ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer game thread (FINAL: No. 1 FSU-0 No. 15 SCAR-0)

bryanscho

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2008
I'm not in a position to watch it. Hopefully some of you can post an update every once in awhile?

I missed the start but tuned in about halfway through the first half. FSU controlled much of possession and outshot South Carolina 8-2 but nothing to show for it on the scoreboard, 0-0 at the break. Especially impressed by Jenna Nighswonger, who had four of FSU's shots and two of the shots on goal.

USC had a few chances on the counterattack but feels like FSU is far closer to breaking this open.

Reactions: bryanscho
I really like the looks of Olvia Garcia up top on the Left.
Surprised not to see Horton or Zipay, especially Horton.

Reactions: FLSnole
Some nervy moments and bad giveaways from FSU early in the second half. Gamecocks have had more of the ball and better chances but still scoreless in the 57th minute.

Nighswonger rockets one off the crossbar. FSU offense starting to come alive a bit but South Carolina having its chances as well. Still scoreless just short of the 60-minute mark.

FSU has taken control back after South Carolina was threatening. Few real chances the last couple of minutes. Nighswonger up to 7 shots, 3 shots on goal.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Lol announcers complimenting the SC goalie for fumbling an easy cross saying how athletic the Gk is

FSU begins its season with a scoreless draw at No. 12 South Carolina despite outshooting USC 18-7. Jenna Nighswonger had eight shots, three on goal, but FSU lacked that finishing touch in the final third. Three saves in goal from Cristina Roque to keep the Gamecocks off the board.

Noles had the better chances, but sloppy and needed to be a bit better in the final third. Not a bad result on the road though against Top 15 team without two players and still building chemistry.

Next: Sunday (Aug. 21) at UGA. 1 PM on ESPNU.

Agree wirh Ariya. Encouraged by the result and would have posted much more had I known this thread was here! Amazed that none of Jenna’s lasers found the back of the net. Thankful as always that Roque’s on our side and looking forward to the next.

Go Noles!

Draw away game one against a top 12 team I’ll take it. Need to clean some stuff up though. Movement off the ball was shakey
Ragged play.................but there is something to work with. As usual will have to play their way into game shape and getting those passes/movements down. Seemed to be a lot there, but just not used to playing with each other yet. Ref was a little yellow happy against us, yet left a lot of stuff go with no-call.

Here's the game story from FSU's season opener

Jenna was the only one on offense that looked dangerous - I'm hoping other people step up more as the season progresses. I realize we lost an absolute ton of talent and it's going to take time for everyone to gel - just hoping they can do that quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT