ADVERTISEMENT

Postgame quotes and interviews from 28-14 loss to NC State

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
Norvell is here.

Congratulates NC State.
"Really struggled there in the first half to get anything going offensively." Says defense was on the field way too long in the first half.
"Liked the response I saw from our guys, unfortunately we weren't able to finish it off there in the fourth. Big plays, third downs, really killed us tonight. Defensively 8 of 18, offensively 2 of 16, really couldn't get anything established. ... We struggled to run the football and weren't efficient enough there in the passing game."

Says poor tackling was a problem and said the first TD was a "coverage bust." Says he appreciates the way the guys are competing. "But not good enough."

On Travis's status: "Jordan was out tonight. He didn't suit up. Hopeful to get him back soon. It was a challenging week for everybody. ... In the community there's some sickness that spread that really made it challening. We had 25 guys who missed at least one practice. ... But that's not an excuse. It's part of football. ... Jordan was unavailable, there was no chance he could have played today. He's doing everything he can." Says there were a lot of guys who played despite not feeling great. "one of the things that definitely added to the challenge. We've got to to go out there and execute at a higher level."

"It was a very poor first half."

Says they wanted to try to establish the run, but obviously that didn't happen. Says they weren't effecitve at all on the perimeter in the first half. Had an untimely drop and a missed pass and could not get anything established in the run game. "It made it really challenging for us."

Says they did a better job in the second half moving the chains. "Good to get a couple of those touchdowns, just had those missed opportunities in the fourth. Couldn't sustain it."

"We played the top two run defenses in our league back to back, two of the best in the country. .. There are still some things we can do much better." Says they made some adjustments at halftime to create more space, "have to do a better job of coaching to try and create that space." Says when teams take away the run like the last two weeks they've got to be much more efficient in the passing game.

On not having Travis in the run game: "There were a handful of plays that were squeezed a little bit more. It's a defense that does a good job of taking away some of that space ... the quarterback run was something we thought had a chance throughout it ... but they did a nice job of winning blocks ... obviously Jordan's legs are pretty dynamic, it has an affect in the game ... but I don't know if they keyed on the backs anymore than they would have done."

On Milton's play: Says Milton had his own bout with the flu earlier in the week. "A lot of guys on our team were affected by that this week. ... Last Saturday, right before the Clemson game, (is when it started). .... It's not just the team and campus, it's something that's going on throughout the city. So, it was challenging. ... I thought McKenzie responded well throughout the course of the game."

On going for it on 4th and 4: Says he thought defense was doing a nice job. It was a possession game. They were struggling with field position, so trying to flip the field, on some of those other times they punted ... "I felt good about moving the ball off the one inch line ... it was in the go range for us, just with the timing of things and how the game was playing, wanted to be aggressive. ... had a chance for a stop. ... Got to where we wanted to be even with the aggressivness on the fourth down call."

Says Miami is "no doubt huge for this program. .... This is something that's extremely important to those kids, to our staff, we've got to continue to work. ... It's going to be a highly emotional game. ... We've got to come to work tomorrow and make sure we're applying the lessons."

On not finishing: "It comes down to a handful of those plays. ... Response is something I'm really pleased with within this team. When you get down to it, it's just the consistency of execution and consistency of those playmaking opportunities. ... This team has fought, this team has continued to respond, we've got to be more consistent in finishing off games."

He says it was an emotional, challenging week. "You see them sick, hurting. Our atheltic staff did a great job." ... there were times where we barely had one player at a position group." Says on Tuesday they had just four Olinemen available. "I told them in the pregame I was proud of them for what they did to get through this week. ... that rally they had in the fourth quarter, I was really pleased. You just have to be more consistent. I don't question these guys' hearts and determination."

On the onside kick: "Trying to seek that spark. ... Great execution by Parker being able to go out there and execute the kick. That really did give us a jolt."

That's a wrap for Norvell.

Jashaun Corbin is up.

"The flu was kind of going through the entire city of Tallahassee. ... Just new guys having to step up into bigger roles."

"We had to help the defense out. the defense was doing an amazing job for us. ... We just tried to sustain drives and make big plays, we got into a little rhythm in the second half, we just have to be able to do it for the entire game."

On NC State's run defense: "They have a good defensive coordinator, good defensive line, they have a good defense period. We know teams' main objective is to stop the run ... that's a great defense over there, so all credit to them."

On not having Travis: " it doesn't limit anything. KZ is just as capable. there's no drop off. ... they're both dynamic guys, so there's no drop-off. We just have to be better on offense."

On playing Miami: "We have to make the corrections, get the plays behind us and move on. Miami is clicking right now, they're hot right now, so we've got to be ready."

That's a wrap on Corbin.

Keyshawn Helton is up next.

"I think we should have played better. College football is someone going down, next man up. There shouldn'd be that big a difference ... got to do a better job of executing."

On his TD catch: That play wasn't called up like that. ... Says he saw Milton running back in the pocket, so he sprinted across the field to try and get his vision. ... Says Milton is really resilient.

Says the offense doesn't have a different feel. "My job is to catch the football no matter who it's coming from. That's my job."

Says he challenges the other guys to know their why, why they came to FSU, why they play football, and that he loves the game and has a passion for it. And he wants other guys to feel the same way.

"If anybody has to get hyped up for this game, they should not be playing at Florida State ... I'm looking forward to it, man."

"We had a few guys that were out this week, but there are no moral victories ... we lost the game. We did fight to the end, but we still lost. That' ssomethign we've got to work on."

Says they need to keep believing, keep trusting in what the coaches are saying. "We'll get back at it tomorrow."

That's a wrap for Helton.

Keir Thomas is up next.

"We've just got to eliminate the big plays ... I know I had a big part in one of the third down conversions ... I'll be the first to say that was my fault ..." .... said he was supposed to have the flat on one of those plays and didn't make it.

On the flu: "It was pretty tough, but our training staff did a great job .... just making sure we were still able to go. had IVs at practice, just little things like that ... that showed toughness for some of the guys."

"We've just got to tackle. It's simple."

"this group of guys, we've been losing, and they just don't flinch. They come to work on Sunday. We have GPS on our backs and they get to see ... and we just continue to put in work. I'm not really worried how we're going to respond. I know we're going to fight. It's just cleaning up the little things."

On Miami game: "Win. It would mean a lot to me, and I know it would mean a lot to this organization. And that's the goal. We've got to win."

On a couple of sacks in a row: "I just put myself in a position to help the team the best way I can. ... that's how I go into every game, how can i help my team to help us win?"

"I'd rather have zero tackles, zero sacks with a win. Rather than having two sacks, whatver my stats were, in a loss. I hate losing."

That's a wrap on Thomas.

McKenzie Milton up next.

"The bulk of the team was battling some elements ... just a bad bug going around. ... It was tough, but the way our team handled it, it doesn't surprise me with the way we've responded to adversity all year. ... I was proud of the way our guys continue to fight ... that's no excuse for lack of execution on third downs ... it was tough on me and physically for a lot of guys." Says some guys were getting multiple IVs throughout the week .... "we got to game day and fought our butts off."

On first half woes: "Had a tough time running the ball. that's kind of been our identity. And third downs. ... We tried to get some rub routes and they just kept jumping ... and the one to Cam McDonald ... i just missed him, plain and simple ... those possessions were so precious ... we can't waste those, I can't waste those. At the end of the day we've got to put up more than 14 points to win."

"The bug kind of bit Jordan pretty bad, it was pretty dicey throughout the week he'd be available ... i always try to stay ready .... it was no different this week, I got a little more reps with the ones... I felt confident in my ability to execute."

"We've got a bunch of dogs, so I expect a dog fight. We've been in a lot of dogfights this year, so I expect nothing different ... just losing close games, maybe just approaching the details of things, criticial situations, third downs, we've just got to execute. .. we've just got to be better, it will be a lot sweeter if we're on the right side of this come this time next week."

On Miami game: "This is something you dream about as a kid, rivalry like this, a setting like this ... our team will be excited to flush this one. You have 24 hours to process it, and tomorrow you move onto Miami."

On fourth down call in fourth quarter: "I love it. As a quarterback, I want the ball in my hand in those situations. it just comes down to execution ... those rub routes ... they just did a good job of jumping ... those are man beaters, we just didn't execute ... we've got to see what we can draw up to exploit defenses in those situations. ... Those are good calls in those situations, the players, we've just got to go do it."

On TD pass to Helton: "Keyshawn Helton is a special player and a special dude." Says Helton is running a back corner fade into the left and then caught the TD in the back corner of the right ... "that's just who Keyshawn Helton is. I'll ride and die with that guy forever. I love him."

That's a wrap for Milton.
And that's a wrap for the press conferences.

We're outta here!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, they kept it interesting there in the second half, but in the end it was another L.
Florida State falls to NC State 28-14. We'll get Norvell and select players here in a few minutes.
So hang tight and stay tuned!

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News