ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF NFL Draft

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - Fmol14 is on the Clock

This one took a sec because there were lots of good options.

With the 11th overall pick, the Tennessee Titans select Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State.
DDennard.jpg

Strengths:

Excellent press-man corner
Capable of matching up against No. 1 receivers
Can run with receivers in and out of breaks
Straight-line speed
Has some ball skills
Good tackler
Physical defender Ready to play
Flexible to play in man or zone scheme
Upside

Weaknesses:

Needs to learn off-man coverage
Tight in his hips
Could struggle to turn and run with speed receivers
Short arms (30 1/4")
Doesn't have much length
Also considered OT Taylor Lewan, DT Aaron Donald and DB Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Damn man, I'm picking for 2 teams that need secondary help and you swipe both corners. Not that I was targeting either of them but your sure put a premium on the guys I wanted.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

The NY Giants select:

Taylor_Lewan.jpg

OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

I was torn here, OT (huge whole that last few years IMO) or DT (losing Linval Joseph via FA was a huge loss). I just went with the OT as I usually feel that if torn b/w two spots and there isn't much difference there, go with the OL (less bust potential in general).

Quick write up for Lewan (from CBS Sports):

TRENGTHS:[/B] With good height and length, he looks the part and has the frame to play on the left side at the next level, adding nearly 50 pounds since his senior year in high school.

Possesses quick feet. A former defensive lineman, Lewan is known as a self-starter with a mean streak and nasty attitude on the field, but also emerged as more of a leader the past two seasons. Keeps his head on a swivel and has the competitive drive to win one-on-one battles.

Demonstrates enough lateral agility and balance in his kick-slide to maintain the edge, while also possessing the strength to lock up his opponent. Strong initial step when asked to fire through to the second level and targets decisively in the open field.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to stay focused to cut down on penalties and use proper footwork and technique, not simply relying on his natural ability. Struggled with jab-steps and counters back inside when battling quick, crafty defenders and tends to drop his head upon contact.

Inconsistent in terms of timing off the snap and will find himself stood up and easily pushed back at times as a result. Collapses at the elbow, too often allowing his opponent into his chest, and will get too far out in front of his feet at the second level as a run blocker.

COMPARES TO: Jake Long, LT, St. Louis Rams - Lewan looked like the second coming of Long wearing No. 77 in the Michigan maize and blue. Lewan, who only made the switch to offensive line as a senior in high school, is certainly behind the No. 1 overall pick of the 2008 draft in terms of development, but the size, athleticism and mentality are in place to resume the Wolverines' tradition of churning out quality NFL offensive linemen.

This post was edited on 4/4 3:35 AM by Rishi

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - Fmol4 is on the Clock

pdubb,

The first one was value, the second one was need. It is hard to find quality corners and Tenn just let go of their best one.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - ColoradoNoles is on the Clock

The Bucs have traded Mike Williams to the Bills. I wonder if the Bucs and Bills picks we made would still have been the selections.

Originally posted by Semiologist:

The Bucs have traded Mike Williams to the Bills. I wonder if the Bucs and Bills picks we made would still have been the selections.
I think it may have changed the Bills pick, maybe gone OT instead.

Rams take Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S Alabama

Was hoping Gilbert would fall...

images

STRENGTHS: Possesses a lanky, athletic build with light feet,
excellent fluidity and straight-line speed to handle deep and nickel
coverage responsibilities. Good awareness. Tracks the action well,
showing impressive key and diagnosis skills to get a jump on the ball or
when attacking the line of scrimmage in run support. Decisive. When he
sees the play developing Clinton-Dix doesn't waste time debating,
instead exploding towards the ball, showing explosive closing ability.
Very good ball-skills. Can climb the ladder and extend outside of his
frame to pluck the ball. Physical defender, who looks to deliver the
intimidating shot.

WEAKNESSES: Highly aggressive and
therefore will occasionally be fooled by misdirection and play-action.
Barrels towards the line of scrimmage and leaving cut-back lanes for
nifty athletes to exploit. Lowers his shoulder to lay the intimidating
hit on ball-carriers and fails to wrap up, at times, relying the
collision to knock the opponent to the ground.

COMPARES
TO: Earl Thomas, Seattle Seahawks - Few free safeties possess Thomas'
blend of agility, closing speed and ball-skills. Should Clinton-Dix
continue to improve, he could soon join Thomas as a Pro Bowler.

Originally posted by Semiologist:

Not for my choice , as much as I like Lewan, Evans has the chance to be an absolute superstar who gives immediate help to EJ, and I do not like how Williams can and does disappear in games not to mention his off field problems

What's up guys no time no see? First of all, thanks to bojim for stepping up and running this thing. And thanks to Lizards for getting the ball rolling. Sorry for the absence...things have been really hectic for me the last couple months at work and personally so I haven't really had time to think about this. So I'm glad someone took over and it is running smoothly. Hope you all can forgive me =)

That said, with the 14th pick in the PGSF Mock Draft, the Chicago Bears select.....

496x600

Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State (2013 National Champions)

This really is not a homer pick at all. The Bears had arguably the worst defense in the NFL last season. The line was devastated by injuries and it was so frustrating watching teams run all over them each week. Luckily, they've already made several moves to boost the defense including the pickup of Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston on the edges, while re-signing Jay Ratliff in the middle. Also, they addressed safety by picking up Ryan Mundy and MD Jennings. Jernigan would be an awesome bolster to the line, and I really hope this happens so I get to continue to watch Timmy dominate each week. Bears still need a lot of help on the line and Timmy would be a great addition to the club.

This post was edited on 4/4 11:16 PM by fsu67810

How's everybody been? Still enjoying the national championship afterglow? I know I certainly have been.

Originally posted by fsu67810:
How's everybody been? Still enjoying the national championship afterglow? I know I certainly have been.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Absolutely, and welcome back...

jonstewart.gif

I'm glad you're not so busy as to miss out on the fun.

I do think the Jernigan choice was slightly a homer pick as most "experts" have Aaron Donald being the first DT off the board. That said, we have that right since I'm assuming were all Noles here. T.J. would flourish with the new talent surrounding him on Chicago's D-line.

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
I do think the Jernigan choice was slightly a homer pick as most "experts" have Aaron Donald being the first DT off the board. That said, we have that right since I'm assuming were all Noles here. T.J. would flourish with the new talent surrounding him on Chicago's D-line.
IMO Donald and TJ are very different players. I don't see a 5'11" 285# interior lineman flourishing inside in the NFL.

Originally posted by NoleLizards
Some truth to this...although the couple times I saw Donald play he certainly didn't affect the game like Timmy. I don't think I heard his named called one time against Miami.

Originally posted by DFSNOLE
Originally posted by fsu67810:
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Get over to the FedEx Cup thread and make your picks there next week for The Masters.
Good call I will thanks for the reminder.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - FSUrgad06 is on the Clock

With the 15th selection, the Pittsburgh Steelers select, TE from the University of North Carolina, Eric Ebron.

I looked at 3 positions/areas for the Steelers: CB, with both of the ones worthy of a top 20 pick gone, OT, with the top 3 gone, and then pass catching, and Ebron is the best available.

I'm posing from a tablet and can't figure out how to post a picture, but here is a good write-up.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Smooth, gliding athlete with easy acceleration to speed past defenders in coverage and finish. Agile feet and dangerous after the catch to create with quick cuts to make defenders miss.
Quick release off the LOS with route fluidity and natural flexibility. Smooth adjustments to pluck the ball with his hands away from his body - large catching radius. Physical when he wants as a blocker with strong initial power at the point of attack. Very good toughness and plays unintimidated and confident. Good football awareness and plays alert.

Versatile experience lining up in-line, but mostly in the slot - also plays on special teams coverage. Still far from his ceiling.

WEAKNESSES: Still developing his body with room to add bulk and get stronger. Still learning how to use his size to his advantage. Needs to show more authority in his routes and is too easily redirected - needs to be more physical in this area to match up in tight spaces.

Needs to be more aggressive and strong at the catch point, especially in contested situations. Has his share of focus drops and needs to be more consistent finishing catches. Good length, but won't overwhelm defenders in the run game. Blocking technique needs developing - somewhat untested as an in-line blocker. Room to refine and sharpen his routes. Right shoulder injury in 2013.

COMPARES TO: Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco 49ers - Freaky athletic specimens, both Ebron and Davis move like wide receivers, but have the size and length of tight ends to create mismatches in coverage.

grad you sonofa....

With the 16th pick in the 2014 PGSF NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Aaron Donald, DT from Pittsburgh.

Felt like I was drafting for an expansion team defensively, thought about going with the safety from Louisville, because the Boys need pretty much everything defensively, but Donald is extremely versatile, and IIRC had more production last year than Suh did his last year of college.

bojimnole,

Can you fix my username on the pick board? Thanks.

I like the idea of the Cowboys going DT, but when I voted for Timmy J on Walter Football's reader mock draft, Dallas fans were adamant that their brain trust (i.e., Jerry Jones) was more likely to draft an end in an attempt to replace Demarcus Ware. I didn't agree because I felt Kony Ealy would be a reach at 16. Perhaps the Boys will trade down as they did last year if they're looking for a DE.

With the 17th pick, the Baltimore Ravens select S Calvin Pryor of Louisville.

Strengths
Very good instincts. Physical, lights-out hitter (see second defensive snap of UCF game). Very aggressive running the alley and seeks to make his presence felt in the run game. Sacrifices his body. Defensive tempo-setter. Made a spectacular, one-handed INT vs. UCF. Good pre-snap recognition -- makes adjustments. Explosive tackler. Can leverage the field off the hash and cover ground. Good zone recognition. Rangy enough to play center field. Carries a swagger and plays with confidence.

Weaknesses
Plays with too much reckless abandon and lacks discipline playing the cutback. Takes some bad angles and can be outflanked to the perimeter. Average production on the ball. Is not asked to play a lot of man coverage.

Bottom Line
A big, physical, hammering run defender brings an enforcer mentality to the box and an intimidating, punishing presence to the back end. Is arguably the most violent hitter in this year's draft class and should make his presence felt readily in the pros.

With the 18th pick, the New York J-E-T-S Jets select...

BrandinCooks.jpg

Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State.

The Jets were abysmal at the wide receiver position a year ago, so it was really hard to gauge just how good then-rookie QB Geno Smith actually was. N.Y. picked up tall veteran possession receiver in Eric Decker during free agency, and now with Cooks, they add a super-fast complement on the other side. Cooks comes from a pro-style offense at OSU, so he actually understands how to run routes and other details which will come in handy right away in the NFL. He ran the fastest WR 40 time at the Combine following leading the nation in receptions in '13 for the Beavers.

Originally posted by fmol4:
bojimnole,

oops, got it.

Sorry, I guess I typed it wrong and then kept getting it wrong over and over...

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - DL817 is on the Clock

With the 19th pick in the PGSF NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama.

CJ-Mosley-Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Defense-205x300.jpg

STRENGTHS: Mosley does a nice job using his length and lower body
fluidity to keep himself clean through a crowd and finishes at the
ball, wrapping and driving through his target. He is very smart and
keeps his eyes on the ball to track and attack and rarely makes mental
mistakes, which is a result of his high football IQ and preparation
skills.
WEAKNESSES: Isn't always fundamentally
consistent as a tackler, at times opting to throw himself at his target
or drop his head on contact. Missed time in 2011 with a dislocated
elbow.
COMPARES TO: Lavonte David, LB, Tampa Bay
Buccaneers - Like David, Mosley's combination of toughness, elite
instincts and superb athleticism offer the versatility of lining up
inside or out, and have enabled him to be one of the nation's top
all-around linebackers.

Miami seems to be mocked an offensive lineman, but they did sign Brandon Albert in the offseason. Zach Martin may be the pick here, but Miami needs inside help on defense, and CJ Mosley is the best inside backer in the draft. He'll start immediately and be a cog in the middle of their defense for quite a while.

This is awesome...I've never seen us keep this pace up through a weekend like this. If we can keep this up, anyone for a fourth round??

With the 20th pick the Arizona Cardinals select

Zack-Martin.jpg

Zach Martin , OT, Notre Dame

Per CBS:

Martin lined up at both guard and tackle at the Senior Bowl and routinely stymied the competition with quickness, power and overall technique.

Though Martin lacks the prototypical size of a modern NFL tackle, he has exhibited impressive technique and better-than-average strength, and after a strong Senior Bowl showing, many scouts believe he could not only play on the outside at the next level, but could do so very well.

He's instinctive, tough and technically sound despite lacking elite athleticism, and his biggest appeal to NFL scouts may be his versatility as many believe he could step in and succeed either at tackle or guard, as a pro
Arizona has an immediate need at tackle and Martin could be ideal.

Originally posted by bojimnole:

Originally posted by fmol4:
bojimnole,

oops, got it.

Sorry, I guess I typed it wrong and then kept getting it wrong over and over...
No worries. Thanks again.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - TommyNole is on the Clock

Was really tempted to go offense here, and I wanted Ebron bad, but with that said...

With the 21st overall pick in the 2014 PGSF NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers select..... Kyle Fuller, CB Virginia Tech

The Packers need another WR, and bodies on the OL, but their defensive needs, specifically in the backfield, are far greater.

e6be85934998d3318e2260f96c1b3503.jpg

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Physical demeanor with good length. Excellent toughness and energy -- plays like he's 25 pounds thicker. Good vertical leap and smooth hip action to flip-and-go.
Good route recognition and outstanding read-and-react quickness to mirror or plant-and-drive to attack. Above-average anticipation and cover instincts. Studies receivers and does his homework to know what to look for without hesitation.

Physical in run support and works hard to get off blocks. Closes in a flash with a fierce attitude. Heady and opportunistic player. Very good ball awareness and NFL ball skills. Good blitzer. Experience playing inside and outside and at safety, linebacker and special teams.

WEAKNESSES: Very lean with limited muscle definition and overall growth potential. Overaggressive nature and he over-pursues in coverage and run support to compensate for lack of elite speed. Doesn't have gear to recover if he loses a step at the line. Too "hands on" and is susceptible to mental errors. Tends to freelance. Undisciplined making tackles in the open field. Strong durability concerns with his physical style and lean body type. Senior season ended prematurely due to hernia surgery in Nov. 2013.

Compares To: Jason McCourty, Titans - Fuller isn't an elite athlete, but he's agile and quick with the aggressive nature and reaction quickness to make plays against the pass and the run.

--Dane Brugler

PLAYER OVERVIEW

A three-star recruit, Fuller played multiple positions over his four-year starting career in Blacksburg -- linebacker, safety, cornerback and nickel.
An All-ACC performer the past three seasons, Fuller is rangy and light-footed with quick movements, long arms and can play man or zone coverage. Fuller is a string bean with limited room to get much stronger, but he plays bigger than he looks with the confidence and instincts to make plays wherever he lines up.

NL, Uncle Walter has the Raiders taking Carr at #5, but might try to trade down and still get Carr.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - pdubb09 is on the Clock

With the 22nd pick in the 2014 draft. The Philadelphia Eagles select.....

Marqise Lee- WR USC

I really wanted Pryor or HaHa, I thought about Mosley or Fuller and they just kept flying off the board. I would have taken Cooks when I adjusted my focus to offense after the DeShaun fiasco but of course he was gone.

It came down to KB and Lee. I could totally see Chip taking KB b/c of the size. However I think he PAC-12 homers out and goes with the better all around receiver in Lee.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - NoleLizards is on the Clock

With the 23rd pick, the Kansas City Chiefs select...

51edd0af-4a63-4a21-b567-97e5c4e9072e-640x417.jpg

Xavier Su'a-Filo, G, UCLA.

Ideally, it would be awesome at this point if K.C. could trade down since the Chiefs do not have a 2nd-round pick due to the Alex Smith trade. However, in this PGSF mock, they must make do and pick the best player available that makes sense based on team needs. Losing two of its top three guards in free agency, the Chiefs must rebuild the interior of their o-line. K.C. acquired Jeff Linkenbach in F.A. and now fill the other guard spot with the fast-rising Su'a-Filo. This tremendous athlete for his size is versatile as he played both tackle (Chiefs have a need there, as well, with the loss of Branden Albert) and guard for the Bruins, and he had an amazing Combine.

Like Pdubb with the Eagles, I was hoping one of the first round-graded safeties would fall here, but that didn't happen. The Chiefs also need to find a quality WR or TE to complement Dwayne Bowe. However, Eric Ebron is off the board and receiver happens to be the deepest position in this draft, so that can be addressed later. Being old school, I always say when in doubt strengthen your team in the trenches where it counts.

This post was edited on 4/6 10:08 AM by NoleLizards

With the 24th pick, the Cincinnati Bengals select

hi-res-3e9c911b2823febb812a013a23e3ce3b_crop_north.jpg

Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri

With the loss of Michael Johnson, Ealy fills an immediate need as well being a potential impact player in the mold of Robert Quin.

With the 25th pick, the San Diego Chargers select...

stephon-tuitt-louis-nix.jpg

Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

San Diego could use a receiver to complement Allen, but with the loss of Cam Thomas there is greater need on the defense.
Nix will be great against the run and effectively plug the middle of the Chargers 3-4 defense.

Nice picks, new commish.
wink.r191677.gif

Bridgewater sitting their for Cincinnati was tempting but Ealy has too much upside.

With the 26th pick in the PGSF NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville.

images

I don't see how Bridgewater falls this far, or even out of the top 5, but in this scenario, Cleveland will be salivating at the mouth. Bridgewater is the most NFL ready QB in the draft, and he's often overlooked because he doesn't have the personality of someone like Manziel.

Strengths Extremely competitive and driven to succeed.
Well-prepared and confident in his approach. Operated a pro-style,
progression-read offense where he is asked to scan the whole field and
set protections. Footwork is very clean and in rhythm -- throws on
balance with sound mechanics, a fluid delivery and smooth stroke. Very
good timing, touch and anticipation -- throws receivers open. Is patient
working through his reads and will step up in the pocket. Sells
play-action hard and takes what the defense gives him. Poised in the
face of the blitz and often anticipates it coming. Is very mentally and
physically tough -- played through a broken left wrist with a sprained
ankle in what was essentially the 2012 Big East championship game,
coming off the bench to captain the Cardinals to a come-from-behind
victory. Is a student of the game with a very good understanding of
football concepts. Plays like a coach on the field, knows the
responsibilities of everyone on the field and can get teammates lined up
correctly. Makes few mental errors. Consistently moves the chains and
converts in critical situations. Is given a lot of autonomy to make
pre-snap reads and adjustments at the line of scrimmage and understands
how to exploit defenses. Meticulous in his preparation. Has a passion
for the game and really works at it. Smart, determined and focused. Is
only 21 years old -- incredibly mature for his age and can see the big
picture. Really works at his craft and showed gradual improvement every
season. Football is extremely important to him. Highly respected,
unselfish team leader.

Weaknesses Has a very lean, narrow frame with limited
bulk and small hands. Does not drive the ball with velocity down the
field and can be affected by cold and windy conditions (see Cincinnati).
Can improve placement and touch on the deep ball. Adequate athlete. Is
not an overly elusive scrambler -- struggles escaping the rush and
buying a second chance with his feet vs. pressure. Passing stats are
padded from operating a passing game that relies heavily on short,
lateral tosses. Long-term durability could become a concern without
continued strength and weight gains.

Draft Projection Round 1

Bottom Line A calculated, football-smart,
precision-matchup rhythm passer, Bridgewater would be best suited
entering a warm-weather or dome environment such as those most common in
the South divisions. Would stand to benefit heavily from operating a
short, dink-and-dunk rhythm passing game. Compensates for a lack of
elite arm talent and prototype measureables with the intangibles and
football intelligence that could elevate the other 52 players around
him. Instinctive passer with the laser-beam determination to become a
Pro Bowl-caliber passer in the right system.

After the first 8 picks, there aren't that many teams that are QB-needy, so it's no wonder in a mock like this one which doesn't allow trades that a Bridgewater could slip this far. In real life, I can see someone who passed on a signal-caller early but needs one will trade up to get Bridgewater or Manziel if they're still available halfway through the first round.

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
After the first 8 picks, there aren't that many teams that are QB-needy, so it's no wonder in a mock like this one which doesn't allow trades that a Bridgewater could slip this far. In real life, I can see someone who passed on a signal-caller early but needs one will trade up to get Bridgewater or Manziel if they're still available halfway through the first round.
I think this is why Cleveland is bound to stray from taking a QB with the 4th pick. At 26, you're going to force Houston, Oakland, maybe Minnesota to jump ahead of 26 to take a pick.

I don't think anyone in the middle of the 1st would be willing to drop back 15-20 spots unless they're geting a future 1st, and I don't know why anyone would trade a future first for a guy like Manziel or Carr who drops. Cleveland is in the perfect position, because to move ahead of 26 fron the 3rd or 4th pick in the 2nd round is going to cost you a hefty price.

Re: PGSF NFL Draft - NolaNole9 is on the Clock

Boy, wouldn't Cleveland love for the draft to break this way. Bridgewater, Morgan, and Watkins is a great start to building an offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT