ADVERTISEMENT

Post-Spring Roundtable (Gene, Ira, Ryan C. and Jeff Cameron)

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
With Florida State having wrapped up spring practice with the annual Garnet & Gold Game last weekend, it's time for the Warchant Roundtable to reconvene and attempt to put what we saw in proper perspective. This edition of the Roundtable features Warchant's Gene Williams, Ira Schoffel and Ryan Clark, along with ESPN Tallahassee's Jeff Cameron. Our panel will tackle five burning questions facing FSU as it enters the summer months.

Q: Most everyone agrees that Deondre Francois and Malik Henry showed in the spring game they offer more upside than senior Sean Maguire. But do you think Jimbo Fisher sticks with Maguire because of his experience? Either for this season or at least the season opener on Labor Day against Ole Miss?

JEFF: I think Jimbo will allow for a proper competition to play out, and as that unfolds it will be evident that Deondre Francois is the starting QB for the 2016 ‘Noles. It is important for this competition to occur, even if it seems evident right now that Francois is the better option. Sean is rightfully very respected by his teammates and has been a hardworking, loyal and valuable member of this team. And if the job were to be stripped from him while injured, you might find distrust and resentment welling within the program. Coach Fisher respects Sean and knows the players do, too. He'll allow Francois to wrestle the job from Maguire in a way that the players can see is right and dutifully earned.

GENE: There is no question that both Francois and Henry are more talented and have a bigger upside. The future is extremely bright at quarterback. But the question in my mind is when the future begins.
You can’t discount Maguire’s four-plus years in the system and six starts simply because another player has more potential. Complicating matters is that FSU opens the season against what will likely be a top-15 opponent at a neutral location. With that in mind, the most likely scenario is Maguire getting the nod in the opener with Francois taking over at some point during the season.
For those that insist that Francois should start in the opener, remember those interceptions (and reversed fumble call) in the spring game. Those were rookie mistakes, and you can bet there will be more of those when he makes his first college start. It is one thing to have a few extra gaffes against Charleston Southern, but quite another against Ole Miss. Even Charlie Ward had five interceptions in his first start, and that was against Duke. If something similar happens in the opener, FSU will start the season 0-1.

IRA: I’m with Jeff here. I think it will be a fair competition in the preseason and that Francois will claim the job for the opener, with Maguire serving as a veteran backup. I just think the positives Francois offers -- he can make every throw on the field, and he is a threat as a runner -- outweigh any potential negatives. With Francois running an offense that features Dalvin Cook in the backfield and a very deep and talented receiver corps, the Seminoles could once again become explosive on offense. And I understand that Francois will make rookie mistakes, but my primary issue with Maguire is he is prone to making mistakes as well. If you really look at the way Maguire has played when he has gotten opportunities, he has been more of a high-risk/high-reward quarterback than a game manager. So if you’re going to be taking some risks anyway, I believe the rewards would be much higher with Francois. And I think it happens for the opener.

RYAN: Barring something major happening, Deondre Francois is going to start the season against Ole Miss. I actually think Sean Maguire would need to have the offseason and fall camp of his life if he wants to start the season opener. Experience can be a bit misleading. At this point, it's about who gives FSU a greater chance to win. Francois already has the best arm on the team. His athleticism and quickness provide a dimension the Seminoles lacked in 2015. Not saying he will be a dual-threat burner, but he can keep plays alive or run a few yards downfield to eliminate the threat of a sack.

4GuJpdBRVohWUw4h4T2E0GQ7Chh6CUtNMHKdoGCRCEUeI7eakwOZsCbVePpD3e76RQwt5sGYGJV4PB6vA__1DPjwsh9mYRGw-an9RZN7ezL5O82kikMAgnRM6UA9ZvVrqx3bihJZJ11f7YhzP_srmnmU1RefOzyDnecOcy36Jz0-fAuwyyPnK96yStKxKdn9x7EV_WxtJeS4d4P9omWNUQ23021QttEVhQSw37QVi3PhDe3w4nzrSIolBRuGL1qcTLrVNig3r322jV56wnzyR7uk30wTYhexGS7u0C9t5NR1OyBjCa8oOziFk547Wr9ncIwDzfzevjt5-lNGHFpAfE6eJRa-ZnqfrBSK53k6mWhg-0hUxNOxdGJHcW7j6sQal-f0xOsiKoPL-jPLVD-TczVbqYhogigfRmIdZwjn_yfh3xZkmEaNH8BEx9HbjaVNXaS8fHXOEy_bm3Tr5nOnQjYFgEfeNIBa53zllK-KijVh38qVN4nLJ2ou4bgJG5xT3qxby4JpDY45duFEIzN3tN4OuJSbYZVIlHpHWHLCSWrtRt_YviYPTij8Kipwry9KQ5Od=w1200-h800-no

Q: Sticking with the offense, let's talk about WR Auden Tate. He caught six passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns in Orlando. Will he be another Spring Game phenom who disappears in the fall? Or will he be a vital piece of the offense in 2016?

GENE: Tate sure looked the part last Saturday. He used all of his 6-foot-5 frame, caught the ball well, and despite his size even showed some wiggle in the open field. While I was extremely high on Tate at the conclusion of the game, my enthusiasm was somewhat tempered after hearing that he was off on a good number of routes. I still believe Tate will be FSU’s best “big” receiver option this fall, but also realize that Fisher is a stickler for his receivers running the correct routes. If that aspect of his game can be improved in the offseason, then yes, he could become a vital piece of the offense. But until he gets more consistent with his routes, his opportunities could be limited.

IRA: It is a fact that spring game stars sometimes flame out before ever having great success in the fall, but I don’t believe that will be the case with Tate. It wasn’t as if he had been having a ho-hum spring and then just had a lucky day. We had been hearing glowing reports about Tate’s impressive spring for weeks before the spring game. That is an indication that he has some staying power. As Gene said, I’m sure he still has room to grow as a route-runner and also understanding all of Jimbo Fisher’s offense. But with that size and body control, I think he will be a major factor at least in the red zone.

RYAN: If he cleans up his mistakes, there's nothing standing in Auden Tate's way when it comes to being a major piece. Ermon Lane has been inconsistent, and Ja'Vonn Harrison (who was injured for most of spring) really hasn't made a mark. Tate seems to be filling that void. Should Travis Rudolph meet expectations and Bobo Wilson and Kermit Whitfield continue their progression, it opens the door for Tate to be another dimension. He seems ready to meet the challenge and be a significant contributor in 2016.

JEFF: Tate will be an important piece to the offense for a couple of reasons. Let's start with the obvious, he's uniquely gifted. A guy with his height and frame needs to be on the field, so long as he can catch. And from what we saw in Orlando, he can. I thought he looked comfortable with his size, showed very good hands, was able to go up and get it, and there is no question he and Deondre have a good rapport.

Q: Name two players in the spring game you would describe as pleasant surprises and explain what impressed you.

IRA: There actually were more than two, but I’ll go with Ryan Green at running back and Marcus Lewis at cornerback.
Even though he has been on campus for four years now, I had never really seen much of Green at running back – he was injured for his first few spring games. But you can see why he was so heavily recruited. As much as Fisher and others rave about his speed, I was impressed by how hard he ran between the tackles. I also loved his second effort on that touchdown run. And we didn’t even really get to see what he can do in space. If he can stay healthy, I think he’s got a chance to really contribute this fall.
Lewis was maybe even more impressive. Not only did he look good covering Travis Rudolph, but you have to love the attitude be brought to the position. That guy has some swagger. I once thought Tarvarus McFadden was a lock for the cornerback position vacated by Jalen Ramsey, but I’m not so sure. I think they’ll both be on the field a lot in 2016.

RYAN: For me, first would be Malik Henry. We didn't know what to really expect, and he looked really good. Given Fisher's penchant for not starting true freshmen at quarterback, he'll likely redshirt next year. But to see him come in and perform in front of a crowd like that is a good sign for Florida State. Imagine what he'll be like next spring once he has an actual year of running the scout-team offense? Second would be Walvenski Aime’ at defensive tackle. He's so quick for that position. If he can build upon his spring, that interior with him, Derrick Nnadi and Demarcus Christmas could be a bonus for FSU.

GENE: The first player that comes to my mind is Ryan Green. When Fisher announced that Green had moved back to offense this spring, there wasn’t much fanfare. That’s because the redshirt junior had become somewhat of a forgotten man after spending the last couple years battling injuries. He was also moving to a position that appeared to have plenty of depth. But with Mario Pender out of action and Dalvin Cook sitting out the tail end of spring practice, the former Rivals100 running back saw plenty of action and made the most of it. In addition to positive reports from closed practices and scrimmages, the 5-foot-11, 205-pounder turned heads at the spring game, rushing for 84 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries, in addition to 41 receiving yards. Instead of being a non-factor this season, Green could provide valuable depth to a position that could certainly use it if Pender doesn’t return.
My other surprise player is Wally Aime’. The junior college transfer jumped off the page with his tenacity and instincts in the spring game. Generally, it’s difficult for rookie defensive tackles to make a quick impact, but that may not be the case for Aime’ as a junior college transfer. We heard positive reports about the Boynton Beach, Fla., native during practices, and he showed out for the Garnet team last Saturday. Despite a pretty stacked depth chart, it wouldn’t surprise me if he sees significant playing time off the bench this fall.

JEFF: I was very impressed with Rick Leonard. His frame will allow for him to put on a lot of size, and his footwork was fantastic. He showed a very good understanding of our outside zone-blocking scheme, and he clearly excelled in blitz pickup. He's a nice player and once again allows for competition and depth. FSU has not had that many quality OL options to turn to in the past, and this is something I am most excited about. On defense, I’m with Ira -- Marcus Lewis has a lot of "what for" to go along with ability. Lewis is going to make McFadden work harder than he anticipated for that corner spot and might beat him out. If you watch that game again, you'll note that Lewis won the matchup vs. Rudolph most of the time.

c_qeJjudxB7fWiSUHweGAFmBKfWueQ-LRTVl6dCmqwfpr5C6QhdzhGH-MMtSGe8F7yDlHRE-eaddMkprxJe2Mavm9k9vUsZGmg5DkZsVipAv248pJd0qT6NG-_mA4YrsQVinScqZAwXkttYePSKdAStzBC19F8AdPD8wp8C0xRzv1yYlfeJd5q1JwMw-AGAuW4RKgzpB6ieXgbwAS3Gx3krBbHjvOzjMvg9YF6IAP4xPyM48QUyNQfwLR-09k90ErltCAXY1HNundRdWNAj1C0wehfCdsQqSMkYNqfhCCUBpkhXYE8MBAn4ENJBiai4CJMjBwKEsVpDNGhgrQZd0AvP3QEvRtdc0-wGciCc4vhf3rRgEg9hfUY7RKmUS8g838KR1YIYJW8YjvGR5snEblEluqSDydDY3GY7W4pSYYzeterOcKAYoxmOGIJKdJTw9uwU2XfDcmk2mg42-sgeK3BGli4UbA_cdax623HLjpwy5s2gvL12cg7UyyIo-bxIaMaaopgi_yfQavMIyKAzOzXTUXjK1-tB-BgAcd0o7yj8E5jPySY5g5WAPF75v-1gwptdH=w1200-h694-no

Q: Two areas of concern going into spring were OL and LB. Do you feel better about either segment after the spring, or is there still reason for fans to worry?

RYAN: Let's start with the offensive line. There's some concern because a number of players were injured and had to miss spring, and we've seen how a lack of depth can be crippling. Although there appeared to be progress on the OL, we won't know for sure until they've played a few games. What happens on the right side of the line with Rick Leonard, Wilson Bell and Brock Ruble will be something to keep an eye on. As for the linebackers, they’re still a bit young from an experience standpoint. Ro'Derrick Hoskins becomes the leader this year, while Matthew Thomas looks to finally stay on the field for a complete season. Beyond that, I like what's there in terms of depth and talent.

GENE: I agree that things look pretty good at linebacker. There was talk last year that Ro’Derrick Hoskins was the best linebacker among the group. With how he performed this spring, there’s little doubt that position coach Bill Miller has a bell cow headed into the 2016 season. Hoskins, a redshirt junior, capped off spring practice with a standout performance in the spring game, recording seven tackles, a sack and an interception for the Gold team. With Matthew Thomas finally healthy -- and eligible -- the starting linebacker unit is set with two talented players. With guys like Sh’Mar Kilby-Lane, freshman Josh Brown, and even long-injured Delvin Purifoy, playing well this spring, the segment should be in great shape this fall.
Offensive line is still TBA in my mind. There’s little doubt that with everybody back, Rick Trickett’s group will be improved from the disappointing performance in 2015. However, just how improved is uncertain. The segment looked more physically mature and on the same page this spring, but mixed reports from practice and some shakeups on the right side of the line were indicators that it may still be a work in progress. That being said, mixing up the starters and backups in the spring game greatly hindered our ability to accurately judge how far the line has come.

JEFF: While the offensive line must continue to improve, I do have more optimism than in previous years that it will. There is the potential for quality depth, and that in turn spurs competition. We've witnessed moments in the past that found FSU fans hoping for a quality five, let alone some form of talented depth that could pick up an injured player with little to no drop-off. The LB corps will see a noticeable uptick in speed if Mathew "The Unicorn" Thomas can stay on the field, and I really like Ro'Derrick Hoskins. Josh Brown opened my eyes a bit in the spring game, and of course this unit will get Tyrell Lyons back in the fall. With Sh'Mar Kilby-Lane and Delvin Purifoy added to the mix, I think FSU has more than enough able bodies at linebacker. Heck, today's football sees so many nickel and dime packages, which leave you with no more than two LBs on the field over 60 percent of the time. So this is more than enough.

IRA: I really like the offensive line’s chances to be solid this fall. While I know Rick Trickett gets a lot of heat from fans, I don’t know what OL coach could have worked wonders with the situation his group faced last year. Not only did he have to replace four starters, but some key pieces were injured in camp and during the season. I don’t know that this group is going to be dominant, but the competition that we’ve seen so far is only going to make them better – and there is a whole class of young stars coming in this summer to push the veterans even more.

Q: If last year was somewhat of a rebuilding year and the 'Noles went 10-3. From what you saw this spring, will they be a legitimate national title contender this fall?

GENE: Last year, we pretty much knew how the season was going to play out. This year is more like a box of chocolates, to quote Forrest Gump. You really don’t know what you are going to get, but it should be pretty good.
Is FSU a legitimate title contender? Yes, the talent is there, but there are still a few questions that have to be answered. The biggest unknown is at quarterback. If there is improvement under center, and if the offensive line can make strides, the offense should be vastly improved. The defense should be just as good, if not better, if it can come together and stay away from injuries. If it works out that way, and with a couple breaks, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the ‘Noles in the playoffs come New Year’s Eve.

RYAN: Um. Yes. Even for all the questions we ask, they are a legit national title contender. What gives me that feeling is the accountability that's been demanded. We've heard Jimbo Fisher question toughness and consistency. We've heard DeMarcus Walker share his thoughts on teammates not going as hard as he would like. We've also heard about Derwin James becoming more vocal and Travis Rudolph taking a bigger leadership role. This spring had more intensity than the 2015 season showed at times. They know what's at stake.

IRA: I think they could be based on talent, but I’m not sure that the leadership is quite there yet. As Ryan said, there have been strides, but it doesn’t sound like there have been enough … at least to Jimbo Fisher’s liking. The good news is there are still a few months this summer for that to develop. Getting Clemson at home is huge, and getting them later in the season could be big, too, assuming the ‘Noles go with a new QB in Francois. I like FSU’s chances for a big year, but they’ll need to find the leadership that truly great teams have.

JEFF: I think they are a legit contender to win the ACC and lose no more than one game. If that happens, they're in the playoff. If you're in the playoff, then I guess you're a legit contender to win a national title. Ok, I just convinced myself the ‘Noles are going to win the national championship. Boom.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News