ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Ryan Mallet

And several in Jax, along with several rescues. Riptides are really bad this year.

There have been 9 drownings along the Florida panhandle this month.

More than 1000 children (under the age of 18) drown each year and 4000 total each year. There are over 8000 near drownings each year..............many causing brain damage. Drowning is the leading cause of death among children 1-4 and the second among children 5-14. Among adults 70% of drowning deaths occurred while under the influence of alcohol. I have taught swim lessons all my life. And pulled many drunks out of the water during my time as a beach life guard.

There have been 9 drownings along the Florida panhandle this month.

And one in Alabama. Some of these drownings were people trying to save someone else one of which was a off duty firefighter. All of this happened under double red flags which means the water is closed. Blatant stupidity is whats to blame when idiots go into the water in these cases. Many of the times these same morons live while the hero trying to save them dies. Witnessed first hand a group of idiots giving cops the finger and telling them to F#$k off when told they couldn't be in the water. Another guy walked up and told them to go in and drown to save the gene pool.

All preventable deaths.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
And one in Alabama. Some of these drownings were people trying to save someone else one of which was a off duty firefighter. All of this happened under double red flags which means the water is closed. Blatant stupidity is whats to blame when idiots go into the water in these cases. Many of the times these same morons live while the hero trying to save them dies. Witnessed first hand a group of idiots giving cops the finger and telling them to F#$k off when told they couldn't be in the water. Another guy walked up and told them to go in and drown to save the gene pool.

All preventable deaths.
All of them haven't been under double red flag conditions but I'm sure many have. WCSO are ticketing people who ignore the flags. Other county's departments should too.

Reactions: billanole

All preventable deaths.
The local sheriff is saying the same thing, and is visibly upset by it.

All of them haven't been under double red flag conditions but I'm sure many have. WCSO are ticketing people who ignore the flags. Other county's departments should too.
500 fine isn't enough and the warnings should stop. Bump it up to 1000 or more. Funny they can arrest people for drinking on the beach during March but this is an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleFan2U
Your right I think the Sunday ones were single red. 18-24th were double, changed to single but back to double then single on the 25th in PCB.

Without doing any research.. in regards to riptides, are those drowning, swimming out where they can’t touch the bottom and getting pulled that way?

I feel like any time I’ve been to the beach, rarely have I ever gone out where I couldn’t touch. Maybe never.

Reactions: goldmom
Without doing any research.. in regards to riptides, are those drowning, swimming out where they can’t touch the bottom and getting pulled that way?

I feel like any time I’ve been to the beach, rarely have I ever gone out where I couldn’t touch. Maybe never.
Knee deep is too deep under rip tide conditions they say.

Reactions: fredfarkle336
I went for a walk on the beach on Monday as the tide was just turning and the outflow was extremely strong. Had to change from mid calf depth to just toe deep.
We’ve had so many rescues and drownings here on the First Coast already. It seems like the news is talking about it every night. More so than usual.

It is against my constitutional rights to keep me out of the water!

I learned long ago that you can't fix stupid.
Then the rescue people shouldn't go in to get them. They should say sorry its a red flag we cant help, oh and who is paying the fine?

Reactions: NoleFan2U
Then the rescue people shouldn't go in to get them. They should say sorry its a red flag we cant help, oh and who is paying the fine?
Sounds great but if you’re standing on shore and see a 10y/o screaming being dragged out to sea it’s probably not so easy to just throw your hands up and carry on with your day. I feel like that’s the classic story of someone going in after a child and them both drowning.

My fil almost drowned in a rip current
Bil almost drowned rescuing him

Was in hospital for a few days

In Atlantic Ocean next to anglins pier

I tell all out of state visitors what to do to get out of it

But when panic sets in they freak out

It’s so easy to stay calm and get out of it

Sounds great but if you’re standing on shore and see a 10y/o screaming being dragged out to sea it’s probably not so easy to just throw your hands up and carry on with your day. I feel like that’s the classic story of someone going in after a child and them both drowning.
Why would a 10 y/o be in that water under red flag conditions? Where are the parents? That's part of the problem. A kid with dumb parents or the dumb parents are in the water when its dangerous, one gets pulled out others try to save them and someone drowns.

I get that people want to go in to save someone, I've done it myself but the issue is people going in the water. There is no real fix other than to raise the fine but that probably doesn't work anyway. I was out there over the weekend and the BCS and Beach Police were out there but just warning people, out of about 20 contacts they cited one person.

Reactions: BrianNole777
I dove a lot when I lived in WPB but never encountered currents on the reef that was close to a rip. How shallow were they?
The Lady Luck in Pompano sits at 126 feet and the Castor in Delray/Boynton is at 118 feet in the sand. Sometimes I struggle to pull myself down the line and have to hold on to the wreck to not get blown off while diving. I always carry a signaling device as well as a Nautilus LifeLine with me. It has a GPS beacon and can alert the US Coast Guard if I am floating away at sea. It also has CB radio capability to try an alert local boaters as well. Happy to say that I have never had to use it!

Some of the strongest underwater currents I’ve dealt with were in the keys

Especially in or near channels

And at tide changes!!

Brutal

The Lady Luck in Pompano sits at 126 feet and the Castor in Delray/Boynton is at 118 feet in the sand. Sometimes I struggle to pull myself down the line and have to hold on to the wreck to not get blown off while diving. I always carry a signaling device as well as a Nautilus LifeLine with me. It has a GPS beacon and can alert the US Coast Guard if I am floating away at sea. It also has CB radio capability to try an alert local boaters as well. Happy to say that I have never had to use it!
We went out the Boyton inlet then east to the reef. We were usually in ~60' of water. We would ride the current but it wasn't anything that alarmed us.

All preventable deaths.
Having been a beach lifeguard in my earlier years, I can attest to the majority being drunk. Maybe not in this case, but I can't remember pulling out a sober adult person, some kids, but almost all drunk adults. There is also the ignorant, but if there were flags and lifeguards, then that is not an excuse. It takes a strong, knowledgeable swimmer to swim through rips, something that is in rare supply on the beach.

Not sure but the Head Lifeguard explained that the storms (mostly nor’easters) have altered sandbars that create more hazards.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Ten more rescues today in Fernandina Beach,
Should I mention that this beach is extremely popular with visitors from Southeast Georgia?
Maybe they think red flags mean WELCOME DAWG FANS?

Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT