ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF FedEx Cup Week 31 The WGC-Bridgestone Invitational

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • Johnson-Cohen-847.jpg
    Zach Johnson, who won The Open Championship, will tee it up in Akron. (Cohen/Getty Images)
• FULL FIELD: World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational

• COURSE: Firestone Country Club (South), 7,400 yards, par 70. What began as a generous perk from Harvey Firestone to employees of his tire company, the club has risen in its own right as a major championship host and overall stern test of golf. The South course opened in 1929, then remade by Robert Trent Jones for the 1960 PGA Championship captured by Jay Hebert. The PGA of America brought its championship back again in 1966 and ’75, by which time Firestone had become home of the World Series of Golf. The event moved under the World Golf Championships banner in 1999.

• FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 550 points.

• CHARITY: The First Tee is the primary beneficiary of World Golf Championships events. Proceeds also were distributed last year to 42 Northeast Ohio charities, including Ronald McDonald House Charities and Akron Children’s Hospital.

• FIELD WATCH: Freshly-crowned Open Championship winner Zach Johnson and Masters/U.S. Open winner Jordan Spieth headline the list of 76 qualifiers. World No.1 Rory McIlroy (ankle) and Chris Kirk (hand) are the only absences from the rankings’ top 50. … Spots remain for the Quicken Loans National winner or anyone who enters the top 50 in Monday’s rankings. … Kevin Kisner, runner-up in three playoffs this season, and former U.S. Amateur champion Byeong-Hun An are among six entrants playing their first World Golf Championships event. … Lee Westwood is set for his 52nd WGC start, most of any player but still in pursuit of his first WGC victory.

• 72-HOLE RECORD: 259, Tiger Woods (2000).

• 18-HOLE RECORD: 61, José María Olazábal (1st round, 1990), Tiger Woods (2nd round, 2000 and 2nd round, 2013), Sergio Garcia (2nd round, 2014).

• LAST YEAR: Fresh off his triumph at The Open, McIlroy showed little letdown with a Sunday charge to overtake Sergio Garcia by two and return to the world No. 1 ranking. McIlroy needed just three holes to wipe out a three-shot deficit, using his third straight birdie to overtake Garcia while the Spaniard bogeyed from the rough. McIlroy never trailed after that, producing a 4-under-par 66 to join Woods as the only men to win a major and WGC in consecutive starts. Garcia carded a closing 71, finishing runner-up to McIlroy for the second consecutive start. He also was two shots back at Royal Liverpool. Woods was forced to withdraw midway through his final round, aggravating his surgically repaired back when he hit from an awkward bunker stance.

• STORYLINES: Spieth, whose quest for a third consecutive major came up one stroke short of joining the playoff at St. Andrews, can displace the idled McIlroy atop the world rankings with a victory. His best finish in a WGC event was reaching the quarterfinals of last year’s Match Play. … Zach Johnson makes his first start since capturing the Claret Jug two weekends ago. He owns three top-10 finishes at Firestone, including a tie for fourth in 2013. … Dustin Johnson, winner of the WGC-Cadillac crown at Trump Doral, has a chance to become just the third man to win two WGCs in the same year. Woods has done it six times; Phil Mickelson won at Doral and China in 2009. … Day, who won the RBC Canadian Open after just missing the playoff at St. Andrews, seeks to record back-to-back wins.

• SHORT CHIPS: Of the past 20 winners crowned at Firestone, just one doesn’t also have a major championship to his name (Hunter Mahan, 2010). That includes the last five editions of the old World Series of Golf. … Three members of Europe’s Ryder Cup winners last year are among four entrants still outside the top 125 in FedExCup points – Graeme McDowell (158th), Martin Kaymer (163rd) and Victor Dubuisson (203rd). Charl Schwartzel (133rd) is the other; three weeks remain to grab a Playoffs berth.

• TELEVISION: Thursday-Friday, 1:30-6:30 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, noon-1:30 p.m. (GC); 2-6 p.m. (CBS).

• RADIO: Thursday-Friday, noon-7 p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 1-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com).

Congratulations to last weeks winners BFT , NMT and DFS

updated leaderboard
Leader%20through%20Quicken_zpsylqwlnvh.png

Congrats to last week's winners.

Day
D. Johnson
Spieth
Watson

I knew that was going to be a mistake with Dustin. He was my uncomfortable pick of the week. I don't think that course suits his eye.

Looking good so far out there today, Koepka's near the top of the leaderboard and Horschel is near the bottom of the leaderboard. Love seeing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
Great line by Gary McCord just now.

Jason Day behind a huge stand of trees. Has no direct shot over under or around them to the hole. Day aims right straight towards the trees that are just a few yards in front of him.

McCord: Well let's see. Trees are 90% air .... and so are prison doors .... because that is what Day is in at the moment.

Instead of going out sideways, Day tries to roll a shot under the trees that sure enough does not make through and he has to punch out.

Great line by Gary McCord just now.

Jason Day behind a huge stand of trees. Has no direct shot over under or around them to the hole. Day aims right straight towards the trees that are just a few yards in front of him.

McCord: Well let's see. Trees are 90% air .... and so are prison doors .... because that is what Day is in at the moment.

Instead of going out sideways, Day tries to roll a shot under the trees that sure enough does not make through and he has to punch out.
Haha, yeah I was watching when he said that. I loved his commentary when Bubba Watson said "why do I play golf?" after a bad tee shot too.

That's why I made that original comment about DJ after round one. He just did not have the look of playing all that well. And when he gets disinterested that is the kind of play we see out of him. He has been doing that for years and it has not gotten any better.

As for Lowery, every single time that guy got into some sort of trouble either out of position off the tee or in a bunker he escaped with par or birdie. He deserved that one.

What a shot, and the guy is aware and showing his emotion going for the first win. Love seeing these guys win for first time ..will more than double his career earnings today..

Another great week on tour, Furyk has to love ( kick the dog) hate this course.

Nice win for Lowery, went out and won the tourney with some clutch putts and great shots

congratulations to our winner
NoleLizards

Bridgestone%20Final_zpscvzgead0.png

will post PGA thread and updated overall leaderboard shortly

What a shot, and the guy is aware and showing his emotion going for the first win. Love seeing these guys win for first time ..will more than double his career earnings today..
Was great to watch yesterday. He went for it down the stretch and was rewarded and his life changed big time yesterday. Makes these tournaments fun to watch week in and week out.

Not to worry...If I fail to pick him next week at the PGA, he'll play lights out. :mad:

Wow, I should just insert me right now along with the Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, etc... In fact, I think I'm more accurate!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT