ADVERTISEMENT

runners in Tally

jato32

Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2008
My fiancé will be coming up with me for the N.C. State game, and she is training for the Marine marathon in Washington D.C. in Oct. Any suggestions where she can do a training run where there is not a lot of traffic and some good hills?

Miccosukee Greenway would be my first choice, very nice trails with plenty of hills. Tom Brown park is another nice run, and it can tie into the Greenway for bigger mileage. For a short, but hilly and beautiful run try the sinkhole trail south of town off if Crawfordville hwy. Only about a 4 mile loop though.

The Tallahassee area is far and away the best place to run in the state, and o e of the best areas in the entire southeast.

Also, Appalachee Regional park is really fun, she can run on FSUs 8k cross country course, which is considered one of the best in the country. There is a hill there called the wall where many of the local high school teams do hill work. It's a loop, so you can go around multiple times to get miles in. Might be a race there Saturday morning but will be open on Sunday.

Last edited:
Not sure if the road/trail surface matters, but a lot of people training for long-distance running park at Bradley's Country Store and run the dirt plantation roads up into Georgia. Barely any cars (or anyone, period), steady hills, and scenic.

Miccosukee Greenway would be my first choice, very nice trails with plenty of hills. Tom Brown park is another nice run, and it can tie into the Greenway for bigger mileage. For a short, but hilly and beautiful run try the sinkhole trail south of town off if Crawfordville hwy. Only about a 4 mile loop though.

The Tallahassee area is far and away the best place to run in the state, and o e of the best areas in the entire southeast.
Thank you

Not sure if the road/trail surface matters, but a lot of people training for long-distance running park at Bradley's Country Store and run the dirt plantation roads up into Georgia. Barely any cars (or anyone, period), steady hills, and scenic.
Thank you

Also, Appalachee Regional park is really fun, she can run on FSUs 8k cross country course, which is considered one of the best in the country. There is a hill there called the wall where many of the local high school teams do hill work. It's a loop, so you can go around multiple times to get miles in. Might be a race there Saturday morning but will be open on Sunday.

I agree this poster these are great trails to run. Maclay Gardens State PArk also has some great running trails with good changes in elevations:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/s...ake Overstreet Trails_03.14.19_FINALPROOF.pdf

The Appalachee Regional park is designed for state and national races. It is the best cross country facility in the area (maybe the state).

My fiancé will be coming up with me for the N.C. State game, and she is training for the Marine marathon in Washington D.C. in Oct. Any suggestions where she can do a training run where there is not a lot of traffic and some good hills?
My wife and I are training for it as well...I told myself I would never do this again, but she roped me into it.

This is one of the most frequently used long-distance training circuits for the local Tallahassee running groups.

Reactions: jato32
Looking at the satellite image. Do you know if the dirt roads are named?

Some are and some aren't, but a typical route is Old Centerville Road north-ish until the pavement ends and it turns to clay, then just keep on as far as you feel like going.

St Marks Trail south of town is another good spot for a long distance run, but both this and the Bradley's roads are mostly flat. The good hill runs are all much more urban road/sidewalk, just east of the center of town.

Old Centerville road is the name of the road near Bradley’s. It’s 6.25 miles to the Georgia state line. You can turn west on to Sunny Hill Road at about 6.2 miles in. Off of Sunny Hill Road at approximately 8 miles is Foshalee Road that heads north for just over 3 more miles before dead ending in to Metcalf Road. The majority of Old Centerville Road is clay and rolling hills shaded by a canopy road. The first 2 plus miles from Bradley’s are paved. You can park at Bradley’s country store near the picnic tables under the oak trees. Beware of the deer flies... enjoy

Reactions: tri10806 and jato32
That’s a good one! I did 68 marathons (all over US and Canada) in 18 years - stopped running them in Cleveland 5 years ago. The Marine Marathon was one of my favorites. Wish her good luck and tell her to enjoy the sights ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT