PGSF FedEx Cup Week 21 The Northern Trust

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • reed-tnt-847-benjared.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
    Patrick Reed wins THE NORTHERN TRUST
The three-week FedExCup Playoffs begin with THE NORTHERN TRUST at TPC Boston. The 125-man field will be cut down to the top 70 at the end of play Sunday, then the top 30 at the culmination of next week’s BMW Championship in Chicago.

As always, the season-ending TOUR Championship in Atlanta will then determine who wins the FedExCup, as current No. 1 Justin Thomas looks to join Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy as the only players to win it more than once.

Woods, who has slipped down the standings some since winning the inaugural ZOZO CHAMPIONSHIP in Japan last fall, returns to action at TPC Boston. So does last year’s FedExCup winner McIlroy, while Patrick Reed defends his title from 2019 at THE NORTHERN TRUST.

FIELD NOTES: A few spots in the top 125 will be confirmed this weekend at the Wyndham Championship… For now, all 125 golfers who are eligible to play THE NORTHERN TRUST are committed… Current FedExCup points leader and Wyndham Rewards Top 10 winner Justin Thomas will lead the pack in Boston… Collin Morikawa will return to action for the first time since winning the PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park… There will be eight past winners at TPC Boston in the field, including Woods, McIlroy, Webb Simpson, Bryson DeChambeau, Adam Scott, Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler, and Charley Hoffman.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 1,500 FedExCup points.

COURSE: TPC Boston, 7,342 yards, par 71. Originally an Arnold Palmer design, the course was established in 2002 and redesigned five years later by Gil Hanse with eight-time TOUR winner Brad Faxon serving as a consultant. Golf Digest named the effort by Hanse and Faxon as the Best Private Remodel in 2007. TPC Boston’s par-5 18th hole was altered in 2012 to feature a smaller, elevated green.

STORYLINES: Only the top 125 golfers in the FedExCup standings are eligible for THE NORTHERN TRUST. The field for the BMW Championship gets trimmed to the top 70, while the TOUR Championship features only the top 30… THE NORTHERN TRUST will rotate between TPC Boston and Liberty National Golf Club. It will return to TPC Boston in 2022... This is the second year the FedExCup playoffs feature only three events, so look for it to be a sprint to East Lake… Tiger Woods is making just his sixth start this season after a T37 at the PGA Championship. He withdrew from last year’s THE NORTHERN TRUST, citing a mild oblique strain. This will mark the 11th time Woods has played TPC Boston; he won in 2006… THE NORTHERN TRUST is the only FedExCup event to feature a 36-hole cut.

72-HOLE TOURNAMENT RECORD: 261, Jason Day (2015 – Plainfield Country Club)

TPC BOSTON RECORD: 262, Henrik Stenson (2013), Charley Hoffman (2010), Vijay Singh (2008).

18-HOLE TOURNAMENT RECORD: 61, Brandt Snedeker (3rd round, 2011 – Plainfield Country Club).

TPC BOSTON RECORD – 61, Vijay Singh (2006), Mike Weir (2008).

LAST TIME: Patrick Reed won his second THE NORTHERN TRUST title by one over Abraham Ancer. After an up-and-down opening nine Sunday that featured three birdies and three bogeys, Reed birdied two of his final five holes for 69 and the victory. The runner-up was Ancer’s best on the PGA TOUR. Harold Varner III, Jon Rahm, and Adam Scott rounded out the top five. Past FedExCup champs Jordan Spieth, Brandt Snedeker and Rory McIlroy (who would go on to win the 2019 FedExCup) tied for sixth with Louis Oosthuizen.

Welcome to the Playoffs , wow is it really the playoffs..strange year

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @Bobcat07

@Nolerball extends his season long lead and is first player to pass the 8k mark

uqYywYR.png

good luck to everyone this week

Good to see I followed up that sizzling 93 point performance last week with a dazzling 161 point mess this week. Need to decide who to curse this week. Maybe I'll just pick Billy Hor and Matt Every just to watch them shank. Decisions ....The Christy curse looms large !

Reactions: Nolerball
Good to see I followed up that sizzling 93 point performance last week with a dazzling 161 point mess this week. Need to decide who to curse this week. Maybe I'll just pick Billy Hor and Matt Every just to watch them shank. Decisions ....The Christy curse looms large !
Every didn't quite make the cut @ #189.

**Liz - Yeah, math was never my strong suit...:eek:** As I am waiting for the field listing to pop up, I may try and go with one from every quartile or so (maybe one guy out of every 25 to 30), and then narrow it down. Putting some stock in the 100 to 125 spots...got the 125 number and 70 for next week confused, or added together, of some-kind of hybrid-uf-new math = 151 to 170 might be stuff-out-of-luck...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleinATL
Last week didn't work trying to pick guys I like. So this week I'm going with the self centered asshole group.
Leading the way as always is Billy Hor. Followed by Capt. Cheatrick Reed. Then the human steroid Bryson D.. And finally the Bordeaux of the PGA tour, that fine whiner and pouter supreme, Justin Thomas. Feel free to help me if you feel there are others you may have personal knowledge of being bigger buttheads than the 4 I have listed. Thank you for your consideration.

Last week didn't work trying to pick guys I like. So this week I'm going with the self centered asshole group.
Leading the way as always is Billy Hor. Followed by Capt. Cheatrick Reed. Then the human steroid Bryson D.. And finally the Bordeaux of the PGA tour, that fine whiner and pouter supreme, Justin Thomas. Feel free to help me if you feel there are others you may have personal knowledge of being bigger buttheads than the 4 I have listed. Thank you for your consideration.

well played, sir...and you didn't even need a drop...
happy0009.gif

Kenny, if I could chisel and erect a Mt. Rushmore of guys who really need to take a dump, your selections would each get a space...too funny...
happy0009.gif

Now watch me blow it with that list and choose one of them...not BH though.

You left out T. Woods.

Hmm, no rush to make choices this week...there must be some analytics of the field going on. ;) Never got to go first in elementary school and, technically, am second here behind Kenny's selections, but for this week:

John Rahm
Jason Day
Tony Finau
Collin Morikawa

I may rue not picking JT or BD or Cap'n 'Merica, but onward nonetheless - I have some tea to drop in the harbor...

Please change 1 of my picks. I cannot in good conscience pick a Gate. So please change to Morikawa.

This week is a little like the week before the playoffs begin in other sports where players rest up before the grind begins.

You have a good number of golfers that know they are moving on to next week no matter what. So the motivational factor is not at their highest in a few players I would think. You never know which ones however.

This week is a little like the week before the playoffs begin in other sports where players rest up before the grind begins.

You have a good number of golfers that know they are moving on to next week no matter what. So the motivational factor is not at their highest in a few players I would think. You never know which ones however.

Yeah, seems like, if you're already slotted in the mid to high 50s or higher, you're just playing for next week. Maybe 20+ guys behind you get hot, make the cut and bump you out. But more than likely not...could happen, but I don't understand the math of it all. Once they start throwing around projections on Saturday/Moving Day or Sunday, I need an calculator, several No. 2 pencils, an abacus, slide rule and magic beans just to see who's gonna jump inside 70.
confused0067.gif

Yeah, seems like, if you're already slotted in the mid to high 50s or higher, you're just playing for next week. Maybe 20+ guys behind you get hot, make the cut and bump you out. But more than likely not...could happen, but I don't understand the math of it all. Once they start throwing around projections on Saturday/Moving Day or Sunday, I need an calculator, several No. 2 pencils, an abacus, slide rule and magic beans just to see who's gonna jump inside 70.
confused0067.gif
Thanks for sharing...I don't feel feel as awkward now about my See 'n Say.

If you'd been around here at around 4:42 on Wednesday afternoon, four of them were pretty clearly identified. o_O

I know this is not the Northern, but I am enjoying watching the women deal with the strong winds at Troon and the men's Euro tour in the wind and rain in Wales.

Bryson the Big is obviously a beast off the tee and is a really good putter as well, but the typical duffer down at my local muni is better with his irons. :confused:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT