ADVERTISEMENT

Protests on college campuses.

Not what I said. They should be able to protest within the law. However, any time you protest you have to consider possible consequences including arrest. If you dont want to take the chance dont be there. Choices.

The police have to uphold public safety, this is inherently difficult and quite subjective. This is a problem sometimes but the police have a tough job. Again, the best way to avoid arrest is to not draw police attention.
I'm sure the police have tough job. Weighing political pressures with your basic humanity can be difficult.

Reactions: GeddyLee09
Should Israel stop after one counterattack, or should they remove the terrorists from the gene pool? This isnt as simple as a tit for tat exchange with Iran. Yes Hamas is out manned and out gunned but that should have been thought about before committing a terrorist act.
Israel should target the terrorists.

• Haha
Reactions: noletaire
You do? Even for speech that offends you, that contradicts your beliefs? a flag you might equate with hatred, that another believes is for states' right? a belief that a human with a penis is a man, a human with a vagina is woman? That trans-gender is bunk? Etc, etc.
I believe you should be allowed to practice speech no matter how wrong you are.

Reactions: BrainVision
Israel should target the terrorists.
Assumptions based on limited information are usually unhelpful. To your point though, based on reports did Hamas only attack military targets? But I would bet many terrorists are being targeted and possibly some with loose connections to them. Nobody is 100% right in any of this.

Assumptions based on limited information are usually unhelpful. To your point though, based on reports did Hamas only attack military targets? But I would bet many terrorists are being targeted and possibly some with loose connections to them. Nobody is 100% right in any of this.
No, Hamas targeted civilians. That's why they should be targeted themselves.

I appreciate your interest in my opinions. How about you answer some questions now?
Is a war that has killed 200x more children than terrorists being waged correctly?
A war that has destroyed, 300,000 homes, all major infrastructure, hospitals. Is that a 'defensive' war?

No, Hamas targeted civilians. That's why they should be targeted themselves.

I appreciate your interest in my opinions. How about you answer some questions now?
Is a war that has killed 200x more children than terrorists being waged correctly?
A war that has destroyed, 300,000 homes, all major infrastructure, hospitals. Is that a 'defensive' war?

Hamas uses human shields. They imbed in the Palestinian civilian population. I'm not defending either side but that's a major reason civilian casualties are so high.

Hamas uses human shields. They imbed in the Palestinian civilian population. I'm not defending either side but that's a major reason civilian casualties are so high.

Unless every Hamas fighter is constantly surrounded by 2 to 300 children, I don’t think that counts for all the deaths

Oh, I think there are solutions. But o don’t believe the leaders on either side are interested in them. And so women and children continue to get slaughtered.

Yep.

I don't think there's any solution that would realistically work. There will always be some element of the population or leadership that wants to fight so it's literally intractable.

Reactions: Banditking
Yep.

I don't think there's any solution that would realistically work. There will always be some element of the population or leadership that wants to fight so it's literally intractable.
There will always be conflict in the region, but there doesn’t have to be mass killing in the region. But it will continue until the current leadership is gone.

There will always be conflict in the region, but there doesn’t have to be mass killing in the region. But it will continue until the current leadership is gone.

Between the Israelis and the Palestinians there will always be conflict because there's no solution that will work, IMO.

Both sides are entrenched and will not stop fighting.

Between the Israelis and the Palestinians there will always be conflict because there's no solution that will work, IMO.

Both sides are entrenched and will not stop fighting.
Regular people don’t want daily conflict. Only the people who benefit from it do.

Iran is the primary driver of the conflict right now. They’ve surrounded Israel with proxies. What would stop this, in my opinion, is Israel directly going at Iran. Would also escalate it. Volatile situation. But they’re the primary had actor. The Palestinians are pawns.

Iran is the primary driver of the conflict right now. They’ve surrounded Israel with proxies. What would stop this, in my opinion, is Israel directly going at Iran. Would also escalate it. Volatile situation. But they’re the primary had actor. The Palestinians are pawns.
Hamas fund raises money on the suffering of the Palestinian people by gathering money from proxies like Iran and others. Netanyahu uses the suffering of his and the Palestinian people to stay in power and out of jail.

Hamas fund raises money on the suffering of the Palestinian people by gathering money from proxies like Iran and others. Netanyahu uses the suffering of his and the Palestinian people to stay in power and out of jail.
Sure. But, ultimately what you have is Israel surrounded by severely anti semitic cultures who will not integrate or tolerate its existence.

72% of the Palestinians support Hamas according to the poll I linked.

"The PCPSR found that, compared to pre-war polling, support for Hamas had risen in Gaza and more than tripled in the West Bank, which has seen the highest levels in violence in years, with repeated deadly clashes between Israeli troops and settlers and Palestinians.

Fifty-two percent of Gazans and 85% of West Bank respondents - or 72% of Palestinian respondents overall - voiced satisfaction with the role of Hamas in the war."

Reactions: BrianNole777
Sure. But, ultimately what you have is Israel surrounded by severely anti semitic cultures who will not integrate or tolerate its existence.
Jews and Muslims live together in those countries for centuries it wasn’t until the heavy-handed and poorly executed creation of Israel that things became so hostile. Of course there’s a long history of making nations in that region by the brits and other colonizers who took no account of the people who actually lived there.

Just received another BruinAlert:
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2024 12:26 PM
Subject: BruinALERT: Campus Activity Updates (Friday, April 26th)

BruinALERT: The encampment demonstration that formed early yesterday morning (Thursday, April 25) remains in Royce Quad today.

To date, the activity has been mostly peaceful. We continue to actively monitor this situation to support a safe and peaceful campus environment that respects our entire community’s right to free expression while minimizing disruption to our teaching and learning mission.

At this time, the same access restrictions to Royce Hall and Powell Library remain in place and students should be prepared to show their Bruin Card for entry into these buildings. While in the area, you may also hear helicopter activity that is associated with the news media covering the demonstration.

For more information about emergencies at UCLA, please visit https://bso.ucla.edu/.

Do you think Jewish students and faculty feel threatened on campus?

Jews and Muslims live together in those countries for centuries it wasn’t until the heavy-handed and poorly executed creation of Israel that things became so hostile. Of course there’s a long history of making nations in that region by the brits and other colonizers who took no account of the people who actually lived there.
You have one group of Muslims who think the descendants of Muhammad should rule and another that think the descendants of his warlords should rule. They hate each other and they both hate Israel. Ottoman empire was the major “colonizer” in the area. The Ottoman Empire fell. We are still dealing with its remnants. These aren’t civilized societies.

Last edited:
Do you think Jewish students and faculty feel threatened on campus?
They do at Columbia. I have Jewish friends with children there currently. At least, they were there. They’re home now. It’s a total sh!t show and completely unnecessary. The president there being Egyptian is…. Interesting.

Last edited:
Very true. It surprises me that many don’t realize what was going on in the 60’s and ‘70’s, even on FSU’s campus.

I had a good friend that was president of the Arab Student Union here on campus back in the ‘70’s. Egypt and Israel had a couple of wars, plus we had Vietnam.

The protests happening today are nothing by comparison.

Very true. It surprises me that many don’t realize what was going on in the 60’s and ‘70’s, even on FSU’s campus.

I had a good friend that was president of the Arab Student Union here on campus back in the ‘70’s. Egypt and Israel had a couple of wars, plus we had Vietnam.

Not surprising given that we still had the draft.

We’ve rebooted over the last several years 1960s style civil unrest and protest culture because … well, someone thought it politically useful I guess.

Not surprising given that we still had the draft.

We’ve rebooted over the last several years 1960s style civil unrest and protest culture because … well, someone thought it politically useful I guess.
I disagree. Protest has been around for ages. How do you think that women got the right to vote?

What about the protests prior to the Civil War?

There are many instances.

Anyone seeing them?

@BrainVision I saw UCLA has an "encampment."

Saw one at Dartmouth a couple evenings ago. About 100-150 people standing in a circle, while some people in the middle led cheers. Kinda like a pep rally for the football team. Of course the president had two students in a tent arrested for trespassing a couple months ago. So that might have dampened their enthusiasm? Wall Street not looking positive on protestors these days you know...........

Reactions: BrianNole777
I disagree. Protest has been around for ages. How do you think that women got the right to vote?

What about the protests prior to the Civil War?

There are many instances.
I didn’t say anything about protests not existing. I said that we’ve ramped up 1960s style protest culture and I suggested a central driver. These aren’t spontaneous events. I think that’s a fair statement in the wake of the rampaging we saw across 25 cities in the dem fueled post George Floyd riots/protests. Of course, these sorts of organized and fanned protests are not new. See Occupy Wall Street. It is clearly a badge of honor amongst a certain class of dem to get arrested for protesting (see Joe Biden lying about his arrest during a civil rights protest recently). Or, January 6th. All the same type of stuff.

It really does catch hold well on college campuses. Frontal lobes aren’t fully developed and it’s peak activist time.

Last edited:

Yes. There has been a lot of Palestinian/Arab activity in the late 1960s through the 1980s.

Arab/Palestinian wars against Israel: 1948/1957/1967/1973:

Palestinian attack kills 13 Israeli Athletes at 1972 Olympics in Munich;

Airplane Hijackings Started in the 1960s
A major one in 1968, but there was more to go.
Dawson Field Hijacking 1970- 4 airliners heading to NYC were hijacked and forced to land in Jordan-Jews and adult American men were separated from the rest. Held as hostages, they were released unharmed, but it started major regional conflicts in Jordan and its neighbors. Many of our current security measures started here.
1976 Entebbe-256 Passengers. They let the non-Jewish and non-Israeli passengers go. Israel flew in helicopters and saved the remaining hostages and destroyed a bunch of Russian MIGS
They continued into the 1980s with a major one in 1985 where 60 people were killed. And of course 9/11 which wasn't Palestinians, but Islamacist updating an old strategy.

Assassination of American Politicians
1968 Assassination of Robert Kennedy after winning the California Primary and becoming the presumptive Democratic candidate of President.

Suicide Bombers
During a 3 year period in the mid 1990s there was over 100 suicide bombers sent into Israel (mostly strapped to teenagers). In the early 2000s you had a suicide bomber hit a NighClub in Tel Aviv. And then a mall in Netanya. Next a market in Hadera. And then back to a mall in Netanya. Israel then killed or arrested Hamas leaders and the rapidity of the suicide bombers subsided.

But, a new strategy was made a priority. Developing missiles and creating tunnels (500 KM worth). Since 2010 more than 12,000 missiles were fired into Israel by Palestinians.

These attacks should be in no way considered a comprehensive list of Arab/Palestinian anti-Israel activity.

Do with this as you must, but don't pretend there is any chance of Palestinian/Arab stopping the killing of Jews and attempting to destroy Israel.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcherod
I'll give the Stinkin' Gators their due--they've publicly said students who don't follow the guidelines they are given will be arrested for trespassing and banned from the campus for 3 years; faculty and staff who violate any of it will be terminated.

Hard for me to say this, but...GO GATORS!

I'll give the Stinkin' Gators their due--they've publicly said students who don't follow the guidelines they are given will be arrested for trespassing and banned from the campus for 3 years; faculty and staff who violate any of it will be terminated.

Hard for me to say this, but...GO GATORS!
Rightfully so. Might reduce some of the skew around political speech on campus if they stop allowing intimidation tactics. I can’t believe what they’ve done at Columbia. So bad.

Rightfully so. Might reduce some of the skew around political speech on campus if they stop allowing intimidation tactics. I can’t believe what they’ve done at Columbia. So bad.
The problem is that "free" speech has had a varying degree of enforcement on campuses. I'm not a conservative, but many conservative voices were censored from speaking on campus while extreme progressive voices encouraged.

The "micro-aggressions" pretend theory took hold about 15 years ago and mucked up the situation too. When actual historical facts can't be mentioned in classes without professors being censored you know you have lost your way.

Anyone seeing them?

@BrainVision I saw UCLA has an "encampment."

Protests on campus recently seem almost quaint compared to those that went on when I was a kid.
Kids were killed by National Guard troops.
Protesters at the Democratic Convention were trampled by horse riding police.

People calling for protesters to be dragged off campus and arrested give me the creeps.

Protests on campus recently seem almost quaint compared to those that went on when I was a kid.

People calling for protesters to be dragged off campus and arrested give me the creeps.
Protestors chanting antisemitic death threats, scaring 18-22 year old girls so much they have to go home, give me the creeps.

Yes. There has been a lot of Palestinian/Arab activity in the late 1960s through the 1980s.

Arab/Palestinian wars against Israel: 1948/1957/1967/1973:

Palestinian attack kills 13 Israeli Athletes at 1972 Olympics in Munich;

Airplane Hijackings Started in the 1960s
A major one in 1968, but there was more to go.
Dawson Field Hijacking 1970- 4 airliners heading to NYC were hijacked and forced to land in Jordan-Jews and adult American men were separated from the rest. Held as hostages, they were released unharmed, but it started major regional conflicts in Jordan and its neighbors. Many of our current security measures started here.
1976 Entebbe-256 Passengers. They let the non-Jewish and non-Israeli passengers go. Israel flew in helicopters and saved the remaining hostages and destroyed a bunch of Russian MIGS
They continued into the 1980s with a major one in 1985 where 60 people were killed. And of course 9/11 which wasn't Palestinians, but Islamacist updating an old strategy.

Assassination of American Politicians
1968 Assassination of Robert Kennedy after winning the California Primary and becoming the presumptive Democratic candidate of President.

Suicide Bombers
During a 3 year period in the mid 1990s there was over 100 suicide bombers sent into Israel (mostly strapped to teenagers). In the early 2000s you had a suicide bomber hit a NighClub in Tel Aviv. And then a mall in Netanya. Next a market in Hadera. And then back to a mall in Netanya. Israel then killed or arrested Hamas leaders and the rapidity of the suicide bombers subsided.

But, a new strategy was made a priority. Developing missiles and creating tunnels (500 KM worth). Since 2010 more than 12,000 missiles were fired into Israel by Palestinians.

These attacks should be in no way considered a comprehensive list of Arab/Palestinian anti-Israel activity.

Do with this as you must, but don't pretend there is any chance of Palestinian/Arab stopping the killing of Jews and attempting to destroy Israel.

There are photos from several campuses last week with police snipers on rooftops. We’ll be lucky if there isn’t a repeat of those 60s incidents.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT