ADVERTISEMENT

Real Sports story on college football and COVID from parents view

From DOT
FSU is incredibly secretive when it comes to COVID numbers compared to other schools. Obviously HIPPA isn't a problem for schools like UVA that actively send out releases with detailed numbers. I've heard there's a been a decent amount of positives at FSU (more than UVA) but don't believe anyone has been hospitalized since they started actively testing.

You are taking the word "decent" and then applying that to mean a majority??? He even states he doesn't know and decent could mean anything from 10-1000. No one may have been hospitalized, but if they ran some EKGs, if what you are saying is true - that a majority did have it, chances are good some have myocarditis.

Last edited:
Reactions: seminal
And what PC are the deaths from young people? The answer is about zero!!

You didn't mention dead, you mentioned "fine". My point is that we still don't know the long-term ramifications of COVID - and we won't until the long-term. Let's not act like there are no risks for players. Uncertainty is a risk by definition.

You didn't mention dead, you mentioned "fine". My point is that we still don't know the long-term ramifications of COVID - and we won't until the long-term. Let's not act like there are no risks for players. Uncertainty is a risk by definition.
There are risk with everything we do. A young person can die in an automobile. Our entire lives we have evaluated risk and compared and made choices. But we can’t do that with this virus. A healthy person dying from covid under the age of 45 is 0015. But so many people are programmed to not take that risk. Never before have people not taken that risk to lead a normal life. As far as saying there could be a risk months down the road. That is just creative fear mongering. People need to be a little smarter than that. We can create a million what IFs

There are risk with everything we do. A young person can die in an automobile. Our entire lives we have evaluated risk and compared and made choices. But we can’t do that with this virus. A healthy person dying from covid under the age of 45 is 0015. But so many people are programmed to not take that risk. Never before have people not taken that risk to lead a normal life.

Again with the dying. Per my Eduardo Rodriguez example, the risk of dying isn't the only risk associated with COVID.

@Dot Com I haven't seen this data. Is he quoting you accurately? Is there a percentage of FSU athletes that have already had COVID? Going to be tough to get an account because of HIPPA, but have we really seen that many that stated they were sick? I think he is speaking out of turn... but wanted you to address if correct.
Not what I said. Said that there were more at FSU compared to UVA (which had only four among all student athletes all month).

Don't know what data is being referred to. Sounds like another sensational media story. As I've said on the boards before, if I were a parent of a football player I would be more concerned about concussions.

Not what I said. Said that there were more at FSU compared to UVA (which had only four among all student athletes all month).

Don't know what data is being referred to. Sounds like another sensational media story. As I've said on the boards before, if I were a parent of a football player I would be more concerned about concussions.
Dot. I copy and pasted your post.
You do know, one death in the entire ACC would be 1 too many and would end football immediately. What are you trying to say here?
Kids have died on the college basketball court and football field. Why didn’t the season end

You are taking the word "decent" and then applying that to mean a majority??? He even states he doesn't know and decent could mean anything from 10-1000. No one may have been hospitalized, but if they ran some EKGs, if what you are saying is true - that a majority did have it, chances are good some have myocarditis.
Lmao. They probably have leprosy too. Give me a break. I’m done here because I’m about to go to Chile.

Kids have died on the college basketball court and football field. Why didn’t the season end

You feel if a player dies from COVID19, that everyone should just continue the season? I do not think you will find any support for that sentiment, even from the anti-mask crowd.

I only know of a few players that died on the court - and all had medical conditions. Players that died, including the one at FSU, caused programs to reflect and react with new policies about how to treat heat strokes.

There is a WIDE difference between heat strokes and an infectious disease. You should not have to be a doctor to understand that, just someone with common sense.

Have a great time in Chile. Wear a mask while in the airports or on the plane.

Reactions: jmcfla and seminal
You feel if a player dies from COVID19, that everyone should just continue the season? I do not think you will find any support for that sentiment, even from the anti-mask crowd.

I only know of a few players that died on the court - and all had medical conditions. Players that died, including the one at FSU, caused programs to reflect and react with new policies about how to treat heat strokes.

There is a WIDE difference between heat strokes and an infectious disease. You should not have to be a doctor to understand that, just someone with common sense.

Have a great time in Chile. Wear a mask while in the airports or on the plane.
And you have a good time in your basement alone.

And you have a good time in your basement alone.

I have a couple of houses and neither has a basement. It is great looking out so many windows and feeling secure. I get to interact with plenty of people on a daily basis but appreciate the concern.

If anyone is in a "bunker" mentally, I would have to say it is you. So is your secret drinking Lysol, focusing UV lights internally, or taking HCQ now? Asking for a friend...

Reactions: jmcfla
Great path to keep things locked down and continue the fear. I know many people that kicked it and they are all fine. But continue the fear mongering.
Good that you know a lot of people who had it and are now fine. So I guess your personal observations are the defining factors in how we should set public policy around a virus that has so far been responsible for over 150k deaths in America alone.

Well Dot, the folks that were featured in that Real Sports story were actually parents of two actual college football players. The father was an NFL alum - Chris Hinton and the mother is a lawyer. They both seem to be pretty intelligent and thoughtful people - I would hardly call the story sensationalist

Well Dot, the folks that were featured in that Real Sports story were actually parents of two actual college football players. The father was an NFL alum - Chris Hinton and the mother is a lawyer. They both seem to be pretty intelligent and thoughtful people - I would hardly call the story sensationalist

I like your style, but I think Dot was referring to a different story as sensationalist. Still, I'm on record (and have had posts removed) for being critical of entities that have a lot to gain from football being played coming out and publicly dismissing COVID risks for players and their families. It's a bad look if nothing else.

As a parent of a current P5 player (not FSU), it's a tough position to be in, and one that really scares my wife and me.My son can run a 4.5 40 and a mile in less than 6 minutes. He has six pack abs (gets that from the other side). You'd never know he's had asthma since he was a little kid. Michael Phelps, Emmitt Smith, and Dennis Rodman have asthma too, and they were pretty fair athletes in their day.

Things like asthma and sickle trait are what the message board heroes are missing when they discount the risks. But that doesn't stop posters from giving passionate opinions about an issue when they have absolutely no skin in the game. Oh sure - you'd send your kid out there and not give it another thought. Pfft. If that's true, I wouldn't want to be your kid.

I like your style, but I think Dot was referring to a different story as sensationalist. Still, I'm on record (and have had posts removed) for being critical of entities that have a lot to gain from football being played coming out and publicly dismissing COVID risks for players and their families. It's a bad look if nothing else.

As a parent of a current P5 player (not FSU), it's a tough position to be in, and one that really scares my wife and me.My son can run a 4.5 40 and a mile in less than 6 minutes. He has six pack abs (gets that from the other side). You'd never know he's had asthma since he was a little kid. Michael Phelps, Emmitt Smith, and Dennis Rodman have asthma too, and they were pretty fair athletes in their day.

Things like asthma and sickle trait are what the message board heroes are missing when they discount the risks. But that doesn't stop posters from giving passionate opinions about an issue when they have absolutely no skin in the game. Oh sure - you'd send your kid out there and not give it another thought. Pfft. If that's true, I wouldn't want to be your kid.
Sem, Somewhere you missed that point. Kids with conditions like your son can not take the risk. Their chances of dying are much higher than .0015. Many of us so called heroes are just that. Because of us, completely healthy people can sit in their basements and talk about how smart and cool they are while we are out there everyday enabling the world to function . And it gets old. People have been conditioned to stay in hiding forever.The longer they stay there the harder it is to understand the importance of normalcy . When you have been out there from the beginning and have seen everything, it still isn't easy .It also hard to understand why healthy kids can't go play sports. Again that is not your son. Our football players are going about things like the virus doesn't even exist.They could care less. Has anyone asked our players what they think? DOT?It's people like Odell that Im worried about. Data will come out later that will shock you. Until then continue to protect your boy.GO NOLES

We know the risks and our decision is made. I just hate to hear the scoffs from people who have no idea what they're talking about. What about the kids with parents or relatives that have preconditions? That's dangerous too. Coaches, trainers, managers, equipment people. All of them could be at risk. There are risks, and it really bothers me when people act like it's silly to be concerned....and at the end of the day, all they really want is to have something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I do too, but I'm not so self-interested that I can't see the whole picture.

We know the risks and our decision is made. I just hate to hear the scoffs from people who have no idea what they're talking about. What about the kids with parents or relatives that have preconditions? That's dangerous too. Coaches, trainers, managers, equipment people. All of them could be at risk. There are risks, and it really bothers me when people act like it's silly to be concerned....and at the end of the day, all they really want is to have something to do on a Saturday afternoon. I do too, but I'm not so self-interested that I can't see the whole picture.
I flew to PA last month. My friend has a 21 year old son with asthma. I got tested to make sure that kid didn’t get it from me. I’m around so many people with covid it’s not easy. My family is traveling to a a wedding this Saturday. I can’t go because I can’t take the chance giving my 85 Yo father that is a cancer survivor Covid or several others just like him. That being said. I function and work and do everything as normal. Just got back from Vegas. But I protect people when I can. I also think not living is dying and life has to go on.

I agree and have that as a concern with this site as well.

Reactions: BriSape23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT