ADVERTISEMENT

O A

SoddyNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jan 9, 2009
Has anyone watched this series? I have only watched the first two episodes so hide any spoilers please. During the premier I wasn't too impressed and they insert a brief odd out of place sex scene of a kid who is supposed to be a teenager. But about 2/3rds the way through it picked up the pace and got interesting enough for me to watch the 2nd episode. It continues to build on the first episode and by the end you are definitely hooked into watching the 3rd.

Is this show worth the time invested? Some of the acting is not the best but the story at this point is interesting none the less.

Don't have any idea what you're talking about. I assumed this was going to be a thread about the now defunct Opie & Anthony show.

I've watched the entire season, and like what others have said, I was hooked after the 2nd episode, but without getting too spoilery...the season finale lost it for me.

Reactions: peezy28
Umm...really tough call on whether it's "worth it" or not. It's not a slam dunk by any means. On the other hand, I finished it and found it mildly worthwhile. There's some good stuff in there, some good performances and the characters are fairly interesting. I found a few moments somewhat moving, but that's me.

I'd give it maybe a B-. But it doesn't at any point get AWESOME! so I wouldn't hold out for that. If you're still not into it after four episodes I'd dump it.

I felt similarly about Stranger Things but I think it's a bit weaker than stranger things overall. Stranger Things was a little tighter narrative, had a little stronger sense of it's look and feel, and more momentum throughout. From 1000 feet above they're pretty similar, but I think the OA was a notch or two below.

If you want something kind of weird/mysterious/strange, and have Amazon Prime, I would strongly suggest Fortitude instead. I think that was a much stronger show, but you might need to watch with closed caption because of the funky accents. It's a harsher show though, without the feels of the OA.

No clue what it is, but Ive also never watched Stranger things, listened to Anthony/Opie, or even looked at Amazon prime for TV.

It's ok if you have absolutely nothing better to watch, but honestly you should stop now. The new show on FX, Taboo with Tom Hardy looks much better. Homeland is also starting back up.

It nosedives really badly, in my opinion. Like, bad.

Without getting too spoilery, a LARGE part of show centers around interpretive yoga dance move chants.

Reactions: peezy28 and nynole1
It's definitely sn interesting show. It veers one direction and then back in another by the time you get to the end. Still not sure what happened, but I have my theories.

It's all about expectations. Don't expect the BEST amd you'll be okay. The visuals can be exceptional. And if you enjoy watching a show, and being (possibly) dissatisfied with the VERY end, don't watch.

All that said, I would re-watch with lower expectations.

(yes, the sex scene was VERY out of place)

I really enjoyed it, interesting premise and great show to binge watch. Final episode didn't go through way I'd hoped, but still enjoyed the show.

I have never been so conflicted about a show. It had potential to be fantastic but came up way short. It's almost like it was written without an ending and then one was hastily slapped on at the end. The yoga dance moves others have referred to is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a show. This show is not nearly as good as Stranger Things.

On another Netflix/sci-fi note, did anyone see the movie Spectral? I thought that was pretty good for what it was.

Reactions: peezy28 and RTM58
I have never been so conflicted about a show. It had potential to be fantastic but came up way short. It's almost like it was written without an ending and then one was hastily slapped on at the end. The yoga dance moves others have referred to is probably one of the dumbest things I've ever seen in a show. This show is not nearly as good as Stranger Things.

On another Netflix/sci-fi note, did anyone see the movie Spectral? I thought that was pretty good for what it was.

NO WHERE near Stranger Things. And I'm not sure I'd watch a Season 2 of this show....Not sure I have faith in it to commit the time where I'd be rewarded. But that's me.

I agree about the conflict.

One last thing. I've got an LG B6 OLED TV, and the visuals were absolutely stunning, specifically the ending of the first episode in Russia. Absolutely beautiful camera work.

Reactions: nynole1

NO WHERE near Stranger Things. And I'm not sure I'd watch a Season 2 of this show....Not sure I have faith in it to commit the time where I'd be rewarded. But that's me.

I agree about the conflict.

One last thing. I've got an LG B6 OLED TV, and the visuals were absolutely stunning, specifically the ending of the first episode in Russia. Absolutely beautiful camera work.

The first few episodes, the premise was amazing. Different and tons of potential,but it just seemed to stall and not live up to its potential.

I enjoyed it and if another season is added would have to watch the next episode.

How much of this story comes from her imagination? We are told in early in the episodes she has much more than every day mental issues and needs to be in an institution. What about he significance of the nose bleeding? Is this the beginning of a psychotic lapse and how far does her psychosis go? Since she is our narrator this is very hard to be conclusive on. Her state of mind would explain the self mutilations and ability to handle pain of the dog bit and stabbed by a pencil as well as some of the plot holes in this story. It would also explain the death fantasies, supernatural events, mysticism and why the yoga appears to be more of an interpretive dance and oddly out of place.

Assuming we are to take the scenes with the parents as reality, how exactly did she get her sight back and where has she been for 7 years? Why was Steve back at school in the final scene? What was Elias doing in Prairie's house at night when no one was home? If the intent was to stage the books under her bed, why and for what purpose? Having a deadly allergy to tomatoes, why would Dr. Hap have a can of tomato paste in his cabinet? Do all the holes in the narrative point to the entire story being fantasy? The season concludes with Prairie waking up in a white room. Is this the institution she has been at all along, captured by Dr. Hap again, under the FBI therapist care or moved on to another plane of existence?

I enjoyed it and if another season is added would have to watch the next episode.

How much of this story comes from her imagination? We are told in early in the episodes she has much more than every day mental issues and needs to be in an institution. What about he significance of the nose bleeding? Is this the beginning of a psychotic lapse and how far does her psychosis go? Since she is our narrator this is very hard to be conclusive on. Her state of mind would explain the self mutilations and ability to handle pain of the dog bit and stabbed by a pencil as well as some of the plot holes in this story. It would also explain the death fantasies, supernatural events, mysticism and why the yoga appears to be more of an interpretive dance and oddly out of place.

Assuming we are to take the scenes with the parents as reality, how exactly did she get her sight back and where has she been for 7 years? Why was Steve back at school in the final scene? What was Elias doing in Prairie's house at night when no one was home? If the intent was to stage the books under her bed, why and for what purpose? Having a deadly allergy to tomatoes, why would Dr. Hap have a can of tomato paste in his cabinet? Do all the holes in the narrative point to the entire story being fantasy? The season concludes with Prairie waking up in a white room. Is this the institution she has been at all along, captured by Dr. Hap again, under the FBI therapist care or moved on to another plane of existence?

We need a new thread to be able to discuss this stuff in depth, so as not to spoil it for those who haven't seen or finished watching the show. I'm right there with you on the theories you mentioned, there's too much to ignore that doesn't add up. That is likely the only saving grace for Season 2.

Reactions: SoddyNole and RTM58

I really lean toward all those loose ends being a result of a kind of shoddy show. Maybe it's on purpose too, but I really think it's just not that tightly written. I feel like it's really going for a feeling or an experience rather than a narrative to be picked apart the way we do today.

Here's my biggest head scratcher...They cut the dance moves into their skin to remember and learn them. So...how the hell did they cut them into their own back? That makes zero sense. They have no contact with each other, so they can't do them on each other. If they cut them on their legs or forearms it might make sense, but they cut them on the one part of their body it would be entirely impossible to do so.

I can't get past that. I think the most generous explanation is that the entire story of Prairie's is a fantasy, or took place in another dimension or whatever, and those plot holes are purposeful signals to the viewer. The fact that the kids can't find confirmation of people or events indicates that.

However...she did get her sight back, and she really does have the back scars...so wtf? And then, there are things that happen when Prairie isn't even present, like Hap killing that Doctor. Who is even telling that part of the story? Is Prairie telling that to the kids, how would she know? If she doesn't know, why is the viewer shown that? So that implies it's real...because it would be nobody's fantasy.

And none of the fantasy/reality issue explains why Steve is back at school in what we know is reality.

I really think it is just a story of perseverance and faith. And I think it mostly works. I was moved by the characters that were helping her...how they believed her earnestly, how they found some peace themselves. I thought that really worked. The dancing was stupid as hell, but I won't deny that I found it a little bit moving at the end.

But I think otherwise, it was just really poorly written...I don't think the plot holes can be explained away.

I really lean toward all those loose ends being a result of a kind of shoddy show. Maybe it's on purpose too, but I really think it's just not that tightly written. I feel like it's really going for a feeling or an experience rather than a narrative to be picked apart the way we do today.

Here's my biggest head scratcher...They cut the dance moves into their skin to remember and learn them. So...how the hell did they cut them into their own back? That makes zero sense. They have no contact with each other, so they can't do them on each other. If they cut them on their legs or forearms it might make sense, but they cut them on the one part of their body it would be entirely impossible to do so.

I can't get past that. I think the most generous explanation is that the entire story of Prairie's is a fantasy, or took place in another dimension or whatever, and those plot holes are purposeful signals to the viewer. The fact that the kids can't find confirmation of people or events indicates that.

However...she did get her sight back, and she really does have the back scars...so wtf? And then, there are things that happen when Prairie isn't even present, like Hap killing that Doctor. Who is even telling that part of the story? Is Prairie telling that to the kids, how would she know? If she doesn't know, why is the viewer shown that? So that implies it's real...because it would be nobody's fantasy.

And none of the fantasy/reality issue explains why Steve is back at school in what we know is reality.

I really think it is just a story of perseverance and faith. And I think it mostly works. I was moved by the characters that were helping her...how they believed her earnestly, how they found some peace themselves. I thought that really worked. The dancing was stupid as hell, but I won't deny that I found it a little bit moving at the end.

But I think otherwise, it was just really poorly written...I don't think the plot holes can be explained away.

To me, it is clearly either fantasy or another dimension. If she did escape the prison, then why no urgency to find Homer and Hap and the other survivors through traditional means? She could easily help describe all the info to the feds to help find the house.

As far as everything the viewer sees, all of it is basically what the OA tells the 5. It's all stories that she has told them.

The only confirmation we get that any of the people she describes in her stories is that youtube video of Homer playing football. Other than that, no one else can find anything else to match up to her stories.

There's lots of fantastical elements in her story.

The doctor's heartbeat radio
His ability to find NDE survivors, including the ludicrous Cuban guitarist
He flies willy nilly back and forth from Cuba

There's a lot of suspension of disbelief if you believe any of OA's story is anything but a story. Especially if you believe that she is actually blind.

There are still lots of unknowns. Like where was the OA for the past XX years? How did she end up on that bridge that she jumps off of at the beginning? Why is she being followed and monitored by these mysterious federal agencies?

I suspect what we'll find out in season 2 is probably something similar to MK Ultra with Stranger Things. She (the OA) may have some supernatural abilities and possible getting tests run on her or something similar. Then again, if that were true, why didn't they just come and take her back to their labs if that were true, similar to what happened in Stranger Things.

Or we may even see her waking up in Season 2 to a completely different reality, something different than we've seen. Each story we saw in Season 1 may be another reality, another dimension that she goes to when she sleeps or something.

I'll likely watch Season 2 to see how all those questions get answered.
[/spoilers]

Last edited:
Reactions: SoddyNole
To me, it is clearly either fantasy or another dimension. If she did escape the prison, then why no urgency to find Hap and the other survivors through traditional means? She could easily help describe all the info to the feds to help find the house.

As far as everything the viewer sees, all of it is basically what the OA tells the 5. It's all stories that she has told them.

The only confirmation we get that any of the people she describes in her stories is that youtube video of Hap playing football. Other than that, no one else can find anything else to match up to her stories.

There's lots of fantastical elements in her story.

The doctor's heartbeat radio
His ability to find NDE survivors, including the ludicrous Cuban guitarist
He flies willy nilly back and forth from Cuba

There's a lot of suspension of disbelief if you believe any of OA's story is anything but a story. Especially if you believe that she is actually blind.

There are still lots of unknowns. Like where was the OA for the past XX years? How did she end up on that bridge that she jumps off of at the beginning? Why is she being followed and monitored by these mysterious federal agencies?

I suspect what we'll find out in season 2 is probably something similar to MK Ultra with Stranger Things. She (the OA) may have some supernatural abilities and possible getting tests run on her or something similar. Then again, if that were true, why didn't they just come and take her back to their labs if that were true, similar to what happened in Stranger Things.

Or we may even see her waking up in Season 2 to a completely different reality, something different than we've seen. Each story we saw in Season 1 may be another reality, another dimension that she goes to when she sleeps or something.

I'll likely watch Season 2 to see how all those questions get answered.
[/spoilers]

I think it could make sense that the entire Hap story is a fantasy. (Another plot hole...why on earth would Hap have the pod wired for video, water, gas...but not sound? Absurd) Let's say that instead of what she describes, she actually suffered a much more traumatic experience, and this was her break from reality of how she dealt with it.

That does open up some interesting possibilities...the most interesting of which is...what if the Hap captivity story is all fantasy, BUT the other dimension part IS NOT. That she really does have a connection to another dimension.

Still...in the real world, I think you have to accept that she was blind and regained her sight, and that she has the scars. I suppose the scars could be the result of some other kind of mistreatment, one more thing her reality break needs to explain away.

I'm still not convinced it's not just substandard writing. Even if she's relating a fantasy...these plot holes would be obvious to her listeners in the real world. "How did you carve your own back?" "How do you know that Hap traveled and killed another doctor? (or any of Hap's adventures not involving her or Homer...first trip to Cuba, etc)"

Now, you could argue that the fact they DON'T question obvious things, says something important about THEM, that's part of the story that they need this to be true because of what's missing in their lives. But that might be giving the show too much credit...if that's the point, they could have nailed the point a little better. Otherwise, it could also be that they don't question it because the writers don't want them to question it for the story, which is what it feels like.

I am intrigued by your possibility that she has been in a covert program because of her "abilities", and the FBI counselor is sort of her "handler". That might fit that she was being experimented on etc, and it being so traumatic she had a break from reality to deal with it. And it fits the idea that I find intriguing, that her other dimension travel is real, while the Hap stuff is fantasy.

I suppose you could end up with her back in a facility of some sort in season 2, her being shot having given them an opportunity to stage her death.

I'm actually finding this discussion of the show a lot more interesting than the show itself.

I think it could make sense that the entire Hap story is a fantasy. (Another plot hole...why on earth would Hap have the pod wired for video, water, gas...but not sound? Absurd) Let's say that instead of what she describes, she actually suffered a much more traumatic experience, and this was her break from reality of how she dealt with it.

That does open up some interesting possibilities...the most interesting of which is...what if the Hap captivity story is all fantasy, BUT the other dimension part IS NOT. That she really does have a connection to another dimension.

Still...in the real world, I think you have to accept that she was blind and regained her sight, and that she has the scars. I suppose the scars could be the result of some other kind of mistreatment, one more thing her reality break needs to explain away.

I'm still not convinced it's not just substandard writing. Even if she's relating a fantasy...these plot holes would be obvious to her listeners in the real world. "How did you carve your own back?" "How do you know that Hap traveled and killed another doctor? (or any of Hap's adventures not involving her or Homer...first trip to Cuba, etc)"

Now, you could argue that the fact they DON'T question obvious things, says something important about THEM, that's part of the story that they need this to be true because of what's missing in their lives. But that might be giving the show too much credit...if that's the point, they could have nailed the point a little better. Otherwise, it could also be that they don't question it because the writers don't want them to question it for the story, which is what it feels like.

I am intrigued by your possibility that she has been in a covert program because of her "abilities", and the FBI counselor is sort of her "handler". That might fit that she was being experimented on etc, and it being so traumatic she had a break from reality to deal with it. And it fits the idea that I find intriguing, that her other dimension travel is real, while the Hap stuff is fantasy.

I suppose you could end up with her back in a facility of some sort in season 2, her being shot having given them an opportunity to stage her death.

I'm actually finding this discussion of the show a lot more interesting than the show itself.

Yeah, I tended to see the "5" that she picks as hand-selected by her for a reason. Each one wanted to believe her for their own reasons. If you look at each person she selected, they are all damaged in one way, shape, or form. And she keyed in on each one for that reason: they wanted to believe. Particularly the teacher, as we find out about her relationship with her deceased brother.

The one that didn't seem to belong was the drug-taking lacrosse player with the drunk mother. He's damaged goods, too, though.

The 5 seem to be enthralled with the mystery so much that they only seem to search what the OA tells her about and don't try to discredit her story, even though there are huge holes in it at every turn. But, as with most shows dealing with supernatural powers, it could be one of those "if you don't believe 100%, then it won't work" situations where she needed them to buy in all the way.

If you go back and think through the earlier episodes, more questions arise. Like her need for the internet. What the hell did she need internet so desperately for? It becomes clear as the show goes on that she's undergone extensive psychiatric evaluation and treatment from her childhood and everyone is treating her abduction with a large amount of skepticism. Instead of putting out a manhunt, it's really just keeping an eye on her.

And why would she get returned to her adoptive parents and not admitted into an institution? She's not a minor. |

All signs point to things not being on the level, hence why I believe there's much more to the story than what we've been shown. The audience is much like the 5 that she's been telling stories to. We aren't really sure what to believe or what is real and what isn't. It feels like we're given JUST enough information to question the validity of everything we see but not too much that we dismiss everything as a whole. I agree that the writing could be tighter. And it's entirely possible some of the information left out is due to lack of foresight and talented writing. Then again, some of the holes left there could be intentional to give the writers room to work with for Season 2. After all, if all those holes were written too tightly, there wouldn't be a lot of freedom to write in Season 2.

I haven't read too much into the fan theories on this show, to be honest. Not like I did for Westworld and the Night Of. Binge watched The OA in one weekend with the wife and then we chatted about it. Outside of that, I didn't do much other research. I'm sure there are others that have dissected it much more thoroughly and accurately than I have. Unlike some other shows, I didn't watch any episodes more than once. In doing so, I may have missed a lot of information.

Since I'm kinda out of shows to watch until GOT and the spring shows start back up, I may go back and re-watch some of The OA over again to see if there are details I missed 1st time around.

Yeah, I tended to see the "5" that she picks as hand-selected by her for a reason. Each one wanted to believe her for their own reasons. If you look at each person she selected, they are all damaged in one way, shape, or form. And she keyed in on each one for that reason: they wanted to believe. Particularly the teacher, as we find out about her relationship with her deceased brother.

The one that didn't seem to belong was the drug-taking lacrosse player with the drunk mother. He's damaged goods, too, though.

The 5 seem to be enthralled with the mystery so much that they only seem to search what the OA tells her about and don't try to discredit her story, even though there are huge holes in it at every turn. But, as with most shows dealing with supernatural powers, it could be one of those "if you don't believe 100%, then it won't work" situations where she needed them to buy in all the way.

If you go back and think through the earlier episodes, more questions arise. Like her need for the internet. What the hell did she need internet so desperately for? It becomes clear as the show goes on that she's undergone extensive psychiatric evaluation and treatment from her childhood and everyone is treating her abduction with a large amount of skepticism. Instead of putting out a manhunt, it's really just keeping an eye on her.

And why would she get returned to her adoptive parents and not admitted into an institution? She's not a minor. |

All signs point to things not being on the level, hence why I believe there's much more to the story than what we've been shown. The audience is much like the 5 that she's been telling stories to. We aren't really sure what to believe or what is real and what isn't. It feels like we're given JUST enough information to question the validity of everything we see but not too much that we dismiss everything as a whole. I agree that the writing could be tighter. And it's entirely possible some of the information left out is due to lack of foresight and talented writing. Then again, some of the holes left there could be intentional to give the writers room to work with for Season 2. After all, if all those holes were written too tightly, there wouldn't be a lot of freedom to write in Season 2.

I haven't read too much into the fan theories on this show, to be honest. Not like I did for Westworld and the Night Of. Binge watched The OA in one weekend with the wife and then we chatted about it. Outside of that, I didn't do much other research. I'm sure there are others that have dissected it much more thoroughly and accurately than I have. Unlike some other shows, I didn't watch any episodes more than once. In doing so, I may have missed a lot of information.

Since I'm kinda out of shows to watch until GOT and the spring shows start back up, I may go back and re-watch some of The OA over again to see if there are details I missed 1st time around.

You give it a lot more credit than I do, but I've enjoyed discussing it and it opens some possibilities in my mind other than it's just not a great show. I would give Season 2 a look, but probably only give it a couple episodes to either start closing plot holes or give a damn good reason for them. If it's just more of the same where you don't know what to believe, and no real direction either way in the writing...eh, that's enough for me. There just wasn't enough really good stuff around it to keep pushing through the nonsense.

You give it a lot more credit than I do, but I've enjoyed discussing it and it opens some possibilities in my mind other than it's just not a great show. I would give Season 2 a look, but probably only give it a couple episodes to either start closing plot holes or give a damn good reason for them. If it's just more of the same where you don't know what to believe, and no real direction either way in the writing...eh, that's enough for me. There just wasn't enough really good stuff around it to keep pushing through the nonsense.

I can certainly see that Lou. If I had more shows to watch and focus on these days, I probably wouldn't invest much more in it. With some shows, I'm more skeptical. With others, I connect more with the subject matter. This is one of those that captured more of my interest than most others. Will do the same and give Season 2 a couple episodes to start putting things together, rather than committing to the entire season all-together.

I agree with @Nole Lou, the discussion of the show is actually better than the show itself.

I think at least part of it has to be imagined since the dance or whatever you call that crap had no effect on the school shooter.

@dmm5157, if you are looking for a show, try Taboo on FX.

After thinking about this show, I believe all the resurrection and her being involved with Hap is all part of her psychosis. Thy mystical/paranormal part of this show could possibly be the dreams are allowing her to see into the future. Her illness puts her inside the action but I don't believe she was ever actually on the bus as a child, in Hap's dungeon, nor was she at the school in the season finally. I think her waking up in a white room proves at the very end she is still on earth and in some type of institution. If I remember correctly, none of Her visions of the after life had a white washed room. I suspect the FBI (who we assume is the FBI) at sometime finds out Prairie has this ability to see into the future and uses her to find and or influence future events before they occur, sort of like the Precogs in the Minority report. This may be why her instructions from the FBI therapist was to let the dreams happen and not fight them. Remember his comment to the kid ,who was upset about the lies and finding the books under her bed, that "even lies can have two meanings". I wonder if each person who is being held captive in Hap's dungeon may actually be one that will perpetrate a heinous action in the future. Maybe the person she is seeing as her father is someone who is responsible for the bus crashing into the lake and killing the children? Could the shooter at the school have been Homer or the other guy? We never see who the shooter is. Or possibly all the events surrounding Hap are not the past but a future event yet to occur. This would explain why the FBI is not pressing her for more information at this time about Hap. Prairie being the only witness to 4 people currently being held and tortured an the therapist is not the least bit worried about getting information about that person or event? A search for a missing sheriffs in a town with a mine should come up pretty quickly. Does anyone remember seeing another person inside the FBI compound? What is up such a huge gov't structure with only one person working there?

I will probably watch a few shows again to see if I am remembering some of the events correctly and catch a few missed clues. But there are a lot of questions to look forward to see what answers they come up with in the next season.

After thinking about this show, I believe all the resurrection and her being involved with Hap is all part of her psychosis. Thy mystical/paranormal part of this show could possibly be the dreams are allowing her to see into the future. Her illness puts her inside the action but I don't believe she was ever actually on the bus as a child, in Hap's dungeon, nor was she at the school in the season finally. I think her waking up in a white room proves at the very end she is still on earth and in some type of institution. If I remember correctly, none of Her visions of the after life had a white washed room. I suspect the FBI (who we assume is the FBI) at sometime finds out Prairie has this ability to see into the future and uses her to find and or influence future events before they occur, sort of like the Precogs in the Minority report. This may be why her instructions from the FBI therapist was to let the dreams happen and not fight them. Remember his comment to the kid ,who was upset about the lies and finding the books under her bed, that "even lies can have two meanings". I wonder if each person who is being held captive in Hap's dungeon may actually be one that will perpetrate a heinous action in the future. Maybe the person she is seeing as her father is someone who is responsible for the bus crashing into the lake and killing the children? Could the shooter at the school have been Homer or the other guy? We never see who the shooter is. Or possibly all the events surrounding Hap are not the past but a future event yet to occur. This would explain why the FBI is not pressing her for more information at this time about Hap. Prairie being the only witness to 4 people currently being held and tortured an the therapist is not the least bit worried about getting information about that person or event? A search for a missing sheriffs in a town with a mine should come up pretty quickly. Does anyone remember seeing another person inside the FBI compound? What is up such a huge gov't structure with only one person working there?

I will probably watch a few shows again to see if I am remembering some of the events correctly and catch a few missed clues. But there are a lot of questions to look forward to see what answers they come up with in the next season.

I echo this theory. A lot of the elements you outlined make sense, especially the final scene in Season 1.

I tend to doubt it gets reviewed. Critical and audience response seems tepid at best. If it does get renewed, I hope they turn the writing over to one of you guys...more impressed with what you've come up with.

Reactions: dmm5157
Im 5 episodes in and love it. I didn't read the spoilers, but I thought the 6 were the loved ones of the people of the 5 in the attic. What do I know?

I loved it 5 episodes in too. Finish it and then come back, interested to get your thoughts.

I can't believe it's being discussed this much.

Honestly, such a good 1-3 episodes then CRASSSSSSHHHHHHH.
Exactly this. This seems to be getting the True Detective S2 and Night Of treatment, where everyone has more fun breaking down nuances and hidden meanings that will never even come close to fruition. Ive had more fun and thoughtful insight reading this thread than watching the gottdamn show. I just have a feeling that once again, the fan fiction is greater than the actual fiction and the viewers hype this shit up so much, that when it finally culminates with a unimaginative turd, Im like wtf?....really?...thats it? Us dumbasses in the LR coulda come up with something better over a few beers and bourbons.

Its like eating chalupas, saurkraut, and broccoli all week trying to build up a good fart to blast grandma with and all that comes out is a mouse squeak. And those gottdamn dancing moves. Take those out, keep the symbols, add more Nas and then you got something.

Last edited:
Reactions: nynole1
During the filming I can see the actors saying, "you want me to do WHAT?"

alan-oa-gif-1.gif

There is season 1 of True Detective and then there are the other shows that wish they were season 1 of True Detective.

Umm...really tough call on whether it's "worth it" or not. It's not a slam dunk by any means. On the other hand, I finished it and found it mildly worthwhile. There's some good stuff in there, some good performances and the characters are fairly interesting. I found a few moments somewhat moving, but that's me.

I'd give it maybe a B-. But it doesn't at any point get AWESOME! so I wouldn't hold out for that. If you're still not into it after four episodes I'd dump it.

I felt similarly about Stranger Things but I think it's a bit weaker than stranger things overall. Stranger Things was a little tighter narrative, had a little stronger sense of it's look and feel, and more momentum throughout. From 1000 feet above they're pretty similar, but I think the OA was a notch or two below.

If you want something kind of weird/mysterious/strange, and have Amazon Prime, I would strongly suggest Fortitude instead. I think that was a much stronger show, but you might need to watch with closed caption because of the funky accents. It's a harsher show though, without the feels of the OA.

I think this is spot on. B- tops

I don't see how anyone can say the finale is what ruined it for them. And not all the other hokey crap like the dancing

I don't see how anyone can say the finale is what ruined it for them. And not all the other hokey crap like the dancing

While it looks silly, it's used a physical representation of communicating with the other side. Similar to ceremonial dances used by the Native Americans.

What would be the alternative? Meditation? Chanting spells? Sure, it looks silly, but that didn't bother me one bit. I realized that they needed some mechanism to move the story ahead, so it's really just a plot device (albeit maybe not the most elegant one).

My only problem with the ending was that the dance had no tangible effect on the shooter. And the OA being there contributed nothing. She got shot but served no purpose. If she hadn't run to the school, nothing would have changed. The outcome was not affected by her being there at all.

It's odd that people would take issue with something like the dancing, and not question more substantial issues ... like when did the OA learn to read if she had been blind her whole life and has been in isolation since she regained her sight? She came right back from being released from her abductor and yet she can use the computer, type on a keyboard, read, etc. She knows what the internet is, how to do internet searches, etc. How would she know what any of those things are if she only regained her eye sight after her near-death experience with Hap?

All signs point to her always having been able to see and the whole thing is a manifestation of her imagination, mixed in possibly with some government experiment/program due to her possibly having supernatural powers of some sort.

There may be no redeeming factor from the show, but I certainly see some interesting features from the show. If there was no season 2 and this was a stand-alone show, I would assume it was all either a dream/imaginary and her waking up in the white room was her coming out of the dream. At which the entire show was a waste of time.

Hoping Season 2 doesn't go that route, if there is no actual supernatural work at play, that would be very disappointing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT