ADVERTISEMENT

Restaurant recommendation Downtown Atlanta

Jan 3, 2005
I am attending a conference at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Atlanta in a couple weeks. Looking for a recommendation on a good place to take clients out to dinner on a Sunday night.

downtown is usually dead on the weekends. don't know restaurant schedules on Sunday.

White Oak (neaveau Southern) is across the street or Ray's Downtown (seafood) a few blocks, across from the Ritz.

If you have transport, Empire State South in midtown. (neaveau Southern)

Not overly fancy, but something I can take clients to. Something 'Farm-to-table"-ish with a good atmosphere would be a good option.

Have worked in downtown Atlanta 21 years and couldn't give you one suggestion. Listen to Ronnie and hit up the intown neighborhoods. Inman Park, Midtown, Old 4th Ward all within a couple miles of downtown and much better options.

The Iberian Pig is really good. So many good restaurants in ATL, but not that many in the downtown area. You need to drive some.

White Oak is literally across the street. Its a really nice space, very high cielings, a mix of trendy and traditional. People rave about it and the cuisine is chef-level and trendy, but frankly i don't really like the food that much - more of a menu issue for me than a quality issue.

Empire State South is a few miles north, 5 min. cab ride. Much better food, and more along the farm to table angle you mentioned, but the facility is not as nice. They do have a bocce ball alley in back, if you like to play. I"m on the board of a nonprofit and we have our annual even there every year.

there is also Alma Cucina walking distance in the 191 building.

Reactions: HulaNole
White Oak is literally across the street. Its a really nice space, very high cielings, a mix of trendy and traditional. People rave about it and the cuisine is chef-level and trendy, but frankly i don't really like the food that much - more of a menu issue for me than a quality issue.

Empire State South is a few miles north, 5 min. cab ride. Much better food, and more along the farm to table angle you mentioned, but the facility is not as nice. They do have a bocce ball alley in back, if you like to play. I"m on the board of a nonprofit and we have our annual even there every year.

there is also Alma Cucina walking distance in the 191 building.

Agree, if you must stay downtown Alma Cocina is good. It's a Fifth Group concept and right next to the Ritz. Which you could eat there too. Ray's is way over-rated, rather go to the Hooters.

Nothing really worth trying until you get OTP.
oh-no-you-didn-t-GIF

The Optimist is about 2 miles northwest of you and One Eared Stag is about 3 miles east. Both are great.

If you go into Decatur, Cakes and Ale is a great place. Also, Kimball House for awesome oysters at a decent price between 5 pm and 7 pm weekdays.

The Optimist is about 2 miles northwest of you and One Eared Stag is about 3 miles east. Both are great.

If you go into Decatur, Cakes and Ale is a great place. Also, Kimball House for awesome oysters at a decent price between 5 pm and 7 pm weekdays.

I love the Optimist. The shrimp a la plancha is great. Sometimes, I'll go there and just get 3 orders of that and skip the entrée all together.

On your way out of town when you are nice and hungover, swing by the Varsity and get two really greasy chill dogs and onion rings for $12.

It's a must for me. There is also one in the Airport if you flying Delta or Southwest (one of the two), I forget which terminal, maybe C??

I think Cakes & Ale is easily the most overrated restaurant in the Atlanta area. I've never had a noteworthy meal there.

Two Urban Licks? Welcome to 15 years ago. I guess the fact that's it's still around speaks for itself.

Atlanta had to be one of the worst major cities in the US in terms of things going on downtown. Hell we even moved our baseball team to the borderline suburbs. The rednecks I live around in the suburbs HATE downtown and would rather go to Iraq then downtown Atlanta... I hate the SEC...lol

To answe the OP question there is plenty of Waffle Houses to choose from.

Atlanta had to be one of the worst major cities in the US in terms of things going on downtown. Hell we even moved our baseball team to the borderline suburbs.

Atlanta did not move the team to the suburbs, the Braves moved the team because they found the latest sucker in a long line of suckers to get their stadium partially paid for with public funds.
.http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-atlanta-braves-stadium/

As to your downtown comment, wait a few weeks for a huge announcement. Things are starting to finally turn around down there.

Atlanta did not move the team to the suburbs, the Braves moved the team because they found the latest sucker in a long line of suckers to get their stadium partially paid for with public funds.
.http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-atlanta-braves-stadium/

As to your downtown comment, wait a few weeks for a huge announcement. Things are starting to finally turn around down there.

The point about the braves is of course they moved to the suburbs--- Atlantans don't like going downtown.

Whatever it is that will be announced hopefully won't be another disaster-- just like the idea of turning the area around the Ted into a bar/ restaurant district back in the late 90's or Atlantic Station in the 2000's. Southerners, in general, don't do downtowns.

The point about the braves is of course they moved to the suburbs--- Atlantans don't like going downtown.

Whatever it is that will be announced hopefully won't be another disaster-- just like the idea of turning the area around the Ted into a bar/ restaurant district back in the late 90's or Atlantic Station in the 2000's. Southerners, in general, don't do downtowns.

Gwinnettians may not like to go downtown. Atlantans think downtown is hunky dory.

#gwinnettisgreat #successliveshere

Gwinnettians may not like to go downtown. Atlantans think downtown is hunky dory.

#gwinnettisgreat #successliveshere

You missed the point.

I love going downtown. I just wish more people (suburbanites) would like going downtown as well. There is no comparison of Atlanta's downtown to other major US cities. As others in this thread said downtown is deserted on weekends. If move people went downtown on weekends the city would be a lot better-- better entertainment districts, restaurants, etc.

I don't live in Gwinnett anymore. I liked it when we lived there-- we were only 15 minutes from MARTA and would go in town for the braves games (with the braves bus transfer). Next year we will get to drive to Cobb county..yay. If more people liked going downtown , and weren't so afraid of it, then it would become a better place... and not deserted on weekends. That is the point.

most of downtown is not dangerous, but most folks desert it at 6pm anyway.

its usually a ghost town unless there is a big event in town.

downtwon NYC was the same way when I worked there, because most of the banks and top lawfirms had moved to midtown. same with Atlanta, except SunTrust is still downtown. King & Spalding and A&B are in midtown.

downtown is mostly convention hotels (tourists), Georgia Pacific, two of the Big 4 accounting firms, and ST. Southern company is nearby. Coke is in midtown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT