ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched the game

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
First off, the good, as all is not bad. Losing sucks...especially in a game like this where FSU dominated the first half and was up 17-3.

What I would like point out is NC State is a very experienced team. You can see that on the defensive side of the football where all three of their linebackers would start with the possibility of Bethune. If you gave me Drake Thomas and Payton Wilson along with Bethune, you are talking dynasty-level type linebacker play. Those two guys are very good and should get all-conference discussion. I am a big fan of those guys. They are both guys NC State recruited and developed. Both are juniors and can come back next year. Davin Vann is also very good as is their secondary. NC State has a legit defense. The only other defense that is better is Clemson. I don't think Clemson's back 7 is better.

First off....Let’s give props to Robert Scott. The big run by Ward it was Scott who led the way. He pretty much did what he wanted on the left side. He is very important for FSU and needs to stay healthy the rest of the season. The left side of FSU offensive line with Gibbons and Scott is good. Gibbons has limitations athletic wise but in the run game he is fine. On the penalty with Gibbons....it may sound silly, but I feel like he did everything right and his goofy ass got off balance when he finished off the block which was excessive, and the penalty flag came. I don't have a problem with the way those two played. The right side... while not great was not as bad as people made it out to be. Turnetine got off balance a few times and it looks bad. When he misses it is real bad. That being said he was not a liability the entire game. Travis had plenty of time to throw.

That leads me to Travis....This was by far his worst game of the season. I did not think he played that great the Louisville game, but this Travis on Saturday night was BAD TRAVIS. His throws were off. He did not lead the receivers. The throw to Pittman was terrible but it did not help that Pittman ran an awful route. Travis had two interceptions and could have easily had 1-2 more. He can't play like he did Saturday again this year. NC State took away his first read and Travis struggled. The book is out on Travis...you need to play zone, bring some pressure up front and hit him a few times. Do that and Travis will start to struggle. He does not like to get hit...no one does but Travis struggles after getting knocked down a few times.

The receivers,,, This was by far their worst game. Poor route running. There was one play where Johnny had a chance at a catch, and he let the ball get into his body and dropped it. 6'7 receivers don't need to let the ball get into their body. Snatch the ball out of the air.

Running backs....Ward played very well until he got hurt. Wish he had an extra gear. Benson runs well at times but still seems like he is thinking about his prior injury. He is not mentally back all the way. Wish Toafili was used more in the passing game. Really think he is a threat catching the ball.

Bethune/DeLoach-need these two back next year...and FSU needs to bring in at least 1-2 more linebackers outside the high school kids they are bringing in this year. Lundy is a liability.

Defensive Line - Malcolm Ray is a guy that can give you some snaps from the inside, but you can't play him as much as you had to last night. He got worn down and by the end of the game got neutralized. Jarrett Jackson should have moved to offensive line a long time ago. He is not a defensive tackle. Joshua Farmer looked good. but he needs to really put on mass. If he can get to around 315-320 and get thick, and then he has a chance. I don't care what weight he is listed at Farmer looks undersized as do most of the defensive lineman. Payton is good as a pass rusher...he is a liability in the run game. He needs to live in the weight room this off-season.

Final Thoughts: My biggest concern is the defense. They just don't create big plays. They don't create turnovers. You can't expect the offense to always go 70-80 yards to score. This defense plays sound but they are not aggressive. Where are the sacks which lead to fumbles? Where are the interceptions? I think FSU has 5 turnovers in 6 games and that is not acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News