ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Tom Seaver

Remember what Ryan did to Robin Ventura when he made the foolish decision to charge the mound?
Nolan is one of my all time favorite players growing up, but Dale Murphy was my childhood hero. I fell in love with the Braves in the late 70’s early 80’s and been a fan every since I could understand the game.

Last edited:
Nolan is one of my all time favorite players growing up, but Dale Murphy was my childhood hero. I fell in love with the Braves in the late 70’s early 80’s and been a fan ever sense I could understand the game.
Murphy was great. An excellent outfielder as well as a slugger. He and Bob Horner were a great power hitting combination back in the day.

Passed away at 75. His early dementia and Lyme disease weakened his immune system to a degree that COVID just took him away.

He sure could pitch a little back in the day!
His dirty knee should be in the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: rap4117
Murphy was great. An excellent outfielder as well as a slugger. He and Bob Horner were a great power hitting combination back in the day.
Im a lifelong Met fan and even I liked Murphy. Also liked Chipper even though he routinely killed us.

Reactions: Seminolejon78

It is shocking with the talent they possessed through the decades yielded only a single title. It took Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Avery....crazy.

Passed away at 75. His early dementia and Lyme disease weakened his immune system to a degree that COVID just took him away.

He sure could pitch a little back in the day!
Great pitcher, and a good guy. Part of the "Amazin' Mets" in 1969. He was 25-7 that year with a 2.21 ERA. Pitched until 1986.

Add Whitey Ford to the list of the recently departed. Unbelievable three of the absolute best passing away so close together.

I was not aware Whitey Ford had died. When I was a kid, Whitey threw out the first pitch of a game I played in to kick off the season. It is kind of amazing all of those greats going so close togethe.

Reactions: ChiefWB
I was not aware Whitey Ford had died. When I was a kid, Whitey threw out the first pitch of a game I played in to kick off the season. It is kind of amazing all of those greats dieting so close togethe.
Passed this morning I believe. Part of an era when ball players were bigger than life. Phil Rizzuto and his wife came to my house when I was maybe 10 years old. These guys were royalty which is interesting considering how little money they made and the majority had offseason jobs. Then Dave Winfield happened and the game changed.

Reactions: FreeNole
Passed this morning I believe. Part of an era when ball players were bigger than life. Phil Rizzuto and his wife came to my house when I was maybe 10 years old. These guys were royalty which is interesting considering how little money they made and the majority had offseason jobs. Then Dave Winfield happened and the game changed.

This sucks.

Im a lifelong Met fan and even I liked Murphy. Also liked Chipper even though he routinely killed us.
Chipper named one of his sons Shea after he was such a Met killer in the old stadium.

I was not aware Whitey Ford had died. When I was a kid, Whitey threw out the first pitch of a game I played in to kick off the season. It is kind of amazing all of those greats going so close togethe.
Heard he was watching a Yankees game when he died. How fitting.

Reactions: FreeNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT