ADVERTISEMENT

SEC to announce future scheduling rules early next month

northvanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 2, 2003
This post has incorrect math and will be corrected. At the SEC meetings in a few weeks, they will discuss future scheduling rules. I don't know if a final decision about them will be announced. Here is the danger for the ACC.

Currently, ignoring OOC games, the SEC plays 112 conference games a year (14 teams X 8 games each). But CBS gets the top tier games over a 14 week period. To be conservative, and since I am ignoring OOC games, I will reduce the 112 by 8 to arrive at 104 games...the current number of SEC conference games broadcast currently by ESPN. In 2024 when ESPN gets the SEC Game of the Week, ESPN of course will have the full 112 conference only games. When OU and Texas join, if there is an 8 game schedule the number of SEC games jumps to 128 (16 X 8). There is a possibility that the SEC will go to a 9 game schedule, and then the total conference games goes to 144 (16 X 9). So at a minimum, over a few years, the number of SEC conference games that ESPN will televise will at least jump from 104 to 128, and could jump to 144...and add SEC OOC games with the SEC as the home team to that equation.

Do I need to further expound as to what this means for time slots for ACC games?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News