ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: who will win the World Cup?

Ghana just whipped South Korea - (let's be honest, a team that's roughly on our level, talent-wise) 4-0, in their last warm-up friendly.

Nigeria was garbage. After seeing how poor Nigeria was against us, I won't be surprised if they lose to even Iran. (Hey, WE lost to Iran, in 1998.)

Ghana plays a largely-defensive, possession variety of football, and they do it very well. They counter-attack well. They don't make a lot of mistakes. They're sort of an African version of Italy. They're definitely beatable, and I think we've got a good chance to do just that. But factually, they came in 4th in the ANC, and they've won most of their matches in 2014. They qualified top of their group for the World Cup, and they've won or tied almost all of their friendliess since 2013 (w/the exception of two 1:0 defeats leading up to the World Cup vs. Montenegro and Holland, and a bad loss to Japan.) I don't understand why you keep saying that they haven't won a match in forever. That's not even close to accurate.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:

Ghana just whipped South Korea - (let's be honest, a team that's roughly on our level, talent-wise) 4-0, in their last warm-up friendly.

Nigeria was garbage. After seeing how poor Nigeria was against us, I won't be surprised if they lose to even Iran. (Hey, WE lost to Iran, in 1998.)

Ghana plays a largely-defensive, possession variety of football, and they do it very well. They counter-attack well. They don't make a lot of mistakes. They're sort of an African version of Italy. They're definitely beatable, and I think we've got a good chance to do just that. But factually, they came in 4th in the ANC, and they've won most of their matches in 2014. They qualified top of their group for the World Cup, and they've won or tied almost all of their friendliess since 2013 (w/the exception of two 1:0 defeats leading up to the World Cup vs. Montenegro and Holland, and a bad loss to Japan.) I don't understand why you keep saying that they haven't won a match in forever. That's not even close to accurate.

I'll just focus on the South Korea comparison first. Their best player plays for Bolton. A team that got relegated in 2013. Their stars are under 25 and they are 57th in world.

We're ranked 13th and our best player finished 4th for EPL of the and we had multiple guys who have played in the champions league. Our keeper is top 5 for EPL, the best league in the world. We have very good players.

Ghana is old version of our national team that just tries to out run guys and can't make a tackle without fouling. Essen is the only world class player that they have, if he even stays on the field because of his age. They are pretty much a kick and chase team without any shape or discipline.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Well, there's only one thing left to do. Let's go win the damned thing!

South Korea's best player, Son Heung Min, actually plays in the Bundesliga. But yes, their team overall is crap.

Originally posted by minernole:
South Korea's best player, Son Heung Min, actually plays in the Bundesliga. But yes, their team overall is crap.

He's only been there 1 year though. He's very young though.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Still no votes for Spain. The more I'm thinking about things, the more I would tend to consider switching my vote to them (if I was going to switch away from Brazil.)

Obviously Germany should be one of the favorites, but for some reason, I have a weird feeling they are going to crash and burn. I'll probably eat those words later, but I can see a Round of 16 upset. Don't ask me why. Just a gut feeling.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:

Still no votes for Spain. The more I'm thinking about things, the more I would tend to consider switching my vote to them (if I was going to switch away from Brazil.)

Obviously Germany should be one of the favorites, but for some reason, I have a weird feeling they are going to crash and burn. I'll probably eat those words later, but I can see a Round of 16 upset. Don't ask me why. Just a gut feeling.
I'm a big fan of Spain......I've got them making it to the final but Brazil, at home, is tough to pick against.

I must say great job guys! With the exception of the one homer U.S. pick, the four teams selected in the poll are the ones in the semis. You all know your stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT