ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice notes: April 6 (6:47 UPDATE ... WITH FISHER VIDEO)

Ben_Jones

Contributor
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Warchant TV: Watch Jimbo Fisher's post-scrimmage interview

Today was the most despondent we've heard Jimbo Fisher all spring. After scrimmages he often waits until the next practice to offer a review so he doesn't go overboard about how great it was or how terrible it was until he's seen the film. He did not wait to offer an opinion today.

"I liked the first scrimmage better," he said. "Didn't particularly like this one on either side. There were a bunch of guys out there who were trying to endure it. Picked their moments and played hard but no consistency. The competition wasn't like it was in the first scrimmage. Guys just trying to get through the scrimmage on both sides of the ball."

It didn't get better. "Need to grow up," he said. "A bunch of young guys think they're real good and they're not close. Got ability, got to learn to play with intangibles. A little bit soft as a team overall, both sides." Jalen Ramsey also said the team played soft when we talked to them later.

Asked Jimbo if anyone played well, and he said no "Don't search for anything," he said. In a later question, he said Jalen Ramsey had the intensity he wanted and Dalvin Cook tried to get some guys going, but it was difficult for Cook to do while wearing a blue noncontact jersey. Dalvin will be limited on Saturday in the spring game.

On the injury front, Nile Lawrence-Stample was out today. He suffered a concussion while tackling a wide receiver. A few other players should be back soon. Chad Mavety and Derrick Kelly should be ready on Wednesday. Mavin Saunders was limited today on downfield stuff with a hamstring injury, but did blocking work. Ja'Vonn Harrison apparently missed a day or two with a concussion but Jimbo said he was back today. Jacob Pugh should be back on Wednesday too.

More Jimbo: "You can't play the way they played. Up and down, pick your moments. You don't play that way. That's what losing teams do."

If you want to find something positive, Jimbo said Cason Beatty has had a good spring overall and continued to improve. "Just keep practicing and doing well. He grinded it out. He's kicking the ball really well, now. Very consistent."

We mentioned a few practices ago that De'Andre Johnson was working with the second team at quarterback. Jimbo said today that John Franklin is the second team quarterback, but they're putting Johnson and Cosentino in there at times to get a better evaluation of them. "You can't judge those guys unless they're in the game with quality people," he said. "And see where they're at mentally to see what they can do. We're mixing all those guys in there to get them quality reps with twos, as many as we possibly can so we can judge them and see where they're at."

Jimbo's final comment on the day: "The other day, we made mistakes in that scrimmage, but we played reckless. Saturday, we practiced, it was guys flying around the ball playing. There were mistakes but there was an intensity. I didn't feel the intensity today like I wanted and that's what's got me. You can't play football without passion and intensity. Guys were just trying to get through in a weird way and you just can't tolerate that. It's been there. Saturday was a heck of a practice. These guys have to learn, every time you come out you've got to do it. They'll learn. They're young. First time we've had that too, so we'll see."Going to get cracking on a scrimmage report for you all now.

Our open period today was a little shorter than usual as FSU went in full pads before the final scrimmage leading into Saturday's Garnet & Gold game. I made sure to gather some notes, but it's not quite to the extent we've had on some other days where we were allowed to hang around longer.

Injuries: Rather than list all 20+ guys who are out again today, I'll give you the updates to keep things clean. Calvin Brewton was sitting out today, while Mavin Saunders and Ryan Izzo were both back at practice. The other guys sitting out can be found on the position-by-position list on Saturday.

Don't know if I've ever mentioned this specifically before, but it's weird to watch Roberto Aguayo in practice sometimes. He misses kicks - often. Today he missed on a 38-yarder that went right. Would have been a routine kick in a game, so it's really strange to see a guy who's so automatic in pressure situations to miss so often in practice. Totally different experience.

On the other side of the kicking game, looked like Cason Beatty boomed a couple of punts. It's hard to tell distance while standing at field level, but it must have gone almost 60 yards.

Ermon Lane was taking some of the punt returns. Don't think I've seen that this spring.

The kick coverage unit will look very different when the injured guys come back and the freshmen arrive, but it's a pretty fearsome group right now. Jalen Ramsey is often the first man to reach the returner. Derwin James is on the kick coverage team, and so is Tyrell Lyons and a few of the other faster guys on defense who can still deliver hits. The second team, which had more offensive guys, included Travis Rudolph and George Campbell. Wouldn't count on seeing Travis Rudolph cover kicks in games this fall.
That's it for now. Practice tends to end a little late on scrimmage days, so we might not have an update for you all until after 7:00.
This post was edited on 4/6 6:48 PM by Ben_Jones

This post was edited on 4/6 7:22 PM by IraSchoffel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News