ADVERTISEMENT

Propane Grill advice needed.

Dr. Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2002
Through the years we have gone through multiple propane grills. They basically rust out and are replaced. Doesn’t seem to matter if they are Stainless Steel or the painted black metal ones. Usually they last around 5 yrs I’d say.

I just get grills from either Lowe’s or Home Depot...we live in south Florida on a salt water canal. I’ve tried covering them but it doesn’t make a difference.

Is this a normal experience for others? Just a quick search for grills shows you can spend a few hundred to over $5000...do these really expensive ones last “forever”?

UPDATE:
Ok you Weber people...I hope you are right about these grills. Wife’s bday today and mine two days ago...we got the below Weber as bday gifts for us...gets delivered next week.
Genesis II LX S-440 (that’s sounds like the name of a car?)
00fce580-f19d-47d1-b4cf-9a4411b5c0bd_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
My dad had a Weber Genesis for 15+ years, three blocks from the beach.

Only reason he didn’t move it to the mountains is that he wanted a bigger Weber.

I’m in Atlanta and my Genesis is as good as new, purchased in 2009.

My dad had a Weber Genesis for 15+ years, three blocks from the beach.

Only reason he didn’t move it to the mountains is that he wanted a bigger Weber.

I’m in Atlanta and my Genesis is as good as new, purchased in 2009.
We had a Weber last for 25 years. 2 years into the next one...

Those with Webers....did you have to replace the grill rack or burner in that time? Just curious.
My old Weber 15 years, replaced burners and difusers once. Never replaced the grates. Bought a new one last year...

I've had one of the Weber Genesis models for almost 4 years. Only thing I've had to replace is the ignitor switch and that was just recently.

I clean mine religiously and keep it covered when not in use. They're made to last.

Reactions: dmm5157
Those with Webers....did you have to replace the grill rack or burner in that time? Just curious.
The old one I retired after 25 years had plenty of rack issues, but no problem with burners. Honestly, I was not the best at keeping it real clean which possibly would have prolonged it’s lifespan.
The old one was built... not so sure the newer one will last as long.

The old one I retired after 25 years had plenty of rack issues, but no problem with burners. Honestly, I was not the best at keeping it real clean which possibly would have prolonged it’s lifespan.
The old one was built... not so sure the newer one will last as long.
Cast iron grates? I have never had a problem with them.

I’ve not had to replace my cast iron grates, but I did have to replace the flavorizer bars around the 5 year mark. That felt fast to me, and Weber agreed. They sent me a new set for free.

Reactions: dmm5157
I’ve not had to replace my cast iron grates, but I did have to replace the flavorizer bars around the 5 year mark. That felt fast to me, and Weber agreed. They sent me a new set for free.

Really? I was under the impression the flavorizer bars needed to be replaced at the 5-6 year time frame.

My dad has a genesis and it's always had issues getting up to temp. I thought I read that was a common problem with that model. Must have worked that issue out or you all wouldn't be singing their praise.

So...the consensus here is all you need is a good rack?

Just passed the 15 year mark on the Webber. I’ve replaced a few parts over the years, but it still works well.....and i’ve treated it like shit. It refuses to die.

Genesis user here also using NG. Previous owners of our house left it when we bought the place. I haven't looked at the serial number to see how old it is but it looks like it's been around for a while and works great.

I’m going to be the guy that says don’t buy one, get charcoal/wood burning. I’ve never owned/cooked on a gas grill so I can’t help you. Good luck.

Had my genesis since about 01. Replaced the flavorizor bars and grates with stainless steel in about 07 and am on my 3rd ignitor. It's got some rust spots and I had to replace the stamped nuts that hold the lid together, but that was easy.
It still works great.

I’m going to be the guy that says don’t buy one, get charcoal/wood burning. I’ve never owned/cooked on a gas grill so I can’t help you. Good luck.
There's always gotta be one.
Much like the coffee maker thread from a while ago my propane grill purchases have been all about price. Picked up my current one for $99 on black Friday about 6 years ago and it works great. May invest a little more in one when we move, plus I would like to learn the ropes of smoker, but until then this $99 job is perfect.

There's always gotta be one.
Much like the coffee maker thread from a while ago my propane grill purchases have been all about price. Picked up my current one for $99 on black Friday about 6 years ago and it works great. May invest a little more in one when we move, plus I would like to learn the ropes of smoker, but until then this $99 job is perfect.
I warned you I was that guy. I started to learn my smoking skills on a Weber kettle grill. It’s inexpensive and you can cook on it with indirect heat very satisfactorily. I’ve graduated to Weber Ranch Kettle and can smoke a small pig, multiple briskets, butts, or racks of ribs at one time.

Thanks for the thread and responses. I am buying a grill soon and was asking myself if the Weber is worth the extra $$$. BTW, if you buy at Lowe's, they deliver and assemble for free.

My dad has a genesis and it's always had issues getting up to temp. I thought I read that was a common problem with that model. Must have worked that issue out or you all wouldn't be singing their praise.
I have a Genesis that will get to 750 degrees in no time. This is my second Weber. First one was 20yrs old. The one I have now is 7 years old. Haven't had to replace anything on either of them.

No reason not to own a gas grill other than space. I’m not going to spend an hour or more and wasting money on charcoal on some chicken breast for a Thursday night meal. But I will fire up the gas grill and toss one in immediately.

Now that I’ve going to have two decent sized decks (one halfway up and another all the way up a floor and a half staircase), one of those decks is going to be the “cooking deck” with a gas grill, a small smoker and an egg. I haven’t decided on what I’m getting precisely yet for all three, but I’m definitely getting all three.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT