ADVERTISEMENT

Question about AirBnb

Cubs79

Contributor
Jan 4, 2014
Does anyone have experience with this? Beach towns in Florida might be a different issue to a degree. But, I live in Nashville, in a popular inner city type neighborhood. There is a family filing a lawsuit against the city, because they own a home, in an inner city popular neighborhood, that they want to rent out as a vacation home, because they want to move back to Chicago, and cant afford a home in both towns. I know Florida and beach towns might be different in some regards, but would this be cool to people? If they win, then basically any in Nashville can be bought up by investors, and basically considered single family hotels. Would you be good with this in your neighborhood? I am honestly asking. Nashville is booming, where I live (actual house, not investment or part time property) could be affected by this. I dont think it should be allowed, but I want to hear other peoples thoughts. Cities are great and made with neighborhoods, and a tourist are secondary to that yes? Making tourism more important than actual neighborhoods, is not a good thing right? OR am I out of line with my thinking?

I'd be fine with it.

They're not single family hotels. That's a gross mischaracterization of what Air BnB does.

And that family who wants to move to Chicago should just rent their house out like any normal person would/should. Air BnB isn't the solution to their problem.

I went on an European trip in August and used Airbnb for four different cities (Rome and Florence in Italy / Blois (mid-size town in Loire valley area) and Paris in France. It's amazing how quickly it's caught on over there. Out of all four spots, I only met the actual owner of the apartment once (Paris). The rest used property management companies now to run the whole thing, even in a smallish city like Blois.

We own vacation rentals in the Keys...most of the keys would die without vacation rentals and tourists, but I definitely would not want to live next door to one. We do our best to screen our renters, and are not afraid to turn people down (no spring breakers, no people from a 786/305 area code). Over 10 years or so we have only had a few problems.

I stayed in a home on AirBnB for the Boston College game and enjoyed it. That being said, no, I wouldn't want it where I live.

I've used it 3 times now, and it's been a great exchange, I would love to have my condo in Ybor as an airbnb but the HOA won't approve it. The value there is that it would still be available to me if I chose to use it, but could make a little money to help cover expenses.

I could see this being an issue. Neighborhood homes being bought just so they could be used as a motel. I would not like that either if I had kids etc.

I do like Airbnb though. I haven't used the service yet, but I have looked at doing a few times. At some point I will use.

I personally feel that if I want to rent my home, then I should be able to rent my home. When government starts controlling what we do with our own personal property, we have an issue

I personally feel that if I want to rent my home, then I should be able to rent my home. When government starts controlling what we do with our own personal property, we have an issue

I wouldn't want the government to get involved either. I would think it would be a home owner situation, similar to what Free mentioned.

We own vacation rentals in the Keys...most of the keys would die without vacation rentals and tourists, but I definitely would not want to live next door to one. We do our best to screen our renters, and are not afraid to turn people down (no spring breakers, no people from a 786/305 area code). Over 10 years or so we have only had a few problems.

That is the difference though. I realize, In vacation beach spots, it is a different thing. But, if they win their lawsuit, it is all over the city. And Nashville is touristy by all means, but it is also a city where people live and work and raise families, and their lawsuit opens it up to being a complete vacation city, which it is not.

I have no issue with AirBnB or the like, I am talking about making popular neighborhoods, where people live, work, kids go to school, where it is just a vacation home, and rental year round.

Where's your place at? We are always looking a places in the Keys, specifically Key West. May go next summer for a couple weeks. You can send a link to my screen name at the gee mail if you prefer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT