ADVERTISEMENT

So a player doesn't even have to test positive to be quarantined for 2 weeks.

That’s everybody man. If you come in contact with somebody who tests positive, you have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Reactions: rowdienole
That’s everybody man. If you come in contact with somebody who tests positive, you have to quarantine for 2 weeks.
Not here. That wouldn’t make any sense of the test is negative.

It’s because of the virus’s incubation period-the time between being exposed to the virus and when symptoms start. ... By setting 14 days for the self-quarantine period, officials are allowing extra time for people to be certain they haven't been infected and can't spread the virus to others.
Not my words by the way.

Here to help. For starters, a little more context from the original poster would help. Initially, a 2 week quarantine after coming in contact with someone who was positive was recommended because tests were not easily accessible. Now that more rapid tests are available, the best practice after coming in contact with a carrier would be to quarantine as much as possible and get tested. However, the incubation stage can last 3+ days. So if you got tested immediately, the test might return a false negative because the virus hasn't had enough time to develop and be present in your mucus(swab test).

If we're talking college football players, the quarantine period would likely depend on their access to rapid testing. If they have access - FSU does - they would likely have to quarantine for the length of the incubation period and then return as long as they test negative. So we're probably talking about approximately 5 days or so.

Jimbo's leftover GPS system could come in handy for contact tracing purposes. I would have them wear the GPS vests any time they're working out/practicing. Then if you have a positive, you can look back at which players were near that guy. Not sure if this is possible with the current GPS system, but its essentially what the NBA is doing with GPS wrist bands.

Last edited:
Here to help. For starters, a little more context from the original poster would help. Initially, a 2 week quarantine after coming in contact with someone who was positive was recommended because tests were not easily accessible. Now that more rapid tests are available, the best practice after coming in contact with a carrier would be to quarantine as much as possible and get tested. However, the incubation stage can last 3+ days. So if you got tested immediately, the test might return a false negative because the virus hasn't had enough time to develop and be present in your mucus(swab test).

If we're talking college football players, the quarantine period would likely depend on their access to rapid testing. If they have access - FSU does - they would likely have to quarantine for the length of the incubation period and then return as long as they test negative. So we're probably talking about approximately 5 days or so.

Jimbo's leftover GPS system could come in handy for contact tracing purposes. I would have them wear the GPS vests any time they're working out/practicing. Then if you have a positive, you can look back at which players were near that guy. Not sure if this is possible with the current GPS system, but its essentially what the NBA is doing with GPS wrist bands.
FSU and all ACC teams and opponents must quarantine for 14 days if they’ve been contact traced to a positive individual. By ACC rules, they can’t test out of quarantine. If a player tests positive, he is immediately quarantined for 10 days and then is out two more for health testing before coming back (assuming a mild case). The team will be tested 3 times a week beginning this week. The final test is Friday morning with results coming back before they take the field to play.

Man... i didn't know the ACC ruled they couldn't test out of the 14 day quarantine. There could be a lot of games canceled/postponed if thats the case. Tennessee had to cancel a scrimmage because they had so many in quarantine they couldn't field an offense. Its hard to imagine this won't happen in season.

Reactions: Old School Nole Fan
FSU and all ACC teams and opponents must quarantine for 14 days if they’ve been contact traced to a positive individual. By ACC rules, they can’t test out of quarantine. If a player tests positive, he is immediately quarantined for 10 days and then is out two more for health testing before coming back (assuming a mild case). The team will be tested 3 times a week beginning this week. The final test is Friday morning with results coming back before they take the field to play.

Yea I get that. But with the new testing capability it sounds like this rule is no longer necessary. We can whether or not those we suspect may have contracted the virus actually did or not much sooner now. We can also confirm false positives much quicker now.

Yea I get that. But with the new testing capability it sounds like this rule is no longer necessary. We can whether or not those we suspect may have contracted the virus actually did or not much sooner now. We can also confirm false positives much quicker now.
I understand that completely, but what I mentioned is what we are doing and what all ACC schools are doing.

If you’ve been in close contact with a diagnosed person, CDC guidelines set forth you are to quarantine 14 days. That’s not an ACC thing.

Reactions: Seminolejon78
I suppose they could just say they are peacefully protesting and it’d be fine.

That’s absolutely asinine. The vast majority of people would test positive within 3-5 days of exposure. The 14 day crap are extreme exceptions. This is the honor system anyway, so guess what? Any smart team isn’t going to announce a thing. Potentially being in contact with someone is very subjective anyway. MLB has mostly gone with 3 days. When a team has a positive test they shut them down for 3 days.

If you’ve been in close contact with a diagnosed person, CDC guidelines set forth you are to quarantine 14 days. That’s not an ACC thing.
Close contact with a diagnosed person is a reasonable standard. "Any contact" is a ridiculous standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT