ADVERTISEMENT

Now Cat 4 Michael

The hour by hour seems to indicate a peak around 7-9 pm. However it doesn’t show much more than 50 mph winds.

Folks seriously

Stay away from big windows, French doors and sliding doors!!
No joke

Construction up there as far as fasteners ( screws) being small and undersized can allow the whole window or door to blow in, right out of the opening!

I did a house in Amelia Island a few years ago and I used 1/4” by 3-31/4” long stainless tap cons and screws on all windows and doors

I had to bring them up from ft laud as the supply houses didn’t carry anything close to that size

Overkill? Maybe, but I know they will not blow out of the opening!
The bldg inspector had never seen anything like that!

Reactions: NoleLizards
Those in Tally

Don’t slack off in being prepared

A slight jog to the east and it’s a major problem for you

These things move and rarely stay in a straight line

Case in point was Andrew, it was to hit more north, but in the middle of night jogged south and Miami/dade got destroyed

Not trying to scare you, but yeah do not get complacent!!

Sorry for all the posts but these things are to be taken seriously!

I just feel like we can’t find out how bad it will be in Tally. Not thinking I need to get out of dodge but Hermine was scary.

Reactions: noleone99
I live waterfront in Lynn Haven (Bay County). After about 6 hours of prep I think I’m ready...you know “Famous Last Words”. In no way do I feel my life is in danger except for falling trees. Nor do I expect major inconvenience...except insurance claims. Will keep y’all posted. LR gamblers can start now on the odds y’all will ever hear from me again . By the way, cocktails on the patio, it’s a beautiful evening.

Trees especially large oaks seem to have a real problem with saturated soil and very strong winds

I guess the large canopies in the wind are too much for them

It’s a shame that a 50 yr +old tree comes down in these storms

At least it’s a daytime storm so you guys can keep an eye on things

Reactions: goldmom and gwgwi
I live waterfront in Lynn Haven (Bay County). After about 6 hours of prep I think I’m ready...you know “Famous Last Words”. In no way do I feel my life is in danger except for falling trees. Nor do I expect major inconvenience...except insurance claims. Will keep y’all posted. LR gamblers can start now on the odds y’all will ever hear from me again . By the way, cocktails on the patio, it’s a beautiful evening.
Got a brother and SIL in the Cove, Panama City. Frame house built in the 20’s that has survived to this day. His only concern is a big oak tree. They are bunkered down.
PC Beach seems to get slapped with each storm while the Cove does not.
Must be partly to do with how the storms get funneled by the seabed, protection by being inside the harbor, luck, etc...

Man. This thing keeps getting stronger and more organized every update. Possibility of a Cat 4 now. This thing was a blustery blob of clouds a few days ago. Crazy how they can just blow up overnight in the gulf.

At least in the Atlantic we usually see these from a week out. This one just got real in less than a day. Reminds me of Charley back in 04 that went from a nothingburger to deadly catastrophic in an afternoon.

Just in the last hour, the eye has cleared, and it has become a solid CAT4. 130mph winds were found in NE quadrant. Godspeed to PCB.

DpG0ZruWkAAFufe.jpg

Hey Poop...I’ve been watching this for about a week. Not criticizing just saying...it’s October and it’s time to watch the Caribbean for those of us on the Gulf side

Power in Tally is gonna take a major hit. Those old trees haven’t seen a blow with these level winds in a LONG time. Hope everyone has generators ready to roll.

Town is gonna be a mess for the Wake game.

So if campus is closed, what do they do with all the kids in dorms that don't have means to leave or friends/family in the area? Do they force the kids out into local shelters, have a shelter on campus or are the dorms still open even though campus is closed?

Shelter on campus, most of the buildings have backup generators and are some of the safest places to be in Tallahassee. No trees to worry about falling on the bedroom, and they aren't going to get blown over by 110mph winds.

Hurricane Michael could be the worst ever to hit Tally.... 3 things....

1) Deadly Tree damage...
2) Tornados...
3) Power outages - down power lines...

Go Noles and God Bless....

Reactions: goldmom
Trees especially large oaks seem to have a real problem with saturated soil and very strong winds

I guess the large canopies in the wind are too much for them

It’s a shame that a 50 yr +old tree comes down in these storms

At least it’s a daytime storm so you guys can keep an eye on things
Coming from a park ranger (I know I know) in Tallahassee the pine trees have the ole “tap root” they can upend quick-like too. I hope everyone stays safe this stuff is scary. Tallahassee and its trees are not gonna fare well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s bad. It is looking like it may break the strongest landfalling panhandle cane in recorded history. Tallahassee may not have any canopy roads after this.

Shelter on campus, most of the buildings have backup generators and are some of the safest places to be in Tallahassee. No trees to worry about falling on the bedroom, and they aren't going to get blown over by 110mph winds.
So when did they lock the dorms? Or do they keep them open and evacuate everyone in the am? If they closed them when they closed the school yesterday, all those kids have to stay in an on campus shelter and sit around on cots all the last few days waiting around for this thing to hit tomorrow? I guess im just having a hard time figuring out how they force these kids out of where they live and into some big room and just sit there for a few days bored as hell. And how do they know all of these kids haven't left their dorms? I bet me and my friends wouldn't leave too easily and would prefer to ride it out and party.

Hey Poop...I’ve been watching this for about a week. Not criticizing just saying...it’s October and it’s time to watch the Caribbean for those of us on the Gulf side
No offense taken. Ive been keeping an eye on it for a while as well, just wanted to point out that the gulf storms have a mind of their own and seemingly have more propensity to go ham or chill on a whim vs the atlantic storms.

I don't think by the Campus being "Closed" they mean evacuated. I would think the students would be able to shelter in their dorm rooms. Classroom buildings are closed and university staff don't need to report to work. I am guessing this also means the dining halls and student centers will also be closed, so students won't have anywhere to go, other than they dorms.

I would think evacuating campus would be an entirely different thing, and FSUPD, along with TPD, would probably be involved to make sure everyone actually left campus.

So when did they lock the dorms? Or do they keep them open and evacuate everyone in the am? If they closed them when they closed the school yesterday, all those kids have to stay in an on campus shelter and sit around on cots all the last few days waiting around for this thing to hit tomorrow? I guess im just having a hard time figuring out how they force these kids out of where they live and into some big room and just sit there for a few days bored as hell. And how do they know all of these kids haven't left their dorms? I bet me and my friends wouldn't leave too easily and would prefer to ride it out and party.

My niece is a freshman in a dorm and she decided to ride it out. Her dorm was open today. They will have a "shelter in place", but I don't know what that means. FSU said that they will deliver meals to the dorms during the storm and that the dining halls will be open after. I haven't heard from her tonight. She was planning on charging up her phone and saving battery anticipating power out for a while.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
So if campus is closed, what do they do with all the kids in dorms that don't have means to leave or friends/family in the area? Do they force the kids out into local shelters, have a shelter on campus or are the dorms still open even though campus is closed?
From https://alerts.fsu.edu/

Students are encouraged to discuss possible travel plans with family and friends. DO NOT travel into the path of the storm. Please continue to monitor the latest weather information from the National Weather Service or other official weather sources.

FSU is prepared to support students throughout the storm. All university departments are engaged and prepared to respond to student needs. On-campus residence halls and dining facilities will remain open for current residential students during the closure.

Students who chose to stay will be advised to follow a "shelter in place" protocol during the storm. That is, stay indoors, away from doors and windows, during the storm. Meals will be delivered to the residence halls before the storm.

My niece is a freshman in a dorm and she decided to ride it out. Her dorm was open today. They will have a "shelter in place", but I don't know what that means. FSU said that they will deliver meals to the dorms during the storm and that the dining halls will be open after. I haven't heard from her tonight. She was planning on charging up her phone and saving battery anticipating power out for a while.
Makes sense. But those poor schlubs delivering pb&j and warm dr check's to Johnny and Sue during a cat3-4 storm better get paid treefitty an hr.

Reactions: RTM58
Makes sense. But those poor schlubs delivering pb&j and warm dr check's to Johnny and Sue during a cat3-4 storm better get paid treefitty an hr.

LOL, Ostrich's message makes more sense. They will deliver food BEFORE the storm. If this thing lands as a Cat 4, I have a feeling that power is going to be out a long time. Hope they have plenty of nonperishable food and water on campus.

Reactions: 1clermontnole
Just left my place at Mexico Beach today at lunch. Been working on securing my house and boat, and helping neighbors with theirs, for the last 2 days. I hope they weren’t futile efforts. It looks like it could be ground zero

Reactions: Random_John

Lol, I just remembered.....

When I was a FR in 1995 at FSU and Opal came through. My dad (Lt. Col. in Marines stationed in CA at the time) sent me a case of MRE’s.

Wound up not being necessary, but my friends got a kick out of those things. Especially the chemical ovens that we used to blow up 2 liter bottles.

Reactions: runkpanole
Just left my dads house which on St. Andrews bay in PC. The tide has been unusually high all week, we aren’t thinking it has anything to do with the storm either. High tide is at 2pm tomorrow. Low tide is at 4:50am. That’s not a good combo.

I have a very bad feeling about this one. I’ve been through every hurricane that has come through that area since 1978, but none of them have looked like this, or given me this feeling.

Praying for all my friends there. Even a bigger prayer for my Father who is in the hospital there. They have locked up the building until Friday, no one in or out till then. Probably the safest building in town, so that’s a plus.

Stay safe out there friends

I'm thinking things will NOT be normal by next weekend re: power and debris cleanup, although...per the political ads we've all been subjected to, I'm thinking that certain politicians will be busting it to get things turned around very quickly, (Note: Most assuredly not trying to start anything here!)
The important thing is that everyone is safe. Thinking of all my Tally friends!

I'm thinking things will NOT be normal by next weekend re: power and debris cleanup, although...per the political ads we've all been subjected to, I'm thinking that certain politicians will be busting it to get things turned around very quickly, (Note: Most assuredly not trying to start anything here!)
The important thing is that everyone is safe. Thinking of all my Tally friends!
Well if any positives can come out of this...

25$ CC tickets for Wake game, holla! Might make the trip if the prices fall cause of this thing, havent been to the new club yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT