ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the high schools in Tally...

That's sort of "broad". All sports? All high schools including Maclay? NFC?

Academics: Chiles, Maclay, Leon, Lincoln...

Sports: hard to do because all the different sports....
Lincoln, Godby, Rickards, Chiles/Leon. (My child runs track at Chiles, good program)

Academics are easy. Maclay has a solid lead over Chiles and over Rickards (IB program), followed by Leon, then Lincoln and Florida High, then Godby, NFC, FAMU High, and Rickards (regular students) are far behind.

Athletics are a whole different area entirely. Different schools excel in different sports, all of the local schools have strong programs, and most of them have weak ones too.

As far as education at public high schools go in Tallahassee, Lincoln is the best with a 54.5 college readiness index rating compared to 49.8 for Chiles. AP participation is 81% at Lincoln compared to 60% for Chiles. In 2010, Newsweek ranked Lincoln as a Top 100 school nationally.

Rickards hasn't placed in any of the local Brain Bowl competitions over the last five years and has a pretty disappointing IB diploma earning rate. I certainly wouldn't consider theirs a quality IB program like Eastside in Gainesville or Stanton and Paxon in Gainesville. One of Maclay's recent grads just got named a Rhodes scholar, has more merit scholars than Rickards every year (with 1/4 the seniors), and wins most of the top awards at the science fair each year. If you want to try arguing Chiles, there's at least a chance, but if you've got a kid who needs an academic challenge, I'd send them to Maclay every day of the week.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

. . . but if you've got a kid who needs an academic challenge and you make $250K per year or higher, I'd send them to Maclay Monday through Friday.

I fixed that for you.

Originally posted by FreedByJCJr:
Rickards hasn't placed in any of the local Brain Bowl competitions over the last five years and has a pretty disappointing IB diploma earning rate. I certainly wouldn't consider theirs a quality IB program like Eastside in Gainesville or Stanton and Paxon in Gainesville. One of Maclay's recent grads just got named a Rhodes scholar, has more merit scholars than Rickards every year (with 1/4 the seniors), and wins most of the top awards at the science fair each year. If you want to try arguing Chiles, there's at least a chance, but if you've got a kid who needs an academic challenge, I'd send them to Maclay every day of the week.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Jacksonville.....Duuuuuval!

Chiles looks like a college campus, I wish the school board could offer the same quality facilities for every high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT