Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 35 The Northern Trust

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • johnson-trophy-2-1268-benjared.jpg

ROUND RECAPS

Dustin Johnson wins by 11 shots at THE NORTHERN TRUST​

The first leg of the FedExCup Playoffs tees of in New York at THE NORTHERN TRUST.
Only 125 players are now eligible to win the FedExCup and the $15-million prize and with much to be decided in just three weeks’ time, the run to the TOUR Championship begins now.
FIELD NOTES: The final field will be decided after the conclusion of the Wyndham Championship… Dustin Johnson looks to win the FedExCup for a second year in a row as he defends his NORTHERN TRUST title. Last year’s win for Johnson came at TPC Boston… Patrick Reed won the last NORTHERN TRUST event played at Liberty National, in 2019. He’s back looking for more magic in Jersey City… Harris English finished second at THE NORTHERN TRUST a year ago. It’s a different course for 2021, of course, but English is playing inspired golf through 2021 and has already won twice… Past FedExCup champions teeing it up at THE NORTHERN TRUST include Rory McIlroy, Justin Thomas, Billy Horschel, and Brandt Snedeker with Justin Rose projected to move inside the Top 125 after this weekend at the Wyndham Championship… The top-5 in the current FedExCup standings – Collin Morikawa, Jordan Spieth, Patrick Cantlay, Harris English, and Jon Rahm – are all ready for their run to East Lake… Abraham Ancer is back in action after his first-career TOUR victory at the WGC-FedEx St. Jude Invitational. Ancer finished tied for second at the 2019 NORTHERN TRUST at Liberty National.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 2,000 FedExCup points.
COURSE: Liberty National Golf Club, par 71, 7,410 yards. The site where Liberty National now sits had previously been many things (including a landfill), but after a $300-million project came to fruition it’s become a solid TOUR stop and boasts some of the best views in golf with downtown New York City and the Statue of Liberty featured prominently. The course, a Bob Cupp and Tom Kite collaboration that features bent grass fairways and greens, also hosted the Presidents Cup in 2017. It underwent a renovation not long after the TOUR visited in 2009.
STORYLINES: Only the top 70 are eligible to continue to the BMW Championship. Fifty-five golfers will be eliminated after THE NORTHERN TRUST and will not move on to Caves Valley Golf Club in Maryland… THE NORTHERN TRUST is the only FedExCup Playoff event with a 36-hole cut… Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods are the only two-time FedExCup winners, but no one has ever won the FedExCup in back-to-back years. Dustin Johnson looks to become the first man to do that… Keep an eye out for Jon Rahm this week, who is playing his first event back on U.S. soil since his U.S. Open victory this summer. He finished tied for third at The Open Championship but then a positive COVID-19 test quashed his opportunity to play at the Olympic Games. He’s back at Liberty National, where he finished tied for third in 2019.
72-HOLE RECORD: 254, Dustin Johnson (2020 – TPC Boston)
LIBERTY NATIONAL RECORD: 268, Patrick Reed (2019)
18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Dustin Johnson (Second Round, 2020 – TPC Boston)
LIBERTY NATIONAL RECORD: 62, Kevin Chappell (Third Round, 2013), Troy Merritt (First Round, 2019)
LAST TIME: Dustin Johnson’s impressive ball-striking (and putting, and driving distance, and, basically, everything else) led him to finish at 30-under at THE NORTHERN TRUST in 2020. He won by 11 shots over Harris English. Daniel Berger, who finished third, and Kevin Kisner and Scottie Scheffler (tied for fourth) finished 12 and 13 shots back of Johnson’s winning total, respectively. Johnson fired a closing round 8-under 63 and tapped in for birdie on the final hole after a 75-minute rain delay on Sunday. Johnson’s 11-shot triumph was the largest margin of victory on TOUR since Phil Mickelson won at TPC Sugarloaf in 2006 by 13 shots.

HOW TO FOLLOW

Television: Thursday-Friday, 2 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS). Sunday, 12 p.m.-2 p.m. (Golf Channel), 2 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS).
PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday 7 a.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Groups). Saturday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. (Featured Groups), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes). Sunday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. (Featured Groups), 2 p.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes).
Radio:
Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday 1 p.m.-6 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).

We are in the playoffs, as we head to The Northern Trust.
A reminder that the points are dramatically different, so even if you are way back, you have a shot to make up huge points the next two weeks before the regular season champ is decided.

@Bobcat07 maintains the overall season lead and is the first player to cross the 12k mark in points

Leader-thru-Wyndham-2021.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Justin firing on all cylinders, didnt have him or HVIII anywhere near my picks. dang it

Collin waited until I picked him in the playoffs to get off to a +3 start, nice

My last pick came down to Morikawa and Rahm. I definitely chose wrong.

Exactly what I have been thinking today, ..I had Berger Rahm or Morikawa as my final pick, and honestly, Rahm was probably 3rd on that list..dang it

Exactly what I have been thinking today, ..I had Berger Rahm or Morikawa as my final pick, and honestly, Rahm was probably 3rd on that list..dang it
Every time I pick Rahm he plays like ass. He is now my most hated player and I will pick him every time he tees it up so he never wins again. 😂

Rahn 2 up at the turn with Finau and Smith within striking distance. Monday afternoon golf is nice way to end the work day

Reactions: cmanole
They got him, or at least the bunker did 16 is a birdie hole though, got to get it back there

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT