ADVERTISEMENT

Quick note on where things stand right now with access, injury info, etc.

iraschoffel

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Jul 13, 2014
As we've explained in several threads, FSU is no longer allowing the media to watch the early portion of practice. They shut it down today. This is not totally unexpected -- it's something the school did last year as well.

What that means is we aren't able to watch the early segment work -- some position drills and also some special teams. It also means we won't be able to visibly document which players are participating -- or not participating -- in practice.

Given that change, a few media outlets had people stand in the parking lot today and observe players going into and leaving practice. I actually went out and watched the players going in too, primarily to see if Matthew Thomas was going in with the team. I didn't rush on here to report that he didn't because at the time it was possible that he might show up later, and I didn't want to provide incorrect info. That is something we take very seriously ... it doesn't do anyone any good if we provide misleading or incorrect information in the name of chasing the news.

For example, one outlet today reported that a certain player returned to practice because he was in uniform when he entered. But we actually believe that this player did not practice today; he was still rehabbing. So did that outlet inform its readers or misinform them?

I'm not really criticizing the other outlets. This is a difficult situation and everyone is doing the best they can.

We'll see how things play out going forward. We would prefer not to play this game -- sitting in the parking lot and posting updates that might or might not mean anything -- but we will if that's what everyone else is doing and that's the info you all want.

I'm planning to discuss this with some folks at FSU tomorrow. Gene and I will be transparent with you and tell you where things stand and how we're going to adjust.

As always, we're here for you, but we also want to operate ethically. If you have questions or comments, feel free to email me at ira@warchant.com.

Thanks for reading and understanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News