ADVERTISEMENT

Po Boys on Pensacola St.

Jon Sweede, so many stories when I used to work there. Back in early 1999-2002, it wasn't that bad.

I went back a year or two the floors were greasy, I asked for a bowl of jambalaya because I knew all it took was for the bartender to walk back there and scoop a bowl and be done with it. Well, I waited 30 minutes for that bowl of jambalaya. I blame the younger generations for not being as competent.
Were you a waiter or bartender? I was in there on game weekend all the time during that time.

And yet this guy is still allowed to open restaurants. A Tucker Dukes just opened in Boca earlier this year. I never get the people who don't pay taxes for their restaurant. It NEVER works out.

Has another restaurant come in to the Po Boy's downtown spot, and is it a good watering hole?

SHE="Nole Daddy, post: 2267378, member: 1778"]Has another restaurant come in to the Po Boy's downtown spot, and is it a good watering hole?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Southern Public House. I like it better than Tucker Dukes and Po Boys. They've got a nicely balanced but relatively small (8-12 taps) craft brew selection, some really good high end burgers and pretty decent gastropubby/American "tapas". Basically what Wells Brother/Monks and Midtown Caboose tries to do, but better quality albeit a smaller selection and menu. It's sophisticated enough that I've met my billionaire business partner there after he's flown in on one of his jet fleet and yet moderately priced enough I've met plenty of former college and high school friends with their less than high brow tastes. It's a burger and brew place where the sophisticate can meet with the goofus and both will enjoy their food and drink.

My only complaint is that the staff is slow....ridiculously slow. You'll order a beer and a burger on a moderate night not even a slammed one and it will be an hour or more from sitdown to eating food. Consequently, I never go there when my wife and I just want a good burger, we'll go to Burger Fi, Grub Burger, or Steak and Shake for that. But if I want to sit around discussing business or old times before eating a decent meal that's when I head to the Southern.

Reactions: Nole Daddy
SHE="Nole Daddy, post: 2267378, member: 1778"]Has another restaurant come in to the Po Boy's downtown spot, and is it a good watering hole?

Yeah, the Southern Public House. I like it better than Tucker Dukes and Po Boys. They've got a nicely balanced but relatively small (8-12 taps) craft brew selection, some really good high end burgers and pretty decent gastropubby/American "tapas". Basically what Wells Brother/Monks and Midtown Caboose tries to do, but better quality albeit a smaller selection and menu. It's sophisticated enough that I've met my billionaire business partner there after he's flown in on one of his jet fleet and yet moderately priced enough I've met plenty of former college and high school friends with their less than high brow tastes. It's a burger and brew place where the sophisticate can meet with the goofus and both will enjoy their food and drink.

My only complaint is that the staff is slow....ridiculously slow. You'll order a beer and a burger on a moderate night not even a slammed one and it will be an hour or more from sitdown to eating food. Consequently, I never go there when my wife and I just want a good burger, we'll go to Burger Fi, Grub Burger, or Steak and Shake for that. But if I want to sit around discussing business or old times before eating a decent meal that's when I head to the Southern.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. I used to go to Po Boy's to drink, and the service for getting a drink was ok. It was the kitchen that had the problem getting food out. Slow service is a problem for me.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

My only complaint is that the staff is slow....ridiculously slow. You'll order a beer and a burger on a moderate night not even a slammed one and it will be an hour or more from sitdown to eating food. Consequently, I never go there when my wife and I just want a good burger, we'll go to Burger Fi, Grub Burger, or Steak and Shake for that. But if I want to sit around discussing business or old times before eating a decent meal that's when I head to the Southern.
Thanks for the info. I used to go to Po Boy's to drink, and the service for getting a drink was ok. It was the kitchen that had the problem getting food out. Slow service is a problem for me.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's something to do with the location. Because all three restaurants (Southern, Tucker Dukes and Po Boys) at that location have been SSLLLOOOOOOWWWW.

Thanks for the info. I used to go to Po Boy's to drink, and the service for getting a drink was ok. It was the kitchen that had the problem getting food out. Slow service is a problem for me.

Maybe it's something to do with the location. Because all three restaurants (Southern, Tucker Dukes and Po Boys) at that location have been SSLLLOOOOOOWWWW.[/QUOTE]
See that is a problem. At least get the darn drinks out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT