ADVERTISEMENT

Protests on college campuses.

Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis

Israel is a country, protesting against it isn't racist as it's not a race.
Glad I could help.
Thanks for the help. We appreciate it. That other board worked you over pretty good, huh? How long did they ban you for? Chaps your butt, doesnt it? Well, I'm just glad your over here with us, helping us all out. Well, I digress,...please continue on this thread, as your service to this board is simply invaluable...

• Haha
Reactions: Delux247
Thanks for the help. We appreciate it. That other board worked you over pretty good, huh? How long did they ban you for? Chaps your butt, doesnt it? Well, I'm just glad your over here with us, helping us all out. Well, I digress,...please continue on this thread, as your service to this board is simply invaluable...
Thanks, as one of the OG on this board I'm always happy to see new people settle in and take ownership.
Enjoy!

Thanks, as one of the OG on this board I'm always happy to see new people settle in and take ownership.
Enjoy!
cool. You seem to be doing better after the smack down you got from the other board... Glad your here in this thread, I thought you'd be taking legal action against them to bring them to justice. But, in the end, you got neutered and walked away humbled. How long you banned for?
Anyway, carry on with your insight on the protests, as I'm sure you will be able to clear up all the misunderstandings that people have... we're depending on you.

nice try, didn't work. Try again. You can do better

Cool

cool. You seem to be doing better after the smack down you got from the other board... Glad your here in this thread, I thought you'd be taking legal action against them to bring them to justice. But, in the end, you got neutered and walked away humbled. How long you banned for?
Anyway, carry on with your insight on the protests, as I'm sure you will be able to clear up all the misunderstandings that people have... we're depending on you.

nice try, didn't work.
I appreciate your concern. Clearly we're going to become fast friends.

Reactions: Banditking
I appreciate your concern. Clearly we're going to become fast friends.
I just hated seeing that other website emasculate you they way they did... . The fact that you had to start a thread over getting banned on this website made it pretty clear how much it rankled you, especially since you were fighting for justice against systemic failure... oh, well, win some, lose some.
Oh... we've been friends, and old ones at that.
Sincerely
Your old friend,
Noletaire
PS What about those protests, huh?, please give your analysis so we can better understand it...

I just hated seeing that other website emasculate you they way they did... . The fact that you had to start a thread over getting banned on this website made it pretty clear how much it rankled you, especially since you were fighting for justice against systemic failure... oh, well, win some, lose some.
Oh... we've been friends, and old ones at that.
Sincerely
Your old friend,
Noletaire
PS What about those protests, huh?, please give your analysis so we can better understand it...
Thank you for your concern, but I'm very familiar with the ebbs and flows of moderators and how they affect boards.
Since you're such an old friend you probably remember when there were more than 6 people posting on this one!
As for protests, it's an interesting aspect of American life that we are very concerned with people's right to protest....when their interests align with our own.
But I'm sure a philosopher such as yourself is above that trap.

Fred in the house, never really left. LMFAO
Would still like to know how you get banned from a message board. What could be that serious and why cant people just have a adult discussion? Must be that whole tolerance thing I dont understand.

Reactions: noletaire
Thank you for your concern, but I'm very familiar with the ebbs and flows of moderators and how they affect boards.
Since you're such an old friend you probably remember when there were more than 6 people posting on this one!
As for protests, it's an interesting aspect of American life that we are very concerned with people's right to protest....when their interests align with our own.
Excellent analysis.

"I disagree with you say but would defend to the death your right to say it"
--Francois Arouet
So with that in mind, please share elaborate your views on the protests, and in doing so, maybe the crumbs of knowledge might fall on the floor for our consumption... please pick a side, who is right, who is wrong... determining who the bad guy is part of tolerance. All for discussion's sake here...

Last edited:
Would still like to know how you get banned from a message board. What could be that serious and why cant people just have a adult discussion? Must be that whole tolerance thing I dont understand.
I agree, imagine being an apostle of tolerance and then getting banned... wow, you could feel the seething indignance in Belem's thread... the injustice of the whole thing is just astounding. The old tolerance was: "live and let live". The new tolerance is: If you agree and support my actions, we're good. If you don't, then your intolerant.

Reactions: trunole1
"I disagree with you say but would defend to the death your right to say it"
--Francois Arouet
So with that in mind, please share elaborate your views on the protests, and in doing so, maybe the crumbs of knowledge might fall on the floor for our consumption... please pick a side, who is right, who is wrong... determining who the bad guy is part of tolerance. All for discussion's sake here...
Which side is right? Who is wrong?
The side stifling speech is wrong. But you know this, so why ask?

Reactions: BrainVision
I agree, imagine being an apostle of tolerance and then getting banned... wow, you could feel the seething indignance in Belem's thread... the injustice of the whole thing is just astounding. The old tolerance was: "live and let live". The new tolerance is: If you agree and support my actions, we're good. If you don't, then your intolerant.
It is a mystery! Glad we're on the same page!

Didn't you comment earlier that you didn't want to elaborate on an idea for fear of being banned? Clearly you know already how one might get banned.

Didn't you comment earlier that you didn't want to elaborate on an idea for fear of being banned? Clearly you know already how one might get banned.
So you were on the side of the protestors? Its not a fear. I dont care if im banned or not.

If so thats interesting that you were banned for just that.

Reactions: noletaire
Who exactly is stifling speech? Cmon, be a big boy and call it like it is..
I'm sorry, I thought such a paragon of intellect didn't need it spelled out for you.
The police on horseback running students off the sidewalks so that they could be arrested for 'protesting in the roadway' are in the wrong.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I'm on the side of speech.
But now I'm curious, if you don't care if you're banned or not why did you censor yourself?
The thread would get locked if I used the word I wanted to. I actually enjoy these discussions and dont mind the back and forth.

I'm sorry, I thought such a paragon of intellect didn't need it spelled out for you.
The police on horseback running students off the sidewalks so that they could be arrested for 'protesting in the roadway' are in the wrong.
Here is the thing. If you dont want to get arrested dont attract the attention of the police. So an easy way to avoid arrest is to not be on the sidewalk right? They couldnt go from sidewalk to grass?

no, no. You said repeatedly, "glad to help", Im just taking you up on your sincere offer. 1) Who is ordering the police? Why would they do such a thing?
2) Where do you stand on the issue? Are the protestors right in condemning Israel? Is Israel conducting a war of occupation and genocide? Is Israel conducting a defensive war in response to a terrorist attack?
In the world of tolerance, there's always an exploiter and a victim...
Who do you stand with? the protestors or Israel?

Here is the thing. If you dont want to get arrested dont attract the attention of the police. So an easy way to avoid arrest is to not be on the sidewalk right? They couldnt go from sidewalk to grass?
So free speech should be free so long as you don't attract the attention of the state.
That's certainly one position to take.

The thread would get locked if I used the word I wanted to. I actually enjoy these discussions and dont mind the back and forth.
Yep, agree. I'm cool with everything thing that's been said. Who knows, we might actually get some fruitful dialogue here...

no, no. You said repeatedly, "glad to help", Im just taking you up on your sincere offer. 1) Who is ordering the police? Why would they do such a thing?
2) Where do you stand on the issue? Are the protestors right in condemning Israel? Is Israel conducting a war of occupation and genocide? Is Israel conducting a defensive war in response to a terrorist attack?
In the world of tolerance, there's always an exploiter and a victim...
Who do you stand with? the protestors or Israel?
1. In the case I'm referring to - Texas Gov Abbott.
Why would he do such a thing? He and I don't talk, so your assumption is as valid as mine.
2. I stand on the side of speech.
Are the protestors right in condemning Israel. I'm sure some are right and some are wrong depending on what they're condemning them for.
Is Israel conducting a war of occupation and genocide? Well, certainly occupation. I'll leave genocide up to the historians.
Is Israel conducting a defensive war in response to a terrorist attack? Israel certainly responded to a terrorist attack. Is it 'defensive'? Not at this point.
I generally stand at my desk - it's one of those fancy ones.
I support the state of Israel. I don't support the current government. I support people's right to protest.
Hope you learned what you were looking for!

I got the BruinAlert about the encampment outside of Royce and Powell. It's an interesting situation, as most of those protestors do not seem to be a part of the campus community, which is similar to the situation across town at USC that escalated earlier this week.

Pro- and Anti-Israel protests have been a nearly constant presence at UCLA for as long as I have been there. The student protests take place in a different part of campus that gets a lot more foot traffic, and the speeches are typically at the designated "free speech area." UCLA students are assiduous rule followers, typically.

A lot of the recent protests that I have seen personally at UCLA, USC, Stanford, Berkeley, etc., especially the encampments, do not seem to be comprised of students. Rather, they seem to be more of the professional protester class.

I remember something similar at the University of Maryland when there were riots.

80% of the rioters weren't students.

So free speech should be free so long as you don't attract the attention of the state.
That's certainly one position to take.
Not what I said. They should be able to protest within the law. However, any time you protest you have to consider possible consequences including arrest. If you dont want to take the chance dont be there. Choices.

The police have to uphold public safety, this is inherently difficult and quite subjective. This is a problem sometimes but the police have a tough job. Again, the best way to avoid arrest is to not draw police attention.

1. In the case I'm referring to - Texas Gov Abbott.
Why would he do such a thing? He and I don't talk, so your assumption is as valid as mine.
Are the protestors right in condemning Israel. I'm sure some are right and some are wrong depending on what they're condemning them for.
Is Israel conducting a war of occupation and genocide? Well, certainly occupation. I'll leave genocide up to the historians.
Is Israel conducting a defensive war in response to a terrorist attack? Israel certainly responded to a terrorist attack. Is it 'defensive'? Not at this point.
I generally stand at my desk - it's one of those fancy ones.
I support the state of Israel. I don't support the current government. I support people's right to protest.
Hope you learned what you were looking for!
Should Israel stop after one counterattack, or should they remove the terrorists from the gene pool? This isnt as simple as a tit for tat exchange with Iran. Yes Hamas is out manned and out gunned but that should have been thought about before committing a terrorist act.

I have never seen anything approaching a riot on any of the campuses where I have worked, thankfully. I have seen almost everything else, from wildfires to floods to the chaotic aftermath of an active shooter. But no riots. I hope it stays that way.
Which active shooter event? Were there casualties? Hopefully the shooter was bagged.

You do? Even for speech that offends you, that contradicts your beliefs? a flag you might equate with hatred, that another believes is for states' right? a belief that a human with a penis is a man, a human with a vagina is woman? That trans-gender is bunk? Etc, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT