ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 23 The Fed Ex St Jude Classic

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • TPCSouthwind-847-Petersen.jpg
    TPC Southwind in Memphis, Tennessee, has hosted the FedEx St. Jude Classic since 1989. (Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
• FIELD: Click here to see who's set to tee it up at the FedEx St. Jude Classic.

• COURSE: TPC Southwind, 7,239 yards, par 70. Built on a former dairy farm, Southwind has been the St. Jude Classic’s home since 1989. Ron Prichard teamed with former U.S. Open champions Hubert Green and Fuzzy Zoeller on the original layout, incorporating the natural lakes, streams and ponds found in the countryside southeast of Memphis. Loren Roberts oversaw a 2004 upgrade that removed dozens of trees and replaced Southwind’s bentgrass greens with more heat-tolerant Bermuda. Southwind’s par-3 11th hole draws comparisons with the famed 17th at TPC Sawgrass, requiring a short iron over water to a small island green.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 points.

• CHARITY: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, established by the late entertainer Danny Thomas to find cures for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Since joining forces in 1970, the tournament has raised more than $30 million for hospital research.

• FIELD WATCH: Dustin Johnson, the 2012 St. Jude champion, and Phil Mickelson head the roster in the final tune-up before the U.S. Open. They’re among six entrants among the top 30 in the Official World Golf Ranking. … Brooks Koepka, a winner in Phoenix, was a last-minute addition and gives the event seven of this season’s PGA TOUR winners. … Two-time St. Jude champion David Toms, who tops the all-time earnings list in Memphis, is back for his 24th appearance. … Bryson DeChambeau of Southern Methodist University, who captured the NCAA individual title less than a week ago, will test himself against TOUR competition for the first time.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 258, John Cook (1996).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 59, Al Geiberger (second round, 1977 at Colonial CC). TPC Southwind record: 61, Jay Delsing (fourth round, 1993); Bob Estes (first round, 2001).

• LAST YEAR: Ben Crane opened with a 63 and survived a 30-hole Sunday marathon, ending a 2 ½-year winless drought with a wire-to-wire triumph. Crane’s fifth PGA TOUR win didn’t come easily, though, as he held on through a closing 73 for a one-shot victory over Troy Merritt. With storm delays plaguing the first three days, Crane completed the final 12 holes of a third-round 69 on Sunday, producing a three-shot lead before the well started to run dry. A pair of front-nine bogeys allowed Merritt and Brian Harman to apply pressure. But Crane reeled off eight straight pars that gave him a two-shot cushion heading to the final hole. It was Crane’s first win since the 2011 McGladrey Classic.

• STORYLINES: Mickelson, runner-up two years ago and a Sunday contender last year, seeks to fine-tune his game in preparation for the only major he hasn’t won. The Hall of Famer came to the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide with three top-20 finishes in his previous four starts. … Johnson also hopes to raise his game after a mediocre string of results since placing sixth at the Masters. When he won the 2012 St. Jude, it was his first start following a back injury that kept him out of that year’s Masters. … A place in the U.S. Open is still available for anyone who moves into the top 60 of the world rankings after the St. Jude’s conclusion. Among those hoping to move up: AT&T Byron Nelson winner Steven Bowditch and former world No. 1 Luke Donald.

• SHORT CHIPS: Despite a greater international presence in recent years, just five St. Jude winners have come from outside U.S. shores – Nick Price (1993, ’98), Gary Player (1974), Greg Norman (1997) and Lee Westwood (2010). … No winner of the PGA TOUR stop preceding the U.S. Open has gone on to capture the Open. Overall, just nine men have claimed a major the week after winning on TOUR – though Rory McIlroy joined that club last year (WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and PGA Championship). … Crane’s victory made him just the second 54-hole leader in the past nine editions to close the deal. Brian Gay (2009) was the other.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 4-7 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1-2:30 p.m. (GC), 3-6 p.m. (CBS).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, 1-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.COM).

Congratulations to last weeks winner DFS, who holds the overall lead through the Memorial

Leaderboard%20Through%20Memorial_zpswhqsrkfl.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Congrats DFS...You're a machine!

Casey
Donaldson
Johnson
Simpson

I see some of you guys slipping some gatas in there. I was tempted since a couple of them performed well in this tourney a year ago, but I resisted the urge.

I see some of you guys slipping some gatas in there. I was tempted since a couple of them performed well in this tourney a year ago, but I resisted the urge.
I agree completely. I would rather not win the competition than pick Horschel, Every, or Villegas. It cost me in the finale last year when I knew Billy would probably win, but I set high standards for myself and choosing a gator won't allow me to live up to those.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Always like seeing a first time winner on tour, congratulations to fabian Gomez. The putt saturday I think won him the tournament .

as to our tourney, a surprising number of goose eggs...

congratulations to this weeks winner BFT

St%20Jude_zpssszc2int.png

Thank Brooks for his strong performance and Phil and even Billy for making those 4th round runs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT