ADVERTISEMENT

One quick note on that report/thread about FSU's finances for 2020

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
If you saw the Democrat's story yesterday about FSU athletics showing a $26 million shortfall for last year, I just wanted to clarify one thing about the timeframe that covers. If you just read the headline or the thread that was started on our boards, you might think those numbers applied to the calendar year 2020. I made that mistake myself when I first saw it.

But those numbers are for the fiscal year, which ended last summer. It's from summer 2019 through summer 2020. The numbers from the fall of 2020 won't be available until next year at this time.

So that total does include some lost revenues due to the coronavirus, but it's just a fraction of the losses we will see in the current fiscal year, which will end this summer. The losses you see in that initial report are from the spring sports that were canceled, and the shortening of some of the winter sports.

As scary as a $26 million shortfall looks, that number will likely pale in comparison to what next year's numbers will look like. Here's hoping we can get back to full schedules and full stadiums this fall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News