ADVERTISEMENT

"Secrets" to improvement in '18

seminole72

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2007
North Texas
I've read a number of threads recently that begin w/ something like, "why should I think FSU will be better in '18?" or "is it realistic to think we can have fewer than 4 losses?" etc. Like everyone else, I can't reliably predict the future w/ much accuracy, but I stumbled across this tid bit and thought I'd share.

" According to FEI rankings, Florida State’s special teams ranked 67th in efficiency last season. The unit’s kick return efficiency ranked 53rd, and their punt return efficiency 112th. While FSU’s kickoff efficiency was a respectable 26th, their punt efficiency ranked 107th. The Seminoles’ average starting field position on offense, measured in yards to the end zone, ranked 81st. Their defensive starting field position? 101st. That left FSU’s average net starting field position ranked an unacceptable 90th in the country."

We had a parttime ST coach last season and a HC that insisted on starting McFadden as a PR through the first 5 games. If we improve just 25% in our net starting field position from 2017, the value to the production to both the offense and defense will be exponential. Improve to being in the top 35 and we win 10 games. Have the ST perform among the top 35 nationally and combine that with just a 20% improvement in OL and LB play and we'll be hard to beat on any given Saturday (or Monday ;))

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News