ADVERTISEMENT

Renegade Barber Shop

Was still there last time I was in town. The one at Tennessee St and Stadium Dr moved around the corner to a bigger space.

Originally posted by doofy10:
Do they still have playboys to read while you wait? You know... For the articles.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Hell yeah. 5 dolla barber cut and playboys to read. Forgot about that place, was one of the last remaining male chauvinistic and mens's men places around, kinda like a baseball dugout or auto shop garage. You could belch, fart, and cuss all in one sentence and they would look down on you if you didn't.

Sounds like you're talking about Seminole Barbershop which was on Pensacola Street between Woodward and Stadium Drive. A couple years ago they moved around the corner slightly closer to Stadium Drive. The same guys DeWayne and Larry have run the place for well over 40 years.

Originally posted by 76Noles:
Sounds like you're talking about Seminole Barbershop which was on Pensacola Street between Woodward and Stadium Drive. A couple years ago they moved around the corner slightly closer to Stadium Drive. The same guys DeWayne and Larry have run the place for well over 40 years.
This. I think some posters have the 2 places confused. Renegade has several locations and seem to be doing well. Seminole Barbershop is across the street from the stadium in the building where the FSView was located and later bought by the Boosters. They used to be next door to Garnet and Gold until a couple of years ago.

Dwayne and Larry are great, still get my haircut and rumor updates there since 1993. The Boosters sold the building to FSU and there was some concern they might get kicked out. Apparently President Thrasher stopped by the store recently and assured Dwayne that the University had no intentions of displacing them. He told them that if the University builds something else in that place the barbershop would still have a home.

If any of you guys used to get your hair cut there you should stop in and say hi to Dwayne and Larry. They are truly FSU icons and have cut players and coaches hair for decades. Will warn you though, they have raised their prices twice since 1993. A haircut now costs TWELVE dollars.

Oh yeah, and I haven't seen any Playboys since the move....
This post was edited on 4/19 11:57 PM by mercernole

Originally posted by mercernole:

If any of you guys used to get your hair cut there you should stop in and say hi to Dwayne and Larry. They are truly FSU icons and have cut players and coaches hair for decades.

Are they responsible for Jimbo's cut and sideburns kidnapping?

I think all of them are still there. I always refused to go to the one near campus due to the Playboy issues. I knew a couple of female barbers who worked for them who would rotate through a number of stores. They were constantly harassed by college guys looking at playboys while they got their hair cut and hitting on the barbers. Seemed like a good strong sexual harassment suit waiting to happen as far as I'm concerned.

One of the few times I went there, I saw a father come in with his son who just needed a haircut and knew nothing about the place. He wasn't very happy when his 5 year old picked up the magazine and started asking about the naked women. That was when I finally decided I wasn't going to give that place any more of my business.

Originally posted by cfbfan23:

Originally posted by mercernole:

If any of you guys used to get your hair cut there you should stop in and say hi to Dwayne and Larry. They are truly FSU icons and have cut players and coaches hair for decades.

Are they responsible for Jimbo's cut and sideburns kidnapping?
No, pretty sure Jimbo doesn't get his hair cut at Seminole.

Just made it back to read the replies--thanks for the intel and conversation..I was talking about the one on Pensacola. It looked like maybe someone bought it and expanded it; all the FSU gear/memorabilia was long gone. It looked like something from the movie Friday, rather than what I remember..circa 2000.

The owner of Renegade passed away recently. Everything is operating as normal in his absence from what I've heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT