Golf PGSF FedEx Cup Week 8 The AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
taylor-trophy-1268-alikerns.jpg

ROUND RECAPS
Nick Taylor goes wire-to-wire to win at AT&T Pebble Beach

While there will be no pro-am portion to this year’s AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am, the tournament will still feature 156 players and a field full of notable names, including reigning FedExCup champion Dustin Johnson.
Nick Taylor returns to defend his 2020 title, while Phil Mickelson is gunning for his record sixth title at Pebble Beach.
FIELD NOTES: Dustin Johnson, a two-time winner at Pebble Beach, returns to play his first event on the continental U.S. in 2021. He finished T11 at the Sentry Tournament of Champions to start the year… Kamaiu Johnson, who was set to make his PGA TOUR debut at the Farmers Insurance Open but was unable to due to a positive COVID-19 test, will instead tee it up at Pebble. Johnson’s inspiring story -- he was an eighth-grade dropout but found comfort in golf -- caught the eyes of TOUR event organizers… Other sponsor exemptions include 19-year-old Akshay Bhatia, who finished T9 at this season’s Safeway Open, and 2019 U.S. Amateur champion Andy Ogletree. Davis Riley, who sits third on the Korn Ferry Tour’s Regular Season Points List, also is in the field on sponsor exemption. He made the cut at last week’s Waste Management Phoenix Open… The Prince of Pebble Beach, Phil Mickelson, returns to the PGA TOUR this week and is looking for his record sixth victory at the event… The PGA TOUR Champions will be represented at Pebble Beach. Other than Mickelson, a trio of over-50 major winners – John Daly, Tom Lehman and Jim Furyk – will also be in the field… Past FedExCup winners including Jordan Spieth, Brandt Snedeker, and Bill Haas will also tee it up. Spieth and Snedeker are past winners at Pebble Beach.
FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 500 FedExCup points.
COURSE: This year, with no pro-am portion of the tournament, the 156 professionals will play only two courses instead of the usual three. The two courses that will be used are Pebble Beach Golf Links (Jack Neville/Douglas Grant, 1919) and Spyglass Hill Golf Course (Robert Trent Jones Sr., 1966). The cut will take place after 36 holes instead of 54.

Pebble Beach Golf Links, par 72, 7,051 yards
Spyglass Hill Golf Course, par 72, 7,041 yards
STORYLINES: The first of three victories for Jordan Spieth in 2017 came at Pebble Beach. Spieth, who won the Travelers and The Open Championship that same year, hasn’t won since. Spieth, who was T8 heading into the weekend in Phoenix, will keep that momentum going into Pebble Beach, a place he’s comfortable… Matt Gogel – who hasn’t played the PGA TOUR since 2007 – is in the field as a Sponsor Exemption. Gogel won at Pebble Beach in 2002 and was a key supporting actor in Tiger Woods’ comeback win in 2000. It was Gogel, then a TOUR rookie, who had the seven-shot lead with seven holes left that Woods eventually overcame thanks in part to a hole-out eagle at the par-4 15th… Jason Day has done everything but win at Pebble Beach. His fourth-place finish in 2020 gives the Aussie six top-6 finishes at the event, but no victories… Nick Taylor’s win in 2020 was the first by a non-American in 15 years. In fact, only four non-Americans have ever won at Pebble Beach (Taylor, Vijay Singh, Brett Ogle, and Bruce Crampton).
72-HOLE RECORD: 265, Brandt Snedeker (2015).
18-HOLE RECORD: 60, Sung Kang at Monterey Peninsula (2nd round, 2016). Pebble Beach record: 62, Tom Kite (3rd round, 1983), David Duval (3rd round, 1997). Spyglass Hill record: 62, Phil Mickelson (1st round, 2005), Luke Donald (1st round, 2006).
LAST TIME: Nick Taylor held off a charging Kevin Streelman to win his second PGA TOUR title. Taylor, whose first TOUR win came at the 2014 Sanderson Farms Championship, was paired with Phil Mickelson for the final round, but Taylor’s 2-under 70 proved to be enough as Mickelson fired a final-round 74. Taylor held on down the stretch making birdies on Nos. 15 and 17 after bogeys on Nos. 11 and 12, and a double bogey on the par-5 14th. Mickelson finished third, Jason Day finished fourth, and Maverick McNealy, Daniel Berger, Matt Jones, and Charl Schwartzel all finished T5. Taylor opened the tournament with a 63 and was in contention all week long before taking it across the finish line Sunday.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Television: Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. ET (Golf Channel). Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel). Saturday, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS). Sunday, 3 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (CBS).

PGA TOUR LIVE: Thursday-Friday, 11 a.m.–6 p.m. ET (Featured Groups). Saturday, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. (Featured Groups), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (Featured Holes). Sunday, 10:20 a.m.-3 p.m. (Featured Groups), 3 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (Featured Holes).

Radio: Thursday-Friday, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, 1 p.m.-6:30 p.m. (PGA TOUR Radio on SiriusXM and PGATOUR.com/liveaudio).
TOURCast: Get shot-by-shot info in real time with shot tracks and video with TOURCast.
TOUR Pulse: Get the PGA TOUR app to utilize TOUR Pulse, which provides users the ability to experience a mix of content, such as video highlights, written hole summaries and stat graphics on every player after every hole they complete.

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @Tom81

@DFSNOLE maintains his overall season lead with @Bill From Tampa vaulting into second place

Leader-thru-WM-2021.png

Good Luck to everyone this week

Last edited by a moderator:
Still DFL, and fading fast. I'm embarrassed. So, guess I'll have to go to a Plan B I've been thinking
of doing for several years now.

Debut coming tomorrow.
Ed, all the clichés come to mind for this unveiling...

Waiting with baited breath
Inquiring minds want to know
Sitting on pins and needles (oh, wait, that might be just the lack of fiber this morning...)

Do tell, Brother, do tell...:D

Ed, all the clichés come to mind for this unveiling...

Waiting with baited breath
Inquiring minds want to know
Sitting on pins and needles (oh, wait, that might be just the lack of fiber this morning...)

Do tell, Brother, do tell...:D

It's really very simple; nothing I've tried works. Not the All-Knowing, All-Omniscient Ouija Board. Not the Indian fakir with the big turban. Not the trembling, tumbling divining rod. Not the bat crazy Gypsy woman. So....

I'm make a 3x5 index card for every player in the field. Tomorrow, I'll put them in a pile and throw them up in the air. The 4 that fall closest to me will be my picks.

And if one happens to stick to the ceiling? Well, you won't see my picks posted, as I'll be on a plane to Vegas to bet my entire wealth (such as it is) on that person to win.

And for Noler:

If I could be you, if you could be me
For just one hour, if we could find a way
To get inside each other's mind
If you could see you through my eyes
Instead your own ego I believe you'd be
I believe you'd be surprised to see
That you've been blind
Walk a mile in my shoes
Just walk a mile in my shoes.
(Courtesy of Joe South, The King, and others).

This is a tough week to pick. Thinking I need 24 hours to use the force ! So far I got Cantlay because he's a Cali guy.
Then DJ because he's DJ. Then I got nothing. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmm. Bring out your dead !
The maybe list: Norlander, Spieth, Zalatori, Nesmith, Casey, Berger, KH Lee, Malnati, Si Woo Kim, Homa, and Molinari.
After a long discussion with the Dali Llama, here are my 4:Cantlay, J Day, Casey and Molinari. * Since DJ is out. This is a weird week.

Last edited:
Took my own advice...Here goes nothing!

Garnett
Piercy
Stallings
Zalatoris

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleinATL
Well, if anyone just picks "Johnson" this week, he's going to get sponsor exemption, Co-vid survivor, and Tallahassee resident Kamaiu.

Well, this turned out to be a lot of work, but at least the cards are reusable. And the first toss did not produce one that stuck to the ceiling, so closest to me were:

Tom Hoge
Max Homa
Si Woo Kim
Jordan Spieth

I'm suddenly having problems with this plan.

How do I sign up?

Just put in your 4 picks and you are in @FSU & Golf
Your picks can be any 4 players from the field, you are awarded points based on number of FedEx Cup points a player earns as it correlates to a players finish.

There is only one hard and fast rule
Picks must be in before first tee or picks do not count ( if you have previously made picks the prior weeks rollover)

Please join as we always welcome new players , plus your username is almost perfect for this group of posters

Reactions: NoleLizards
Appears as though the guys better be prepared for the elements today (especially later in the afternoon).Hourly Weather Forecast for Pebble Beach, CA - The Weather Channel | Weather.com
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down,
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee...sorry, wrong body of water.

Perfect Pebble Beach weather though. Coldest winter I ever spent was the summer in Carmel/Monterey (or something like that). ;) Get your rain gear and wind goggles on.

Reactions: NoleinATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT