ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the soccer fans

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
Did you become a fan of the sport by playing the game? If so-- when did you play and for how long?

I'm a big soccer fan and played some as a kid but my love for the game really started happening during the 2006 world cup. Now my son is on a team and I am helper (can't really call me a coach).

Just curious about how you became a fan of the beautiful game...

Thanks

No, my love of the game started during the 2009 Confederation Cup when we beat Spain to play Brazil in the final and then further confirmed in the world cup the next year. I started following MLS and EPL after that. Orlando finally getting an MLS team this year has me very excited.

Never played.

Was a World Cup nut starting in 1998 France.

Finally got into club teams during arsenal's run to the 2006 champions league final.

I started playing the game when I was 8 years old (1978) and played in Manchester, NH's first "little league" soccer league.

Back in the day, we were able to watch games on TV-PBS via the "Soccer Made in Germany" game of the week, all though I never really seemed to get into it.

I took a sports writing class my freshman year in high school (1984), and I would have the Sunday Boston Globe delivered to my house. The Sunday Globe sports section was huge and had some of the best columnists and beat writers in the country, and they had a weekly half page column on soccer, mostly world soccer, as soccer in the US was non-existent at the time.

I would read the column and start to recognize some of the names that would appear on a weekly basis, names like Diego Maradona, Michel Platini (who led Euro '84 with 9 goals, the 2nd highest scorer had 3 goals) and 3 of the greatest soccer players to play the game-George Best, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff, who were at the end of their careers and were receiving a lot of print in the soccer column.

The soccer page also listed the tables (standings) for some of Europe's top domestic leagues, so I would look at them, not having a clue as to who/what I was following, so in 1984, I started following Manchester United in England's First Division, basically because I was born and raised in Manchester, NH. MUFC finished 4th that year, but won the FA Cup, so United was given some extra print because of the FA Cup win.

That is how I became a fan of Manchester United and if Manchester City were in the First Division, and not the Second Division, there's a very good chance that I would have followed City, and I would not be a huge fan of soccer that I am today, because United really started to take off in terms of being a world elite team at about that time, to coincide with the arrival of Alex Ferguson. If I had followed Manchester City, I might not have followed the game as much, because United started winning the English First Division and were playing in tournaments like the European Cup Winners Cup, and Champions League (or the whatever these Cups were named at the time), if I followed City, I would not have followed the Cups that United were in and City was not. At that time and because of the various Cups, I was able to follow other Euro domestic leagues because of teams like AC Milan, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Porto and Juventus.

I was already a United fan, and had grown to understand the various domestic and Euro Cups by 1990 or so, but the 1986 World Cup was huge for me, as I was able to visualize world soccer on TV, as Diego Maradona grabbed the world's attention, and when the World Cup came to the states in 1994, I was able to catch the three games here in Foxborough, MA, and I was at the last game that Maradona played for the Albicelestes, before he was banned from the World Cup and international play for another failed drug test.The Gabriel Batistuta hat trick against Greece and the Claudio Caniggia brace against Nigeria, along with Maradona's last national goal against Greece (and appearance, I believe), perhaps made those trio of players my favorite all-time trio of players to be on the same pitch, on the same team, at the same time.

I have followed Argentina since roughly 1986, and I am always telling people that I do not follow La Seleccion because of Lionel Messi, I follow Argentina because of Claudio Caniggia, Gabriel Batistuta and of course, Diego Maradona (Diego Simeone also played on that 1994 Argentine team).

Now that I believe that I am a fan of world soccer (it's 1999), and I am not sure when, but ESPN/ESPN2 started televising the Champions League, and the internet was starting to prove as a useful resource to follow teams and leagues. Again, it's 1999, and I am able to follow the EPL on the internet, but I can't watch any games live (I watched a ton of MUFC games/highlight reels on the internet that weren't live, and I was only able to get the scores after the match was done, so I would watch what I could before I looked up the final score). MUFC went their last 20 games without a loss in that 1998-99 season and edged Arsenal by one point to win England (can you imagine today that a team does not lose a game in their final 20 games, and still have to scrape and crawl their way out of 2nd place and hope for results against Arsenal?).

It's April 1999 or so, and I am starting to read more and more about this Treble. I have researched this Treble and understand it, but I do not have a clue what the significance of the Treble is. Six days after winning England (on Judgement Day), Man United beats the Bar Codes to win the FA Cup, the world's oldest and possibly the world's most historical domestic league cup. Step two of this Treble has been completed and the internet is really starting to buzz!

Four days after winning the FA Cup, and 10 days after winning England, Alex Ferguson's name is gone, deleted, retired, dead...... and Sir Alex Ferguson is born. The Champions League final is set and Bayern scores first, and holds that lead and controls most of the remaining minutes of the game, including hitting the wood 2 or 3 times and were unlucky because of a couple of great saves by Peter Schmeichel. There are roughly 3-4 minutes left to play in regulation time when Champions League officials start to carry the Cup down from the executive's box to the pitch, and the Cup is decorated with Bayern Munich colors and flavors!

*Can Manchester United score? They always score* pleads Martin Tyler from inside my television set. The rest is Treble [/I]history. Stoppage/injury/extra time goals by Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer deliver the Champions League trophy to Manchester United. Those 3 minutes and two stoppage/injury/extra time goals were the most jubilant moments I have ever had in my lifetime, and you can add up all of my other most jubilant moments together (in terms of watching sports) and it still does not come close to those final three minutes I watched that Wednesday afternoon from Barcelona.

I didn't understand the significance of the Treble [/I]at the time, but I sure as hell understand it now, and if United didn't play subs and kids, who knows, maybe they could have picked up a fourth trophy with the League Cup (they lost in the quarterfinals that year). Even though the Treble [/I]has been won in recent years by Bayern Munich, Inter Milan and Barcelona in their domestic leagues, the acknowledgement of winning the only Treble [/I]in English history is huge and it is the measuring stick for all English teams (Liverpool won the Cup Treble in 2001 when they won the League Cup, FA Cup and the Champions League, but they missed out on one of the big prizes, the Premier League, where they finished 3rd third, 1 point behind 2nd place Arsenal and 11 points behind league winners, MUFC).

Sorry if this was long, but this is just a fraction of how I became a soccer fan, and today, not only do I have to explain that I am a fan of Argentina fan because of Claudio Caniggia, Diego Maradona and Gabriel Batistuta and not because of Lionel Messi, I also have to explain why I am a fan of Manchester United, because many people think I jumped on bandwagon of the title runs in the 1990's, or I jumped on the Cristiano Ronaldo bandwagon, or the Rooney bandwagon. Nope, I jumped on the Sunday Boston Globe sports section of 1984 bandwagon!

The internet and number of games, leagues, teams, cups.....that are on TV has only heightened by love for the sport as we are able to follow anything that involves kicking a ball (The African Cup of Nations is being DVR'd in my house, and I probably won't watch much of it, but I need to DVR the games just in case I do miss something).

Also, another blessing is the time difference between Europe and here on the east coast. There is nothing better than at 7:00 AM, on a Saturday morning, grabbing an English muffin, a large coffee from Dunkin' Donuts and then watching 6-7 hours of footie, even before a lot of people have started their day off, and how great is it to get out of work on a Wednesday afternoon and tuning into a Nottingham Forest/Sheffield Wednesday match.

I mean, does it get any better than watching a team that is being relegated to the Championship Division (Wigan), beating the Premier League champions and a club owned by oil billionaires (Manchester City), in the world's oldest and most historic tournament? It's not every day that you see the Durham Bulls beat the New York Yankees for a championship!!!!

Wow, that was longer than I thought. Sorry, guys, all though long, my passion for the game just started flowing as I was typing.

Played a few years as a kid, and always enjoyed playing pickup games and IMs, but never really followed outside of World Cups, although I was always huge into World Cups ever since 1994 when I was on a family trip to New Orleans and saw how crazy Brazilian fans were. Followed alot of US players, and then randomly back in 2007, when EPL games were on tv more, I starting watching and picked a team. I didn't want ManU because everyone I knew that followed soccer was a fan of their's and I didn't want to follow the crowd. Chelsea was on tv a good bit and a couple actors I like (Michael Caine and Jonny Lee Miller) were supporters. I picked them and rarely miss a match.

Originally posted by kc78:
No, my love of the game started during the 2009 Confederation Cup when we beat Spain to play Brazil in the final and then further confirmed in the world cup the next year. I started following MLS and EPL after that. Orlando finally getting an MLS team this year has me very excited.

MLS fan as well. I'm glad Atlanta is getting a team..,, Orlando too. I'm glad my kid plays soccer as opposed to football.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Played a bit as a kid in the late 70s when it was popular but didn't stick with it. Didnt really get into it until a few years ago as my son progressed from rec into competitive. Love watching his games and we love watching Premier League games on weekend mornings. We go to as many MLS games as we can. Now I prefer it to any othe sport except FSU football.

Originally posted by Formerly Rockymtnole:
Played a bit as a kid in the late 70s when it was popular but didn't stick with it. Didnt really get into it until a few years ago as my son progressed from rec into competitive. Love watching his games and we love watching Premier League games on weekend mornings. We go to as many MLS games as we can. Now I prefer it to any othe sport except FSU football.
Where do you live/what team do you follow?

Originally posted by Manch.:

Where do you live/what team do you follow?
Colorado Rapids

Colorado Rapids
I think that you might be the only Rapids fan that I know of.

I've watched more of the MLS over the past couple of seasons, as it seems that they are bringing in more quality players, all though some might might be past their primes, but not that faded that it keeps fans like me away. If I had a chance to watch Middlesbrough v Bournemouth or LA and NE in the MLS Cup finals, I'd probably watch the English game.

Like Gwinnett above, I'm truly gassed about having an MLS team here in the ATL in a few years, despite the fact Arthur Blank is the owner. I've already reserved 4 season tickets for the opening season, and can't wait.

Me, I never played the game. As a lad, there used to be English highlights every Sunday in Tampa prior to NFL games, and that was my only exposure to it back then. I always liked something about The Arsenal's old unis, and stuck with them through the years. Then, when my sons started playing and moving up to travel teams, I took some state coaching license seminars to improve my knowledge of the game itself, and from there began watching it more on the tube. This was about the time of "The Invincibles", and ever since I've followed it closely.

Simply love footie--only college football gets me more.

Ed, on a scale of 1-100, college football was at 100 and soccer was probably a 70 for me, most of it due to playing for almost 30 years, but once the internet kicked in and I was able to start watching the EPL, soccer jumped to 90, and then Champions League, and now we're at 100, throw in the Cups--FA, League, World--and now we're talking 150. I'll even watch Liverpool (the UF of EUFA) just to watch them lose.

That's why Saturday's are so great, footie starting at 7:00 AM and then the 1:00 PM game ends and the top, big college football games come on at 3:30 PM, and of course there's satellite radio to listen to the televised footie games if I'm on the road.

Colorado Rapids
I think that you might be the only Rapids fan that I know of.

I've watched more of the MLS over the past couple of seasons, as it seems that they are bringing in more quality players, all though some might might be past their primes, but not that faded that it keeps fans like me away. If I had a chance to watch Middlesbrough v Bournemouth or LA and NE in the MLS Cup finals, I'd probably watch the English game.
Yeah, the MLS product isn't there yet, but it's a great atmosphere, great evening weather in Denver, and for now the best the US has to offer.

One other thing I love about soccer is the commentators are ready and willing to call out players and teams for poor play. One article on Arsenal's win this weekend spoke of the Arsenal defense opening like a set of creaky double doors... Awesome. Most of the hosts and guests on Sirius XM FC are blunt like this. They'll call out work rate, say a player is simply too old or lazy or a head case. I love the honesty.

The footie talk shows on Sirius are great, and the fan call ins are some of the best that I've ever heard, by far some of the most entertaining stuff that Sirius has to offer.

Wow, that was longer than I thought. Sorry, guys, all though long, my passion for the game just started flowing as I was typing.
Ahhh, Soccer Made In Germany with Toby Charles. "and it's a GOOOOALLLL!" I always enjoyed watching and listening to Toby.

Played football through childhood and high school. Then intramurals at FSU!
smile.r191677.gif

Reaquanted myself with watching as I became more and more a Thiery Henry fan. Great footballer that deserves even more accolades than he gets. I'm Arsenal till I die!

Since we are talking about soccer fandom here is a article from someone regarding the popularity of the sport among the US youth. Full link below. On another note, I've done a lot of research on the safety in football and I certainly do not look at the sport the way I did 10-15-20 years ago. I'm not pitting football vs soccer but it ironic that my interest in soccer has skyrocketed during the same time I've done research on how damaging playing the game of football is.... not only to one's body but also their mind because of the constant subconcussive hits to the head- just by the very nature of how football is played.

Anyway, below is a snippet of the article...

Youth soccer has PRRI/Religion News Survey shows that participation in youth sports varies dramatically by age. Young adults (age 18 to 29) are 10 times more likely than seniors (age 65+) to have grown up playing soccer (22 percent vs. 2 percent). Young people are also more than twice as likely to have played youth soccer than peewee football (22 percent vs. 8 percent).

Of course, soccer's competitive advantage in attracting young athletes does not necessarily mean it is destined to surpass football in popularity. But youth sports can create lifelong fans: Americans who grew up playing soccer are more likely to have a greater appreciation for the sport and often serve as its most ardent fans. At the average MLS game, seats are often filled with former and current soccer players.

There is no doubt that football remains the undisputed leader of U.S. sports, by every measure. Forty percent of the public says football is their favorite sport to watch, making it roughly four times more popular than any other sport. Even so, the dominance of football in American culture should not be taken for granted

Soccer Popularity Tied to Youth

As I was viewing the 2nd leg of the Capital One Cup today between my favorite side, Chelsea, and Liverpool, something occurred to me...Big time Euro soccer has no equivalent for its uniqueness and what's required from a stamina standpoint than any sport on the planet.

For an analogy, I'm going to take Florida State football and Chelsea (my favorite teams in each sport). Now if you're Chelsea...or any other English Primer League team...your primary goal each season is to win that league by finishing upon the top of the standings. Meanwhile, during mid week, you're playing in other competitions which include your EPL peers as well as teams from lower divisions. This would be like if FSU was playing say a Western Michigan (non power 5 conference bowl team) on a Tuesday/Wednesday in between conference games. Not only is there one such tournament, but two (Capital One & F.A. Cup), and your manager/coach has to decide how much capital (pun intended) he's going to place into these midweek games as he doesn't want to wear his side out during the pursuit of the league title.

Meanwhile, this mid week game means everything for WMU as the Broncos get a shot to beat one of college football's big boys, even though the latter is sitting out many starters because the Clemson game is coming up Saturday.

In addition to all of this, you play for the national championship (equivalent of the UEFA league) in games mid week every now and then during the season based on how highly you finished in your conference the previous season. So as you're concentrating on winning the ACC this season, suddenly you have to play an aggregate home-and-home mid week vs. say a Michigan State in the national title quarterfinals.

This is crazy, but this is what I see my Blues going through in their pursuit to capture as many of the four pieces of hardware available. They already bowed out of the F.A Cup competition with their "B team" over the weekend to a lower league Bradford side in an embarrassing defeat last Saturday. Now today, we blow our load in the second leg of the Capital One Cup semifinal to advance vs. Liverpool. Meanwhile, two of our starters leave due to injury in a grueling 120-minute match as a huge league game looms versus 2nd-place Man City Saturday.

It's a good problem to have, but could you imagine this happening with your favorite teams in other sports? Think about the decisions your coach/manager would have to make while the allure off all these different pieces of silverware await. This makes Euro (and English, in particular, with 4 championships to play for) soccer unique and more demanding than any other sport.

This post was edited on 1/27 6:33 PM by NoleLizards

The first soccer game I went to was Liverpool vs Coventry City at Anfield in the early 90s. We were a midtable team. Scum won the league that year. That was when I became a Liverpool supporter.

I tend to view a lot of American 'soccer' fans as pretty much fair weather, although I have massive amounts of respect for those who don't 'randomly' pick to support a club like the chavs or Barca etc. A lot of them I come to find out how little they know about the sport, history, and the club they claim to support. They are pretty much as worse as SEC fans, but kind of opposite in ways if that makes sense. I also find supporters of the mens national team to be dorks. They try way to hard. Reminds me kind of like the Cameron Crazies. They actually have times to get together to practice singing songs for match day. What a joke. With that said this past world cup was the first time I rooted for USA in a long long time. Really likeable team. In addition, I think the coverage of the prem on NBC sports is amazing and even better that what you'll see in Europe. It will really do a lot of good down the road. It's kind like the glory time of watching the sport now.

Played as a kid in the mid 80's and then watched the US play in the 1990 World Cup. Pretty much been a national team fan since then. I started watching the EPL and Champion's League in the late 90's and follow the Dynamo's in MLS. The closest I've been to a big game was a WC qualifier in Kansas City against Costa Rica (US 1-0) in 2001.

When I went to Gillette Stadium to see United take on the NE Revolution as part of United's preseason US tour in July of 2011, there were about 55,000 fans there, and about 80% were United fans. The other 20% were Revolution and MLS fans, mostly an adult with 3-4 kids with them, and were probably Revs season tix holders. The adult fans were pretty clueless on how the game was played and operated in Europe, in terms of the various cups, relegation, so I spent a lot if time educating some of the adults on the European flavor of the game, and most of the kids were happy because Wayne Rooney was there.

I shit you not on this next part, and maybe some of you guys who grew up playing football and PlayStation can confirm this.

My brother hated soccer, but he plays a ton of Xbox/PlayStation sports games, and he borrowed FIFA 14' from a friend, and is now a fan of the game, so besides watching matches on TV, I've heard from a lot of people that they have started following the game, or the at least have a team they will watch because of the FIFA video games. It's crazy.

Nice to see Chelsea hang on to beat Liverpool. Now, in just about every other comp., the game never would have went to OT, but the League Cup does not use away goals as a tiebreaker, until after OT is played, and not before the OT is played at the end of regulation like most other cups.

NL, I think Chelsea played 66 matches last year, and that is one reason that I think the fizzled at the end, they were just too tired. Liverpool, might have over achieved because of their lack of Euro schedule, but City's talent finally held up, as City got a rough CL draw and were out early, enabling them to stay somewhat fresh for the BPL stretch.

My brother hated soccer, but he plays a ton of Xbox/PlayStation sports games, and he borrowed FIFA 14' from a friend, and is now a fan of the game, so besides watching matches on TV, I've heard from a lot of people that they have started following the game, or the at least have a team they will watch because of the FIFA video games. It's crazy.
We got my son FIFA '15 for Christmas. Its a great video game.
I've heard the same thing about fans becoming a fan of the sport because of the video game.

Originally posted by GwinnettNole:

We got my son FIFA '15 for Christmas. Its a great video game.
I've heard the same thing about fans becoming a fan of the sport because of the video game.
Yeah, my son loves the FIFA game. However, he's not really a fan of a particular club or team, but moreso a fan of individual players and styles. He plays U11/12 and is primarily a winger (with some time at forward or ACM) so his three favorites now are Alexis Sanchez, Hazard and Neymar. He really watches the games to learn rather than to root for a particular outcome. He has also told me that the FIFA games help him think more about movement off the ball and positioning when he's playing and practicing for real. I tend to believe him but he could be just BSing me to squeeze in another 15 minutes of video games...

Not going to lie, I love watching the USMNT much more than any club, and try not to miss many matches (friendly or otherwise). I grew up playing, and play a couple times a week in an adult coed league now. Just never could get into the Euro leagues mainly because there's TOO much going on. Haven't truly been able to get into the MLS without a local team, but I'm going to try and keep up with Orlando City and see if it'll stick.

I didn't play soccer growing up but one of my best friends played soccer up to college, and I became a fan because of him via the FIFA game. I believe it was about 1999, I was about 15, Arsenal was the first team available to pick, so I chose them. Henry was awesome, the team was good. Eventually, I became curious about what these players were like in real life. The rest, as they say, is history.

Originally posted by GwinnettNole:
Did you become a fan of the sport by playing the game? If so-- when did you play and for how long?

I'm a big soccer fan and played some as a kid but my love for the game really started happening during the 2006 world cup. Now my son is on a team and I am helper (can't really call me a coach).

Just curious about how you became a fan of the beautiful game...

Thanks

Play from 6 year old through college. Lucky enough to be trained by a Polish International that was on a World Cup team in the late 80s. I love both versions of football since my father is a former QB. Been a United fan since David graced the pitch and a Dynamo fan since I grew up in Houston.

I enjoy watching the EPL simply because the football is better quality than I see in the MLS and there's good parity in that league compared to some others out there like La Liga. However, no matter how hard I have tried to attach an allegiance to an EPL team, I just can't. I have no connection to any of those teams other than through a player or two who happen to play for the US. I can't attach an allegiance to a team for just a player either, so I wind up watching the MLS more just to watch the sport, but I don't get too interested as I have no allegiance. The only thing I do know is that I hate ManU, but that's primarily because I think they're partially responsible for the decline of the Bucs football team and they're also the Yankees of soccer. I can't pull for a team that everybody else in the world roots for.

I have a mild attachment to Chelsea, but that's primarily because the first game I remember watching and truly enjoying was between them and ManU and I kind of just latched on. It didn't hurt that they were really good. But honestly, I couldn't really care less if they win or lose. If I could find a reason to get attached to an EPL team that may help me enjoy watching that league more, but so far I've found nothing.

Chelsea and Citeh would be better comparisons to the Yankees than United; big spending owners who'll break the bank to get the players they want. If you want to hate ManUre (which I heartily recommend) focus on Ol' Whiskey Nose, their former coach, who was the equivalent of Spurrier and Coach K rolled into one.

Come over the The Arsenal, and watch us under-achieve, year after year after year.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Chelsea and Citeh would be better comparisons to the Yankees than United; big spending owners who'll break the bank to get the players they want. If you want to hate ManUre (which I heartily recommend) focus on Ol' Whiskey Nose, their former coach, who was the equivalent of Spurrier and Coach K rolled into one.

Come over the The Arsenal, and watch us under-achieve, year after year after year.
Well said, and say what you want about SAF, but his 25 year run will go unmatched, and he had a lot of home grown players during that stretch, especially the "you wan't win with kids" group (Scholes, Neville, Nicky Butt and Beckham-1995-96 team that won the double).

Originally posted by kc78:
I enjoy watching the EPL simply because the football is better quality than I see in the MLS and there's good parity in that league compared to some others out there like La Liga. However, no matter how hard I have tried to attach an allegiance to an EPL team, I just can't. I have no connection to any of those teams other than through a player or two who happen to play for the US. I can't attach an allegiance to a team for just a player either, so I wind up watching the MLS more just to watch the sport, but I don't get too interested as I have no allegiance. The only thing I do know is that I hate ManU, but that's primarily because I think they're partially responsible for the decline of the Bucs football team and they're also the Yankees of soccer. I can't pull for a team that everybody else in the world roots for.

I have a mild attachment to Chelsea, but that's primarily because the first game I remember watching and truly enjoying was between them and ManU and I kind of just latched on. It didn't hurt that they were really good. But honestly, I couldn't really care less if they win or lose. If I could find a reason to get attached to an EPL team that may help me enjoy watching that league more, but so far I've found nothing.
HAHA Heaven help the Glazers. However, Man U makes A LOT of $$$, for them.

I'd tell you that now is a good time to follow Arsenal. Alexis Sanchez is stud footballer and Arsenal are playing very well. BUT,
Aresenal will break your heart. They break my heart all the time. Still, I'm Arsenal till I die.

BTW, Man City, Liverpool, Chelski . . . pfft

arsenal fans always talking about next season while they struggle with the current. Voyeur must be focusing on something else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT