ADVERTISEMENT

Real Sports story on college football and COVID from parents view

MongooseFSU

Star Player
Gold Member
Dec 25, 2002
Folks please take a look at the most recent HBO Real Sports story on how decisions are being made about the upcoming college football season without any input from the actual players nor their parents. The story focused on ex NFL player Chris Hinton and his wife, a lawyer. The have sons on football scholarship at Michigan and Stanford. The Hintons are upset that college players are being put in harm because of the greed of The corporate and college industries that rely on college football. The story also reviewed how some schools were trying to get then players to sign waivers providing the schools indemnify In the event the college football players contracts COVID. Disgusting! The interview with the SEC Commissioner is particularly uncomfortable. The story provides a perspective that is rarely discussed on this message board.

Let players play who want to play. Those that don’t shouldn’t be forced to. As a parent, and seeing how small the risk is to healthy, college age kids, I’d be fine with them playing.

My 13 year old daughter is hoping her middle school will play a regular softball schedule, and I’m all for it.

Folks please take a look at the most recent HBO Real Sports story on how decisions are being made about the upcoming college football season without any input from the actual players nor their parents. The story focused on ex NFL player Chris Hinton and his wife, a lawyer. The have sons on football scholarship at Michigan and Stanford. The Hintons are upset that college players are being put in harm because of the greed of The corporate and college industries that rely on college football. The story also reviewed how some schools were trying to get then players to sign waivers providing the schools indemnify In the event the college football players contracts COVID. Disgusting! The interview with the SEC Commissioner is particularly uncomfortable. The story provides a perspective that is rarely discussed on this message board.

I have only seen your post & the HBO trailer which lead me to believe the season may start but not be completed. Just my guess as to what happens.

Reactions: Andre' and JB1987
Well I am a first hand witness that this is all media/$ driven...my brother was trying to do a crazy stunt at the pool jumping off tables and fell on the side of the pool and severely bruised his kidney and bruised his ribs...his girlfriend is a nurse and said if u get a high fever u probably have a kidney infection...exactly that happened as the next day it was 102.4 so they tested him for COVID and on the paper work it said it was detected COVID and he was coughing and had a sore throat which he never had...his fever has never been higher than a 99 since then...I just can’t believe people can blatantly lie about this crap

Reactions: Hogpynn
Well I am a first hand witness that this is all media/$ driven...my brother was trying to do a crazy stunt at the pool jumping off tables and fell on the side of the pool and severely bruised his kidney and bruised his ribs...his girlfriend is a nurse and said if u get a high fever u probably have a kidney infection...exactly that happened as the next day it was 102.4 so they tested him for COVID and on the paper work it said it was detected COVID and he was coughing and had a sore throat which he never had...his fever has never been higher than a 99 since then...I just can’t believe people can blatantly lie about this crap

Let players play who want to play. Those that don’t shouldn’t be forced to. As a parent, and seeing how small the risk is to healthy, college age kids, I’d be fine with them playing.

My 13 year old daughter is hoping her middle school will play a regular softball schedule, and I’m all for it.
Just because a young person doesn't die from COVID does not mean that there are no potential long term effects. is there permanent scarring of the lungs? people seem to think that the only impact is whether you die. we dont know enough about this yet.

Reactions: Andre'
Pretty sure Chris Hinton was part of Denver's trade to Indy for John Elway back in '83

In the HBO trailer, SEC commish refused to tell the reporter how many SEC players have tested positive so far, even though he receives regular reports. Media will play up corporate greed at the expense of mostly AA "student-athletes", exposing them to the virus for the millions of dollars made from college football.. .. IMO

I loved the piece and agree that it captures parents' mindsets. The point that needs to be reiterated is that college players - who aren't paid - have no testing protocols and no bubbles whereas pro players - who are paid lots - do. I thought the Hintons were pretty brave for doing it. Kudos to them.

Just because a young person doesn't die from COVID does not mean that there are no potential long term effects. is there permanent scarring of the lungs? people seem to think that the only impact is whether you die. we dont know enough about this yet.

Considering a majority of cases in young people don’t even know they have it, they’d probably be ok, long term.

Like I said, if you aren’t comfortable, then you don’t have to play. Those that do, should be allowed.

Like I said, if you aren’t comfortable, then you don’t have to play. Those that do, should be allowed.

This is the mindset that irks parents most. It's just not that simple if you're actually in the middle of it. I think the best response here is something that recognizes the difficult decision parents have to make and perhaps even a little appreciation for putting a son at risk for the benefit of the athletics department. Just brushing it off as an easy decision or one that isn't selfless in any way is really frustrating.

This is the mindset that irks parents most. It's just not that simple if you're actually in the middle of it. I think the best response here is something that recognizes the difficult decision parents have to make and perhaps even a little appreciation for putting a son at risk for the benefit of the athletics department. Just brushing it off as an easy decision or one that isn't selfless in any way is really frustrating.

I am a parent. If I’m comfortable and my children are comfortable it really is that simple.

Reactions: Odel4Pres
I am a parent. If I’m comfortable and my children are comfortable it really is that simple.
Seminal - well said

What decisions do parents have to make?—exactly? I’ve raised two kids who are now over the age of eighteen. I’m certainly here to offer them advice and support (When they ask for it), but they’re adults now. And part of being an adult is making Informed decisions and taking full responsibility for them.

Reactions: Dr. Nole
What decisions do parents have to make?—exactly? I’ve raised two kids who are now over the age of eighteen. I’m certainly here to offer them advice and support (When they ask for it), but they’re adults now. And part of being an adult is making Informed decisions and taking full responsibility for them.

So that's it? Your 18 year old asks for advice about putting himself in a position to catch a potentially life-altering virus (his or some other person's), you give him advice, and then go on your merry way without giving it another thought or worrying about him? If this scenario sounds silly, it's because it is.

And then there are lots of people who want to overly simplify the situation - they're adults, chances are low, they're healthy - so that they can watch on Saturday. Talk about selfish. At least have a little bit of empathy. That'd be a good start.

So that's it? Your 18 year old asks for advice about putting himself in a position to catch a potentially life-altering virus (his or some other person's), you give him advice, and then go on your merry way without giving it another thought or worrying about him? If this scenario sounds silly, it's because it is.

And then there are lots of people who want to overly simplify the situation - they're adults, chances are low, they're healthy - so that they can watch on Saturday. Talk about selfish. At least have a little bit of empathy. That'd be a good start.

the only thing that sounds silly is: you inventing thoughts, motivations, and behaviors for other people. Most parents will always worry about their children. They are ALWAYS on our minds. Constantly. But. We raised our kids to evaluate, consider, and try to make the best decisions possible—for them. I’m here to help and support them. I’m not going to hijack their volition and try to manage their lives for them. I’m certainly not going to spank them and take away their smartphones if they don’t listen to me at 18+ years of age.…

What are you missing? It’s not about us watching or thinking about football saturdays. . . If they want to play, and they understand the situation. . . Let them. If they don’t. . . Then they don’t have to.

It should be more about them than you or myself. There are lots of people out here in the world working and going about life, they should be allowed to also.

The difference between other people who put themselves out there and college football families is that people put signs in their front yards thanking necessary workers for doing what they do. Football families get ridiculed on message boards for daring to worry about their kids. Come to think of it, sociopaths aren't capable of empathy either. Just sayin. Enjoy the season.

So his Covid test came back positive and the result of the test got included in his medical records. Damn doctors! They are all part of the globalist conspiracy. This is why I get all of my medical information from Facebook. Tell your brother to drink silver. It fixes kidneys damaged from pool jumping.

Reactions: Dr. Nole and jmcfla
So his Covid test came back positive and the result of the test got included in his medical records. Damn doctors! They are all part of the globalist conspiracy. This is why I get all of my medical information from Facebook. Tell your brother to drink silver. It fixes kidneys damaged from pool jumping.
Hoax hoax and bigger hoax...they falsified his report and completely made up coughing and trouble breathing...that hospital made a nice buck

The dam
The difference between other people who put themselves out there and college football families is that people put signs in their front yards thanking necessary workers for doing what they do. Football families get ridiculed on message boards for daring to worry about their kids. Come to think of it, sociopaths aren't capable of empathy either. Just sayin. Enjoy the season.
Thank you for your independent thinking.

Hoax hoax and bigger hoax...they falsified his report and completely made up coughing and trouble breathing...that hospital made a nice buck
Have you found the pizza restaurant in the Bronx being run by Hillary that's at the center of all of this? Please do your patriotic duty and find it and report back to the board.

Have you found the pizza restaurant in the Bronx being run by Hillary that's at the center of all of this? Please do your patriotic duty and find it and report back to the board.

Why go to this extreme? It’s very believable the hospital reported symptoms of a covid case to gain extra reimbursement. This isn’t saying it’s a global conspiracy, just that a hospital wanted to get paid more, this fudging the numbers a bit.

He may have very well tested positive for covid, and it was coincidental it was after his injury, but there’s to reason to report symptoms of coughing and congestion that weren’t there.

Why go to this extreme? It’s very believable the hospital reported symptoms of a covid case to gain extra reimbursement. This isn’t saying it’s a global conspiracy, just that a hospital wanted to get paid more, this fudging the numbers a bit.

He may have very well tested positive for covid, and it was coincidental it was after his injury, but there’s to reason to report symptoms of coughing and congestion that weren’t there.

Oh, I understand. It's just padding the billing for the cough. I misunderstood your post to suggest they shouldn't have documented him as a legit covid case. Obviously they'd be correct in documenting the case so his family and anyone at the hospital would have know he has it. Even if he came in for a unrelated injury.

Reactions: summit2001
We should learn from the Hintons. That we are considering playing football concerns me greatly. The role that money plays in driving the decision to play concerns me more.
This has been my position since day one.

Didn't see the HBO piece, but the Hintons' boys hopefully have options. If the football thing doesn't work out, they have an opportunity to get an excellent education at their respective schools.

I'd suggest they take their son's health decisions into their own hands. Can they possibly think some college athletic commissioner is going to have their kids best interest at heart? Also, their sons are blessed to have parents who have more than the NFL on their minds.

We stop games due to lightning for Christ sakes. How many football fans have died due to being struck by lightning?

I will check it out. Did they discuss what the schools should do with scholarships if players decide not to play for safety reasons. I’m all
For individual choice but I also tho k the school would have the right to pull the scholarship and the student would have to pay for room, board, food and books like other students that aren’t participating in scholarship eligible sports.

They should just stay in their basement forever

Great path to keep things locked down and continue the fear. I know many people that kicked it and they are all fine. But continue the fear mongering.

Considering a majority of cases in young people don’t even know they have it, they’d probably be ok, long term.

As Dot commented on. A large pc of our athletes already had it ....And it doesn’t come back.

Why go to this extreme? It’s very believable the hospital reported symptoms of a covid case to gain extra reimbursement.

If he went home, how did the hospital gain any extra reimbursement? Also, if this was the case, we would see a spike in cancer and for any other ailments where hospitals can get "reimbursed".

Because there is not a consensus among our leadership, we now have doubt based on political lines instead of just following the science. COVID deniers, Flat Earthers, and the crowd believing the world is 5,000 years old and humans lived with dinosaurs are all in the same group. Just unbelievable we are at this point where social media and sound bytes from agenda driven folks now outweigh legitimate science and logic.

Reactions: jmcfla
As Dot commented on. A large pc of our athletes already had it ....And it doesn’t come back.

@Dot Com I haven't seen this data. Is he quoting you accurately? Is there a percentage of FSU athletes that have already had COVID? Going to be tough to get an account because of HIPPA, but have we really seen that many that stated they were sick? I think he is speaking out of turn... but wanted you to address if correct.

Great path to keep things locked down and continue the fear. I know many people that kicked it and they are all fine. But continue the fear mongering.

I know one too - Google Eduardo Rodriguez, Red Sox and get back to me.

The point is that we don't know what we don't know. There are risks, even for young people like Eduardo.

That's what the Hintons were saying, and they're right.

@Dot Com I haven't seen this data. Is he quoting you accurately? Is there a percentage of FSU athletes that have already had COVID? Going to be tough to get an account because of HIPPA, but have we really seen that many that stated they were sick? I think he is speaking out of turn... but wanted you to address if correct.
From DOT
FSU is incredibly secretive when it comes to COVID numbers compared to other schools. Obviously HIPPA isn't a problem for schools like UVA that actively send out releases with detailed numbers. I've heard there's a been a decent amount of positives at FSU (more than UVA) but don't believe anyone has been hospitalized since they started actively testing.

I know one too - Google Eduardo Rodriguez, Red Sox and get back to me.

The point is that we don't know what we don't know. There are risks, even for young people like Eduardo.

That's what the Hintons were saying, and they're right.
And what PC are the deaths from young people? The answer is about zero!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT