ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cat 4 Michael

Have you seen the videos of the "miracle house" in Mexico Beach that survived the storm when everything else around it was demolished? It's not any kind of miracle. It's nothing more than the ability and willingness to spend what it takes. I've always said that I can build you a home that would survive any storm if your pockets are deep enough. Like everything in life, it's a cost/benefit analysis.
If building codes are changed to mimic what this guy did (which I'm sure insurance companies will strongly support) beachfront property will become even more exclusive.
Not to be "That Girl" but go back a page or two in this thread.

Ok, so I am That Girl today. Sorry.

Long time, no check in. My family fared well in the storm. We didn't even lose power. My sister in Jackson County is activated with the Florida National Guard, but did well on her house. I have no doubt she is tired.

I've been working at the SEOC since last Thursday. That place is hopping 24/7. I've worked hurricanes before, but this one is different as it destroyed a lot of my childhood. Today, I'll be in the field visiting our facilities in Jackson, Washington and Bay Counties. Tomorrow, I'll hit the rest of them. I'm not sure I'm completely prepared for what I will see. I do hope to make a side trip or two to say hi to some friends and just give them a hug. I have no doubt this has been the longest week of their lives.
What part of the state do you work for that has had you at the EOC so long? (If you don’t mind saying...and if you do, totally understandable)

My sister-in-law (Office of the Governor) has been there since October 7th (I believe). She said she’s going to lose her mind if she doesn’t get out of there soon.

Not to be "That Girl" but go back a page or two in this thread.

Ok, so I am That Girl today. Sorry.
If you're referring to the new versus old construction, it's much more than that. This homeowner exceeded the current building codes by quite a lot and along with that exceeded the cost for construction by the same margin or more. All it takes are deep pockets and a willingness to get into them.

Reactions: noleone99
If you're referring to the new versus old construction, it's much more than that. This homeowner exceeded the current building codes by quite a lot and along with that exceeded the cost for construction by the same margin or more. All it takes are deep pockets and a willingness to get into them.
Nope. I am referring to this conversation.
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

YMYan1.jpg

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Nope. I am referring to this conversation.
It was much more than an ounce of prevention. Maybe a ton of prevention with the related cost. I missed your post and that video so I don't know exactly what they say in it. But if it's the same as the others I've seen, all they do is praise the construction and don't really delve into the cost of it.

It was much more than an ounce of prevention. Maybe a ton of prevention with the related cost. I missed your post and that video so I don't know exactly what they say in it. But if it's the same as the others I've seen, all they do is praise the construction and don't really delve into the cost of it.

All in all, cost for the land and house, how much do you believe was spent?

Probably far better weapons than that, those are basically the least they would carry with small weight ammunition. I don’t claim to be a gun aficionado myself so I can’t say exactly what they are carrying, but I’m sure looters won’t want to find out.
Would have thought you wanted weapons like that banned ;)

Here is a video of the builder. He said in this video the cost was 15-20% more to build reinforced than if just standard code. Not bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleone99
I was trying to find this house using Zillow. I wanted to see what they estimate the house to be. However, I'm having trouble finding the exact location. I'm wondering if the house was built after the last satellite pictures of the area were taken.

I'm guessing the house is about a $2M house, and without the added improvements it would be closer to $1.5M.

I was trying to find this house using Zillow. I wanted to see what they estimate the house to be. However, I'm having trouble finding the exact location. I'm wondering if the house was built after the last satellite pictures of the area were taken.

I'm guessing the house is about a $2M house, and without the added improvements it would be closer to $1.5M.
Don't think it was worth that much, but I do wonder what it is worth today.

Would have thought you wanted weapons like that banned ;)

For normal people they absolutely 100% should be banned at least without substantial training and psych review. For military and law enforcement (or in this case licensed private security) absolutely they should have access. If the above was true you would have stopped 95+% of the mass shooting deaths. There’s been only a tiny fraction (really I can only think of the Ft Hood shooter) who would have had access. You mistake my interest in banning highly deadly weapons from unhinged lay individuals with an interest in hindering law enforcement or the military.

I believe it is 114 S 36th. No value estimated by Zillow.

For normal people they absolutely 100% should be banned at least without substantial training and psych review. For military and law enforcement (or in this case licensed private security) absolutely they should have access. If the above was true you would have stopped 95+% of the mass shooting deaths. There’s been only a tiny fraction (really I can only think of the Ft Hood shooter) who would have had access. You mistake my interest in banning highly deadly weapons from unhinged lay individuals with an interest in hindering law enforcement or the military.
My mistake, I didnt realize the people carrying those weapons and guarding your property were LEO/military.

My mistake, I didnt realize the people carrying those weapons and guarding your property were LEO/military.

They are employed by a licensed private security firm that are all or almost all ex SFs. I have zero issue with anyone with a legitimate reason having those types of weapons. It’s rednecks playing at being Neonazi storm troopers and incels who want to destroy their world that I don’t want having access. Heck, I’d even let appropriately licensed gun ranges have them as long as they would be sued if they lost access.

Reactions: noleclone2
Here is a video of the builder. He said in this video the cost was 15-20% more to build reinforced than if just standard code. Not bad.

That might be true of the brackets, bolts and roof tie downs but a normal house doesn't have 40' concrete piles not to mention the frequency that they are there. We use 40' piles for bridge building and don't use as many as they did on that one house.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
I believe it is 114 S 36th. No value estimated by Zillow.

I actually think the house everyone is talking about was built one lot closer to the water and is not showing up on Zillow or Google Maps. I could be wrong though.

I actually think the house everyone is talking about was built one lot closer to the water and is not showing up on Zillow or Google Maps. I could be wrong though.

you may be correct. that is definitely the street/location though. Zillow does show that empty lot as being sold in 2015.

They are employed by a licensed private security firm that are all or almost all ex SFs. I have zero issue with anyone with a legitimate reason having those types of weapons. It’s rednecks playing at being Neonazi storm troopers and incels who want to destroy their world that I don’t want having access. Heck, I’d even let appropriately licensed gun ranges have them as long as they would be sued if they lost access.
I worry more about the mass shootings than I do people playing army in the woods.

Both Bay and Emerald Coast suffered pretty major damage, but we were told by a nurse who also worked at Bay said they still had patients on the top floor when a tornado ripped off the roof and that she saw bodies on the street after the fact. That made me very glad we evacuated our patients and staff on Monday.
Wait...what? There were hospital patients that were dead in the streets after a tornado ripped through Bay Medical?

Last edited:
Wait...what? There were hospital patients' that were dead in the streets after a tornado ripped through Bay Medical?

That’s what I was told. The news articles don’t mention it, but I’ve heard it from multiple eyewitnesses. And when you look at the damage and realise they stupidly didn’t evacuate unlike my facility, it almost has to be true. We evacuated Monday, they didn’t evacuate until Thursday.

https://amp.pnj.com/amp/1604265002

Last edited:
What part of the state do you work for that has had you at the EOC so long? (If you don’t mind saying...and if you do, totally understandable)

My sister-in-law (Office of the Governor) has been there since October 7th (I believe). She said she’s going to lose her mind if she doesn’t get out of there soon.
Mainly working in ESF 14, External Affairs. I’ve been doing some in 8, Public Health and Medical.

So, today was crazy. It is hard to describe. We started off in Jackson County. You could slowly start seeing more and more damage along the way, but bam Mariana was crazy. They took a lot of damage. Our employees were hurting and many still without power, utilized all of the nearly 50 bags of ice we brought with us.

We still had employees to visit in Washington and Bay, so I called my badass sister and who serves in the National Guard and she hooked us up. Luckily, Washington County is getting closer to normal. Still some needs, but relatively speaking they were doing ok. They did warn us about PC.

Going home, was surreal. I can’t even describe it. The best I can do is to say it looked like the depiction of Bastogne on Band of Brothers. We had one employee whose house was flattened, but she was just happy to be at work. Good for her. I’d probably be in a drunken stupor.

After we left our location in PC, I wanted to go by my old hood and see it. We thought Opal was bad. Michael was worse. I stopped and knocked on my best man’s parents door and just gave his mom a hug. So many people have needs and the simplest one is to just give someone a hug sometime and let them know you’re thinking of them.

On a little lighter note, I did sneak a cooler of beer into the car for my buddy who drove up from Miami to help his parents. Everyone can use a beer now and then, he needed one, so he got 12.

Academi merged with Triple Canopy to form Constellis Group in 2014 and still goes under that named.
Who called them in?

Good question, I don’t know who’s paying them unless it’s a “charity” issue. But they’ve been tasked to security and search and rescue. I can ask him when I see him tomorrow.

Long time, no check in. My family fared well in the storm. We didn't even lose power. My sister in Jackson County is activated with the Florida National Guard, but did well on her house. I have no doubt she is tired.

I've been working at the SEOC since last Thursday. That place is hopping 24/7. I've worked hurricanes before, but this one is different as it destroyed a lot of my childhood. Today, I'll be in the field visiting our facilities in Jackson, Washington and Bay Counties. Tomorrow, I'll hit the rest of them. I'm not sure I'm completely prepared for what I will see. I do hope to make a side trip or two to say hi to some friends and just give them a hug. I have no doubt this has been the longest week of their lives.
Thank you for your work Runk.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
There is a big development in St John's/Duval - Nocatee - that committed to constructing a safe room in every home.

Michael has me thinking of super reinforcing an interior closet at our house.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
There will be a LOT of debris that has to be put somewhere. We have a habit of digging holes, dumping and walking off (or shipping to some other state). Clearly that isn't sustainable.

Has anyone heard what they are doing with all the refuse that is being cleared? I would assume much cannot be recycled in its current form. I hope that they are just putting it into dumps and moving along but I suspect that may be the case. Both from the cities / structures that were leveled, but also the forest area that was hit. Leaving it will only present more of a fire hazard in the years to come.

Was looking at some other locations that are more "mature" with their garbage. Interesting solutions....
Tokyo's solution.
Singapore
Sweden seems to have solved the dirty burn issue.

We have space, they do not; but we will run out of space but we do have the attitude that "not in my lifetime, so not my problem. "
Just saw a 10 flatbed caravan with another 5 travel trailers all with the logo "Hauling Away" on the side heading down 95 in SC, presumably towards the panhandle. On the flatbeds were huge mega-dumpsters, maybe 2-3x's the size of a normal construction dumpster.

Just saw a 10 flatbed caravan with another 5 travel trailers all with the logo "Hauling Away" on the side heading down 95 in SC, presumably towards the panhandle. On the flatbeds were huge mega-dumpsters, maybe 2-3x's the size of a normal construction dumpster.

Interesting. It is a whole town that needs to be disposed of. I don't think I can fathom the size of the stack of materials that equates to.

After Irma last year I would see 2 or 3 piggy backed dump trucks hauling debris back and forth on A1A every day on my way to and from work. This lasted for quite a few months. On the side of the trucks it said FEMA somthing...I can't exactly remember. But I do remember wondering what they do with all that debris.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT