Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 34 The Wyndham Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • hermantrophy-847-chriskeane.jpg

ROUND RECAPS

Jim Herman wins by one shot at Wyndham​

A handful of Olympians including Hideki Matsuyama, Patrick Reed, Tommy Fleetwood, and silver medalist Rory Sabbatini highlight the field at the Wyndham Championship, the final regular-season event prior to the FedExCup Playoffs.
Jim Herman returns to defend his title from 2020, won in dramatic fashion.
FIELD NOTES: Winners of THE PLAYERS Championship teeing it up at the Wyndham Championship include Rickie Fowler, Si Woo Kim (who tied for third last season), and Webb Simpson… Simpson won this tournament in 2011 and thrives in North Carolina… Like Simpson, Patrick Reed made the Wyndham his first TOUR title, winning a thrilling playoff over Jordan Spieth in 2013… Masters champion Hideki Matsuyama was a late commit coming off playing the Olympics and the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational... Sponsor exemptions include European Ryder Cup captain Padraig Harrington and Will Zalatoris, who as a Special Temporary Member on TOUR is not eligible for the Playoffs unless he wins the Wyndham… Bill Haas, former Walker Cupper Alex Smalley, 2014 winner Camilo Villegas, and former Georgia star Davis Thompson are also in the field as sponsor exemptions.
FEDEXCUP: Winner gets 500 FedExCup points.
COURSE: Sedgefield Country Club (Ross), par 70, 7,131 yards (yardage subject to change). Sedgefield, the only Donald Ross original that serves as a regular PGA TOUR venue, opened in the 1920s. The course boasts Ross’ signature small and undulating greens but has yielded five straight winning totals of 20-under or better.

STORYLINES: It all comes down to this in terms of the FedExCup standings for 2020-2021. Rickie Fowler is right on the bubble (125th as of last week) and looking for a spot in the Playoffs. He has never failed to qualify for the Playoffs and finished a career-best fourth in the FedExCup in 2015… Patrick Rodgers and Camilo Villegas were 126th and 127th, respectively, just one FedExCup point back of Fowler… Olympian Rafael Campos sits at No.150 and at the Wyndham will look to improve his position or at least hang on to his spot in the 125-150 category for next season… Three golfers jumped inside the top 125 at last season’s Wyndham Championship, led by the surprise winner Jim Herman (192 to 54)… Rory Sabbatini, who won the silver medal in Tokyo after firing a sizzling 61 in the final round, will make his TOUR return at the Wyndham.
72-HOLE RECORD: 258, Henrik Stenson (2017), JT Poston (2019)
18-HOLE RECORD: 59, Brandt Snedeker (1st round, 2018).
LAST TIME: Jim Herman, who had made just four cuts since the start of the year, fired a 7-under 63 in the final round of the 2020 Wyndham Championship to top Billy Horschel by one. It was his third PGA TOUR title. Herman, who finished at 21 under, trailed by four entering Sunday’s finale but leapfrogged Horschel with a birdie on 17. He earned a spot in the FedExCup Playoffs, jumping from 192nd to 54th in the standings. Two days earlier he’d had to birdie his final four holes just to make the cut, which led to his career-low 61 on Saturday. Kevin Kisner, Webb Simpson, Doc Redman, and Si Woo Kim tied for third, three back.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS).
PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday 7 a.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Groups). Saturday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. (Featured Groups), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes). Sunday, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m. (Featured Groups), 3 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (Featured Holes).
Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @NoleLizards

@Bobcat07 holds onto the regular season lead heading into the final weeks.

Leader-thru-St-Jude-2021.png

Good luck to everyone this week

Reactions: NoleLizards
Congrats to Nole. Lizard. I got beat again by @Tom81 who isn’t playing anymore. Happens every time I pick Schauffele.
Since I may drive to Tally for Coach’s funeral, thought I’d get my picks in early.
Simpson
Adam Scott
Matsuyama
Sabbatini
Subject to change or dropping out of tournament ! Now I'm really gun shy. If no one wants to play, give me a sponsors exemption and let me play from the senior tees.

Last edited:
Congrats to Nole. Lizard. I got beat again by @Tom81 who isn’t playing anymore. Happens every time I pick Schauffele.
Since I may drive to Tally for Coach’s funeral, thought I’d get my picks in early.
Simpson
Oosthuizen
Matsuyama
Sabbatini
Subject to change or dropping out of tournament !

alright kenny, you are having some bad luck this week.

@fsukenny @Bill From Tampa @FSU & Golf @FSUdawg

sorry for late notice but I just saw this news on Twitter. Louis is out

Please replace Oosthuizen with Bubba Watson.

My new 4 should be:

Hideki Matsuyama
Webb Simpson
Matthew Wolff
Bubba Watson

Reactions: NoleinATL
Strained back...? Not enough yoga and pilates it seems...too many dead-lifts I bet (or clean and jerk, maybe too much snatch). That sucks. I was hoping to ride Webb for a few more points this week. :confused:
No injury-induced WD..........yet. He's having a wild opening nine: the aforementioned double followed by three birds and now a bogey to be even thru 6.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Since I had to change so many times, I'm watching 3 guys for the future. Vegas, Van Rooyen and Munoz all are really coming around with their games. Vegas seems like he just needs to take his foot off the gas a little. Same with Munoz. Van Rooyen may over think things a bit. But he certainly played great out west last week. I picked Adam Scott after I saw a clip where he had an interview in the parking lot. He said he was striking the ball better and he was really close. If you think about it the PGA tour is amazingly strong. Competition has never been tougher than it is right now.

Since I had to change so many times, I'm watching 3 guys for the future. Vegas, Van Rooyen and Munoz all are really coming around with their games. Vegas seems like he just needs to take his foot off the gas a little. Same with Munoz. Van Rooyen may over think things a bit. But he certainly played great out west last week. I picked Adam Scott after I saw a clip where he had an interview in the parking lot. He said he was striking the ball better and he was really close. If you think about it the PGA tour is amazingly strong. Competition has never been tougher than it is right now.
Really like Vegas. He has been so close many times this year. Like you said, just needs to tighten up in spots and he can be a consistent top performer.

Webb doubled the first hole. A strained back could be on the way....
I'm still reeling from the Lebioda WD (granted it was legit and no ill will towards him) at the 3M Open a couple of weeks ago that I felt like "here we go again" with another WD. Unfortunately, in these COVID-19 times I can never feel confident about any picks not having to WD mid-tourney.

I see he is -2 thru 8 holes. So I am guessing that info is inaccurate.
Guess that's why I will never be an Oddsmaker...falling for 'fake news' and internet innuendo (is that a thing, maybe? Sounds catchy...). Anyway, was having some cold-sweats in August about this pick (Webb) when BK left me h-a-n-g-i-n-g with last week's choice. :oops: Besides, nobody wins a tournament on Thursday (except maybe the '96-'98 Chicago Bulls). And, no, I am not a Bulls fan - unless they are from Durham. "I actually saw him read a book without pictures once..."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT