Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 20 The Wells Fargo Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Homa-Trophy-12680-Kane.jpg

EXTENDED HIGHLIGHTS

Max Homa's Round 4 highlights from Wells Fargo​

The Wells Fargo Championship returns to the PGA TOUR schedule after being cancelled last year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Max Homa returns to defend his title against a field full of TOUR stars, including FedExCup leader Justin Thomas.
FIELD NOTES: Two-time FedExCup champion Rory McIlroy returns to action for the first time since the Masters. McIlroy also is the Wells Fargo Championship’s only two-time winner. He set a course record in each win, shooting a final-round 62 in 2010 and a third-round 61 in 2015… The top two players in the FedExCup – Thomas and Bryson DeChambeau – are teeing it up in North Carolina. Thomas won the 2017 PGA Championship contested at Quail Hollow… Phil Mickelson will tee it up at the Wells Fargo for the 17th time in 18 editions. He missed the cut in 2017 but owns 12 top-12 finishes at the event… Sponsors exemptions include 19-year-old Akshay Bhatia, a North Carolina native, and Wake Forest alum Will Zalatoris. Zalatoris hasn’t missed a cut in the 2021 calendar year but enjoyed two weeks off after finishing runner-up at the Masters and T42 at the RBC Heritage – buying his own place in Dallas and getting engaged.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
STORYLINES: No golfer has ever defended his title at the Wells Fargo. Homa, who won at The Genesis Invitational earlier this year, looks to buck that trend. He arrives in good form, sitting in third place halfway through the Valspar Championship… Overall, 13 of the top 20 golfers in the FedExCup (through the Zurich Classic of New Orleans) are teeing it up at Quail Hollow… Rory McIlroy loves the Wells Fargo Championship. He’s finished outside the top-10 just twice in nine starts and in 2019 he finished T8… Rickie Fowler is looking for a spark after recording just two top-10 finishes in 29 events across 2020-21. Fowler, who is now ranked outside the top 100 in the world, won his first TOUR title at the Wells Fargo in 2012 and finished T4 in 2019…This year’s Wells Fargo will give players one last look at Quail Hollow before the 2022 Presidents Cup. Next year’s Wells Fargo will be played at TPC Potomac as Quail Hollow prepares to host the intercontinental tussle between the U.S. and International teams. It will be the first Presidents Cup since 2019 in Royal Melbourne, when the International Team took the lead into Singles but was overcome by the United States in the final session.
COURSE: Quail Hollow Club, par 71, 7,521 yards. The long-time PGA TOUR stop was originally laid out by George Cobb in the early 1960s. An upgrade was overseen by Tom Fazio as the course prepared for the PGA Championship in 2017. Annually rated as one of the toughest courses on TOUR, its ‘Green Mile’ closing stretch of holes flummoxes TOUR players year after year. Quail Hollow is set to host The Presidents Cup in 2022 and the PGA Championship again in 2025.
72-HOLE RECORD: 267, Rory McIlroy (2015).
18-HOLE RECORD: 61, Rory McIlroy (3rd round, 2015).
LAST TIME: Cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, the 2019 Wells Fargo Championship saw Max Homa capture his maiden PGA TOUR title. Homa, the former NCAA champ who endured a difficult slump early in his pro career, shot a 4-under 67 in Sunday’s final round to top Joel Dahmen by three shots. Homa, who started the final round as one of three co-leaders, trailed Dahmen through six holes. But after going 3 under in a five-hole stretch, he held a four-shot lead before a weather delay with just five holes to play. After the hour-long delay was completed, Homa nailed a 5-foot par saver and cruised to victory after that. Justin Rose finished third while Rickie Fowler, Paul Casey and Jason Dufner rounded out the top five.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 2 p.m.-6 p.m. (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS)
PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Groups), Saturday-Sunday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. (Featured Groups), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes)
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).
TOURCast: Get shot-by-shot info in real time with shot tracks and video with TOURCast.
TOUR Pulse: Get the PGA TOUR app to utilize TOUR Pulse, which provides users the ability to experience a mix of content, such as video highlights, written hole summaries and stat graphics on every player after every hole they complete.

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @FSU & Golf

@Bobcat07 maintains overall season lead heading into May

Leader-thru-Valspar-2021.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Last edited by a moderator:
Finau
Homa
Rahm
Zalatoris
Dang, Liz...wasting no time! Either you are itchin' to go for this week (or you got some hot tips and are playing them early to lock in the initial odds...;) ).

DISCLAIMER: I know very little, actually nothing really, about 'laying odds and placing wagers and such'. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, just outside of Reno...:p

Dang, Liz...wasting no time! Either you are itchin' to go for this week (or you got some hot tips and are playing them early to lock in the initial odds...;) ).

DISCLAIMER: I know very little, actually nothing really, about 'laying odds and placing wagers and such'. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once, just outside of Reno...:p
Actually, my Valspar picks were performing so poorly, I began looking ahead early on and was thusly ready to go.

Hey NIA, can you please check the leaderboard. From what I saw in the Valspar thread I earned 214 points for last week, however on the new leaderboard I am only credited with 73. I think a row might be off and others might be affected as well.

Thanks!

Reactions: NoleinATL
Hey NIA, can you please check the leaderboard. From what I saw in the Valspar thread I earned 214 points for last week, however on the new leaderboard I am only credited with 73. I think a row might be off and others might be affected as well.

Thanks!
Thank you for catching that one @FSUdawg , sorting issue , fixed and updated

You'd better choose 2 cards and dump Rory; just sayin'.
Interesting point. Just a question, you guys have a favorite player(s) ? For the past 5+ years I’ve been a huge Rory fan and a big Koepka fan. I know someone on here is a big Jordan Spieth fan. So who are your favorite players?

Reactions: NoleinATL
Interesting point. Just a question, you guys have a favorite player(s) ? For the past 5+ years I’ve been a huge Rory fan and a big Koepka fan. I know someone on here is a big Jordan Spieth fan. So who are your favorite players?
Grew up worshiping Arnie--loved that man. Then Boom Boom until his back decided not to cooperate any more. Also liked Greg Norman. But for today's choices, I mostly prefer Spieth and DJ, along with Brooks.

FAMU in the regional. Pretty cool. Used to have a 9-hole course there. Jake Gaither course I think. Played it a few times.
Gaither was a decent little course, very sandy most days. We had a buddy who worked at Hilaman that would let us know if it was packed so head to Gaither as we could usually get on

I am and have always been a big fan of Mickelson. When I first started playing many years ago the first time I got lessons I was told to switch to right handed clubs as it would be easier., I said never as I am left handed. Back then there werent many left handed players but as I started college 1990 , along came Mickelson and I followed his career just because he was a fellow lefty. Loved his game, loved that people hated him and said he was fake, didnt care, because he was a fellow lefty. One of my sports fandom highlights was being at Augusta in 2004 when Phil got his first green jacket.

These days I just enjoy watching the golf mostly but always hope the FSU guys do well.

Reactions: fsukenny
This is our first withdraw just before first tee awhile , Webbs neck pain got 3 of our players hurting as well

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nolerball
Yes, I am a Spieth fan...:D

Was a huge Greg Norman fan (and died a thousand deaths after the '96 collapse at Augusta). Hmmm, seems I experienced that too in 2016...must be my choices of golfers to follow.

This is our withdraw just before first tee awhile , Webbs neck pain got 3 of our players hurting as well

Gotta take the "L" on this. Been on work stuff since around 7:30 am and just NOW saw this...that sucks the cover off a Titlelist if ever...that'll teach me to place work ahead of Golf & PGSF stuff...feels like I just gave the Phillies four big Unearned runs before the first Inning.

Gotta take the "L" on this. Been on work stuff since around 7:30 am and just NOW saw this...that sucks the cover off a Titlelist if ever...that'll teach me to place work ahead of Golf & PGSF stuff...feels like I just gave the Phillies four big Unearned runs before the first Inning.
The last minute/early WD has happened to me a few times over the years. Didn't have that built-in reason for my picks' low point totals this week, however. 😢

Looks like recent play and course history didnt matter much for Max ...dang it

• Sad
Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT