ADVERTISEMENT

Quick post-practice updates (10/11)

CurtWeiler

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
We just wrapped at our first practice of Clemson week. Some updates from the practice and from FSU head coach Mike Norvell are below.

• The star of the day was definitely wide receiver/running back Ja''Khi Douglas, who returned to practice and was a full participant Tuesday after missing each of the first six games of the season with an injury. Douglas is listed as a co-backup running back with Rodney Hill, but also got some work at slot wide receiver at Tuesday's practice. He had a nice catch in 11-on-11 work against the scout team and impressively won a 1-on-1 rep as well. Norvell said he's been cleared and will debut Saturday against Clemson, saying, "It was great to have him back. Last week, he was able to start doing some individual (drills), got his final clearance so he's going to be available to play. You see his speed, you see his explosiveness, the versatility of all the things he does. We're still going to bring him back into, but I thought he did a nice job here on his first full day back."
  • Norvell was also asked about running back Treshaun Ward's status after Ward posted a picture on social media of him in a hospital bed Monday afternoon. He said, "He had an evaluation yesterday. I'm thankful that it could have gone one of two ways, but we had the best-case scenario that came out of that. There's no surgery needed. There was potential, but like I said yesterday in my press conference, I was very hopeful and we got the best news that we can get. We'll see how things progress as it continues on. There was a little bit up in the air of where that could go, but it was all positive."
  • With Ward's status in question, Norvell said the opportunity may present itself for true freshman running back Rodney Hill to get a dose of playing time against Clemson. Hill again got a heavy portion of reps at Tuesday's practice, perhaps preparing him for the opportunity.
  • In the opening team portion of practice, the first-team defense largely limited what the offense could accomplish, but the offense got the final laugh when Jordan Travis hit Malik McClain for a touchdown down the seam. Travis also had a few other impressive throws, including a perfectly placed back-shoulder throw which Johnny Wilson high-pointed tremendously during scout-team work near the end of the practice.
  • The defensive play of the day was a dual effort, with Renardo Green jumping a slant route vs. Ontaria Wilson, tipping the ball into the air and then Jammie Robinson recording a diving interception after Wilson tried unsuccessfully to knock the ball out of danger. Jarrian Jones also had an interception on the fourth-and-goal drill FSU runs, diving to make a play on a pass Travis had to get rid of after bobbling the snap.
  • In 1-on-1 trench reps, Joshua Farmer had a few very impressive reps in succession, beating Dillan Gibbons and then Bryson Estes using his deceptively strong power to push them backwards. On the offensive side of the ball, Jazston Turnetine had a good rep vs. Patrick Payton and Julian Armella was pushed back by Jared Verse, but held his own and didn't let him into the backfield.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News