ADVERTISEMENT

Roberto..

noles756

Seminole Insider
Jun 26, 2007
Tampa
What's going on with him? Missed and xtra point and 2 fg in 2 games.. Rookie jitters?

A lot of pressure! They reached a bit on him. I love the kid, but it's only going to get harder to get the growing number of misses out of his head. The kicker had so few opportunities within a game to forget about the play before!

He'll be fine. He just missed on the 49 yarder. The Bucs are committed having taken him in the 2nd. He shouldn't be looking over his shoulder.

Clearly mental. I really hope he can work it out of his system, whatever the cause.

Last time I checked preseason means nothing. Nobody gets awards, doesn't count toward pro-bowl selection, doesn't count towards all-pro consideration, stats aren't part of the season, etc, etc, etc... Funny how people are trying to analyze a draft pick before it even matters. People were doing the same with Winston last year. How did everyone trying to speak before real games were played and the season was finished look after JW had 3rd best rookie QB season in NFL history?

How about waiting until the kicks matter and the season is played? Sheeeeesh....

The entire football world is WRONG...WRONG...WRONG...yes, all the hotshot reporters, commentators, most of the coaches, and gm's, etc, are totally stupid in their outlook on kickers. Most, including most on this site, think it's stupid to take a kicker as a high draft pick--yet the kicker usually scores more points than anyone else on the squad. Further, many, many games are lost on missed field goals. Having a kicker who is automatic is a HUGE advantage. Not having one who is automatic is a HUGE DISADVANTAGE. Ask Alabama and Florida what it means to not have a decent kicker, let alone a good one. And in the pros now, with the extra point moved back (and may be moved further back in future), it's more important than ever to have an outstanding kicker. Now maybe Roberto won't be that guy--but he was the greatest kicker of all-time in college, so why not take him high. It's not like any other player you take instead of him is a sure thing all-pro. People way, way undervalue kickers. FSU fans have been spoiled the last few years by having Roberto. This year, see how it feels when you hold your breath every time we line up for a kick. (by the way, we lost the Georgia Tech game because of a blocked kick). Wish the Dolphins had an automatic kicker.

The entire football world is WRONG...WRONG...WRONG...yes, all the hotshot reporters, commentators, most of the coaches, and gm's, etc, are totally stupid in their outlook on kickers. Most, including most on this site, think it's stupid to take a kicker as a high draft pick--yet the kicker usually scores more points than anyone else on the squad. Further, many, many games are lost on missed field goals. Having a kicker who is automatic is a HUGE advantage. Not having one who is automatic is a HUGE DISADVANTAGE. Ask Alabama and Florida what it means to not have a decent kicker, let alone a good one. And in the pros now, with the extra point moved back (and may be moved further back in future), it's more important than ever to have an outstanding kicker. Now maybe Roberto won't be that guy--but he was the greatest kicker of all-time in college, so why not take him high. It's not like any other player you take instead of him is a sure thing all-pro. People way, way undervalue kickers. FSU fans have been spoiled the last few years by having Roberto. This year, see how it feels when you hold your breath every time we line up for a kick. (by the way, we lost the Georgia Tech game because of a blocked kick). Wish the Dolphins had an automatic kicker.

Look I love roberto and everything, but his last year at FSU he was 50% on kicks of 40 or more yards which is not only not "automatic" but that will get you cut at the NFL level. He was probably drafted too high (like any kicker would be if they went in the first or second)

Small sample size is my guess. See if it keeps up before you worry too much. He's 3/5 and 3/4. If that pops up to 8/12 and 6/7 or something, then that's not the worst preseason (and if it pops up to 10/12 and 8/9 or so, that's even better). Not the end of the world and not something to worry about YET. Yes, it could be a bad thing, but it's still too early to tell.

He was a massive reach. Bucs kicker, after they cut the first guy, was as good as Aguayo. Dirty secret is that he got worse every year and was not elite last year, especially not by NFL standards.

Silly to say it was mistake since none of us will know for years whether it was a good pick.

Keep in mind,the NFL uses different balls for kicking. Could be a slight learning curve. Also, don't forget the year kickers had last year in the NFL. 33 yarders are hardly automatic. Easily the most extra points missed in like 40 years. The point was for it to be less automatic. Now throw in a rookie who will never get to kick an extra point from the distance most of us grew up on, and not only that, it's double the distance. New ball, further out, new holder, more pressure.

It's preseason of his rookie year. Give him a chance.

Unless you kick 70 yarders consistently, insanity to draft a K in the first two RDS.

Nugent was a bust, Jankowski has longevity but missed too many easy ones and was never even a top 3 kicker despite being taken in the first.

Janikowski will go down as the one of the greatest kickers ever. Just played on a sorry Oakland team.

College kickers are much different than pro kickers. The difference between an undrafted kicker and Roberto over the course of the season will be marginal, if at all. The Bucs wasted valuable resources to trade up to get someone who would have been available later.

Janikowski will go down as the one of the greatest kickers ever. Just played on a sorry Oakland team.

This, people forget for a few months it's a baseball field. He is the only one left that has to do that. He even complained about it.

Did aguayo ever hit clutch kicks in big games? I can recall a couple
missed but no big makes. This is a serious question, I can't remember

Did aguayo ever hit clutch kicks in big games? I can recall a couple
missed but no big makes. This is a serious question, I can't remember
Well just off the top of my head, w/out RA's 10 points against Auburn, we lose. He made 2 FG and 4 xp.

Unless you kick 70 yarders consistently, insanity to draft a K in the first two RDS.

Nugent was a bust, Jankowski has longevity but missed too many easy ones and was never even a top 3 kicker despite being taken in the first.
You must mean Sea Bass isn't one of the top 3 of all time. That makes sense. But there were multiple years he was one of the top 3 kickers in the NFL. So if that is what you are referring to, you are completely wrong.

He hasnt had many "game winners" but he had several clutch kicks over the years.

First of all, I don't think he's working as hard on his game as he did in Tally. You can see by looking at him on the field that he's gained some weight. Wouldn't shock me if he's about 10 lbs heavier.

I also agree with another poster who said he got worse every year in Tally. Looking at missed kicks, this is 100% accurate.

I couldn't believe he missed that first FG. Looked like crap. He never missed one like that at FSU.

There is big transition from college to NFL. The goalposts are much more narrow, the footballs are more narrow (designed for passing) and there is more pressure on the kicker because of the size and speed of the players. As a result, I am not surprised that any rookie kicker would take time to adjust. Add to this, the fact that all the "experts" opined the Bucs really reached to draft Roberto and there has to be a ton of pressure on the young man. I am sure this preseason will give Roberto time to adjust to the changes and he will have a productive rookie year.

Last time I checked preseason means nothing. Nobody gets awards, doesn't count toward pro-bowl selection, doesn't count towards all-pro consideration, stats aren't part of the season, etc, etc, etc... Funny how people are trying to analyze a draft pick before it even matters. People were doing the same with Winston last year. How did everyone trying to speak before real games were played and the season was finished look after JW had 3rd best rookie QB season in NFL history?

How about waiting until the kicks matter and the season is played? Sheeeeesh....

Means nothing? Haha, tell that to players trying to make a roster spot and the staff that is evaluating players for only 55 spots. Yeah, it means nothing.

He's got a hot girlfriend now, things change.

Funny how that work$, huh?

Wishing him all of the best. It's a real pressure cooker being a kicker in the NFL. Add his draft status, and that just heightens the expectations. Best of luck to this great Nole.

Look I love roberto and everything, but his last year at FSU he was 50% on kicks of 40 or more yards which is not only not "automatic" but that will get you cut at the NFL level. He was probably drafted too high (like any kicker would be if they went in the first or second)

Didn't we only attempt like 4 kicks over 40 and half of them were over 50? I don't see an issue with Roberto last year. I remember one miss that was shocking and uncharacteristic for him. He also got robbed by the refs again on one of those 'we need laser beams' kicks.

I love how the kicker gets blamed for a 50+ yarder that is blocked.

Didn't we only attempt like 4 kicks over 40 and half of them were over 50? I don't see an issue with Roberto last year. I remember one miss that was shocking and uncharacteristic for him. He also got robbed by the refs again on one of those 'we need laser beams' kicks.

I love how the kicker gets blamed for a 50+ yarder that is blocked.

No he was 5-10 on kicks of 40 or more and 7 of those were between 40-49 and 3 were over 50

This post is completely idiotic. No surprise Wolverfan liked it.
What do you disagree with?

I never thought of Janikowski as a top 3 kicker and I think its dumb to draft a K in the first two rounds. If you disagree, fine, but I'm entitled to my opinion. At least provide an argument as to why my opinion is wrong.

There is big transition from college to NFL. The goalposts are much more narrow, the footballs are more narrow (designed for passing) and there is more pressure on the kicker because of the size and speed of the players. As a result, I am not surprised that any rookie kicker would take time to adjust. Add to this, the fact that all the "experts" opined the Bucs really reached to draft Roberto and there has to be a ton of pressure on the young man. I am sure this preseason will give Roberto time to adjust to the changes and he will have a productive rookie year.

Um, they changed the goal posts in college to the same width as the pros like 25 years ago.

Reactions: theFSUman
You must mean Sea Bass isn't one of the top 3 of all time. That makes sense. But there were multiple years he was one of the top 3 kickers in the NFL. So if that is what you are referring to, you are completely wrong.
I can say you are wrong too. It's a matter of opinion.

He made ONE pro bowl (as an alternate)

Wouldn't a top 3 kicker for "multiple years" have made more than one Pro Bowl?

Many on this board can't be objective when discussing FSU guys.

He has had a good career and great longevity though.

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE
Means nothing? Haha, tell that to players trying to make a roster spot and the staff that is evaluating players for only 55 spots. Yeah, it means nothing.

Since when does a WR, QB, TE, OL, DL, LB, DB, RB trying to make the team mean anything related to a kicker and his miscues that mean nothing in preseason? Preseason is when you can miss a FG, miss an XP, throw INTs, fumble etc, etc, etc and learn from your mistakes while they don't hurt your team in the race to the playoffs during regular season. Wake up bud...

If you actually listen to Jason Licht and his logic for drafting Aguayo, you might actually understand where he's coming from and why he did what he did.

Calling the pick insanity is a bit much. I would agree with the use of insanity if it was 1st round, but the Bucs lost nothing from picking Aguayo where they picked him. They started and ended the draft with the same number of picks. People saying they lost a draft pick are wrong since they gained a draft pick in the VH3 trade and then used said draft pick to get Aguayo less than 10 picks earlier than they would have if they waited for him with their 3rd round pick. Tampa was going to pick him with their 3rd round pick. They had an extra 4th round pick and used it to move up. Go listen to Licht break down his reasoning and it makes sense. Jason Licht has proven himself in the draft. People trying to question a man who gets paid millions of dollars to do his job before the regular season even starts and the games matter is just comical. Let the dude play out his contract before you call a pick anything. That's how it works. He hasn't even played game 1 and you think you know the pick wasn't good. What are the lottery numbers for next week please? Thanks.

Reactions: jgking83
If you actually listen to Jason Licht and his logic for drafting Aguayo, you might actually understand where he's coming from and why he did what he did.

Calling the pick insanity is a bit much. I would agree with the use of insanity if it was 1st round, but the Bucs lost nothing from picking Aguayo where they picked him. They started and ended the draft with the same number of picks. People saying they lost a draft pick are wrong since they gained a draft pick in the VH3 trade and then used said draft pick to get Aguayo less than 10 picks earlier than they would have if they waited for him with their 3rd round pick. Tampa was going to pick him with their 3rd round pick. They had an extra 4th round pick and used it to move up. Go listen to Licht break down his reasoning and it makes sense. Jason Licht has proven himself in the draft. People trying to question a man who gets paid millions of dollars to do his job before the regular season even starts and the games matter is just comical. Let the dude play out his contract before you call a pick anything. That's how it works. He hasn't even played game 1 and you think you know the pick wasn't good. What are the lottery numbers for next week please? Thanks.

They lost the pic that they used to pick him tho. You can add a really good talent with a second round pick and that team has a bunch of holes and can use all the second round picks they can get. Couple that with the fact that agauyo got worse every year while he was at fsu, and went 50% on kicks of 40 or more last year and its safe to disagree with them taking him that high.

I can say you are wrong too. It's a matter of opinion.

He made ONE pro bowl (as an alternate)

Wouldn't a top 3 kicker for "multiple years" have made more than one Pro Bowl?

Many on this board can't be objective when discussing FSU guys.

He has had a good career and great longevity though.
Go and look at his all-time statistics relative to others. Especially field goals over 50 yards. All despite being on a team that has been pretty bad over the years. Don't tell me it's solely due to longevity because plenty of kickers have been around as long as him.

Me debating this has nothing to do with not being objective. His statistics are pretty damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT