFL and SFL still have temps in the 85 degree mark well into Nov.

I drove from my mom’s in Tally down to PC last week via the 10 to the 77 and south. Amazing to me was seeing trees, signs, etc... laid over in all points of the compass. Trees were downed to the east, south, west and north as the storm made its counter clock wise way across the landscape. From north of Lynn Haven south, downed trees and road signs actually pointed due south to the gulf. Wild.
We spent days working a chain saw and piling debris. There was an amazing group of folks in my brother’s hood who met each night to share meals in a neighbor’s side yard under tarps. I took lasagna with a pound cake desert from a sister in law in Tally for one night. The next nights we feasted on Doc Brown’s BBQ from Candler, NC that came south with me. Aperitif was Elijah Craig that rode south courtesy of our local ABC store.
Props to a dude from Iowa who came in to help his niece recover. That cat worked like a dawg to help strangers...
Power crews, specifically a crowd from Tejas sporting the colors of Volt, were abundant in this area and power to the Cove was restored a day less than two weeks after Michael stormed thru. Amazingly, the Cove houses once again missed a storm surge, but wind damage was unrelenting. Brother and wife had two trees on their house, but a two year old roof was resilient. The insurance adjuster came thru on Saturday and things will slowly but surely rebound.
That country looks very different now, but will certainly be reinvented in some different shape or form.
Wowzers.

What are the colors of Volt?
Gary, a simple white base and I think(? ) green lettering with a lightning bolt. They were one of the crews I had seen moving east on the 40 in the buildup of crews before Florence. They went south after working the Wilmington, NC area after Florence went thru.
Both the power boys and the insurance adjuster compared the two storms as very different events. Michael was primarily a wind event ( except Mexico Beach which was storm surge central), whereas Florence flooded a huge swath. The adjuster mentioned a big “lake” he drove past when leaving Wilmington that, strangely he thought, had flowers floating in it. Then he realized it was a flooded cotton field. The water is still very high down east...
One of the power guys talked about being in Puerto Rico as well, where he mentioned corruption. He said people were being charged, (by “authorities”) in certain areas for replacement of poles and transformers. No pay, no play. Disgusting.

Reactions: F4Gary
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT