ADVERTISEMENT

Observations about the game

norton_nole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2020
Observations for this game:

1. Although there were a couple offensive linemen out, Jordan Travis would have really helped the running game.

2. The passing game doesn’t work well when you have no blocking and your receivers don’t get open or attack the ball on catches. Also, because they were able to get pressure with three or four rushers the linebackers were able to pick up most anything short.

3. We missed Travis’ legs and I couldn’t help but wonder if Purdy leaving this week was a double gut punch. Obviously, I was hoping for more QB competition to make the whole room better but we have a better shot of winning this game if NC State has to respect the legs and gives our receivers more time to get open because they need it. Does anyone know how mobile Duffy is?

4. We do not have good tackling habits. There were so many missed tackles that resulted in big yardage plays. This has to be on coaching, right? I need my defense to be sound in that area.

5. Speaking of tackling and giving up big plays, I’ll give Jones a pass if he was sick but otherwise I don’t think I need to see him play much the rest of the year. That said, the DBs we recruited, and are recruiting, have to be thinking that job is available for the taking this spring.

6. I’ll probably be in the minority here but I am not upset by going for it on 4th down and declining the penalty. You’re still down and need to score, the offense was moving, and your defense is likely getting exhausted. Even if our defense gets them three and out and we pin them back the punter has been great all game and we still need to score and now with even less time. Plus, I just think we were outmanned and we were going to fall apart at the end of the game because these guys were exhausted. If you get the first down, maybe you put some wind in the sails of the defense. Of course you take wind out of the sails by not getting it. The gamble seems with it because we were outmanned. All of this is moot if Milton makes a better pass on 3rd down. Silver lining (maybe?) … I think those missed 4th downs will be memorable for the players. I think that is off-season motivation for working hard because as a player you want to go for it and you’re getting physically whipped.

7. Our guys play with heart. This team doesn’t seem to quit every time I think they might. Some battling through flu. That shows you something. You can build on that. For all the people that talk about why we couldn’t be better faster like other teams, I don’t think we had guys with that mentality and love for each other the past couple of years. Don’t think we can overstate how bad the culture and habits were under Jimbo and Willie.

8. The ACC refs are terrible. So many missed calls, turning the WR on that 4th down, PI in the end zone, not throwing a flag on a late hit right in front of them, and more.

9. The ACC is an awful network. The commentators don’t seem to understand the difference between conference games and divisional games. Camera people can’t stick with plays. Commercials are cut off in the middle (just general lack of professionalism).

10. I can’t imagine Adam Fuller will be back next year if we can land a big fish at DC. How big a fish can we get? Hope the program doesn’t skimp because it will be much cheaper to pay for a DC than to pay for a buyout on the back end of Norvell’s contract. As well as we played on a down to down basis, the defense gave up a lot of chunk plays from a lack of discipline and good habits. Even if you think we played well, we are underperforming given the talent level we have and 2022 will be a transition year. Get the new DC in next year so you’re in a better position for 2023 and beyond.

Mike Norvell isn’t the problem. There are definitely some things for him to learn from this season. It would be interesting if you get him reflective post-season what he thinks he learned most both in terms of leading the program and situationally as a coach. But, we don’t have the personnel on offense to be very successful. I’m actually somewhat happy FSU doesn’t have the money for a buyout because it constrains the worst impulses of the fan base. We don’t have the personnel because we haven’t had any continuity in the program with three head coaches in a few years. You can’t recruit well when kids are signing two weeks after you get on campus. Those classes can’t help but be bad. Then COVID … I can’t even imagine trying to coach a team with bad culture and habits during a year when you need to rely on young men making good choices in the off-season. Keep CLIMBing. Beat UM next week and even many of the most vocal and negative fans will start to see what most of us already do. This team is improving from a program perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News