ADVERTISEMENT

St Johns police successfully stop suicide by murdering man in his own bed

Hope they hung on to the mattress, order a private autopsy, and get in touch with a good ambulance chaser.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This happened in World Golf Village. Supposedly they're still investigating what happened but the initial story was the SJSO felt threatened by the guy and he had a huge knife in his hand.

This happened in World Golf Village. Supposedly they're still investigating what happened but the initial story was the SJSO felt threatened by the guy and he had a huge knife in his hand.

How I imagine it went down.

Concerned Girlfriend to 911 Operator - "My boyfriend is drunk and has a knife and he's threatening to kill himself with it!"

911 Operator to Concerned Girlfriend - "Don't worry we're sending over our best and brightest to make sure everything is ok."

911 Operator to Average LEO - "Perp has a huge knife"

Average LEO to 911 Operator - "Yep, taking him down".

Average LEO to himself in C-Zar from Kroll Show Voice while shooting guns - "Blap Blap Blap Blap Blap"

Average LEO to 911 Operator - "Done"

How I imagine it went down.

Concerned Girlfriend to 911 Operator - "My boyfriend is drunk and has a knife and he's threatening to kill himself with it!"

911 Operator to Concerned Girlfriend - "Don't worry we're sending over our best and brightest to make sure everything is ok."

911 Operator to Average LEO - "Perp has a huge knife"

Average LEO to 911 Operator - "Yep, taking him down".

Average LEO to himself in C-Zar from Kroll Show Voice while shooting guns - "Blap Blap Blap Blap Blap"

Average LEO to 911 Operator - "Done"

I have no idea how it went down but the SJSO doesn't have a reputation for being trigger happy. It will be interesting to see what results are produced from their investigation.

I have no idea how it went down but the SJSO doesn't have a reputation for being trigger happy. It will be interesting to see what results are produced from their investigation.

Another report I saw said that a passerby stated the police entered the room and immediately opened fire seconds into it. Considering the parents said all of the blood was on his bed it makes sense to me that they entered saw the knife and immediately blew him alway. Just like the guy in Walmart with the toy gun.

For some reason it's blocking me from posting the quote, but there's a Jacksonville.com article which says that the girlfriend who reported him being suicidal and drunk met the two LEOs outside of the house and told them he was inside with a knife threatening to kill himself. They went inside and seconds later opened fire because he had a "sword like knife" (aka it was a typical machete, they showed pics).

So rather than attempt to talk with him and bringing in crisis counselors knowing there was no one in the house other than the suicidal man, they just burst in and shot him.

And interestingly enough, that was the second time in a week that St Johns LEOs killed someone after a woman called in saying the victim was suicidal.

So the real problem here is nosey women.

;p

Reactions: KevNole
YES

7ia3v.gif

Is that his picture at top of the article? If so, it seems police aren't just killing AAs for no reason.

I'm sure the "investigation" will show they were justified in their use of force from a procedural analysis. The question is whether they could have done things differently if their main objective had been to save his life. I know all the arguments about they can only shoot to kill, these are high stress split second decisions, etc... but if they were confronting someone they loved or even cared about, I'm guessing they might at least contemplate breaking policy and putting one in the thigh.

Reactions: MathisJones
This wasn’t the first time that law enforcement in the area had been involved in a fatal shooting. One of the two officers that went into Justin Way’s home, Kyle Braig, was involved in a fatal shooting with a knife-wielding man five months ago. A few days after Way was killed, another suicidal man was injured by St Johns County deputies.

On Facebook, Jonas Carballosa, the second deputy involved in the Justin Way shooting, once posted the following quote: “Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun.”

Conclusion: Don't call the cops unless you want deadly force to be the outcome.

Seems like one of the most effective ways to commit suicide is simply to just call the cops while wielding something/anything that could be construed as mildly threatening. Hell the plastic gun that came with Duck Hunt might even suffice.

Cops could be like the Uber for suicide. All the certainty of death without the expense and hassle of going out to buy your own gun.

And interestingly enough, that was the second time in a week that St Johns LEOs killed someone after a woman called in saying the victim was suicidal.

So the real problem here is nosey women.

;p

The other shooting that week happened in St Augustine Beach. The difference in that situation was that the man who was shot fired off a couple of rounds with an M1 rifle from his doorway....at the cops. According to the news, he was severely injured but not killed. He did die a couple of days later.

Last edited:
I'm sure the "investigation" will show they were justified in their use of force from a procedural analysis. The question is whether they could have done things differently if their main objective had been to save his life. I know all the arguments about they can only shoot to kill, these are high stress split second decisions, etc... but if they were confronting someone they loved or even cared about, I'm guessing they might at least contemplate breaking policy and putting one in the thigh.

Can't disagree with that. They don't have many officer-involved shootings in St Johns County so each one will and should be scrutinized. In 2014, I think there were less than 5.

We need to develop a combination flash grenade/Dementor Wasp carrier that the cops can throw into a house. It'll explode and release dozens of the wasps, stinging the suicidal subject into submission. Then the EMTs can peacefully retrieve him and revive him with Dementor Wasp antivenom.

The problem is nobody ever thinks outside the box.

This wasn’t the first time that law enforcement in the area had been involved in a fatal shooting. One of the two officers that went into Justin Way’s home, Kyle Braig, was involved in a fatal shooting with a knife-wielding man five months ago. A few days after Way was killed, another suicidal man was injured by St Johns County deputies.

On Facebook, Jonas Carballosa, the second deputy involved in the Justin Way shooting, once posted the following quote: “Most people respect the badge. Everyone respects the gun.”

Conclusion: Don't call the cops unless you want deadly force to be the outcome.

I remember the shooting they're referencing from 5 months earlier. That happened on the other side of 95 from where I live. The guy was trying to break into his ex-wife's house and was armed with a knife. The two kids were at home with a babysitter and this whackjob was threatening them. He had a previous record of resisting arrest and wouldn't drop the knife. The female deputy was the one who fired at him.

I'm not a huge fan of LEOs and the shortcomings they're usually compensating for but I'm also not one to automatically think they are jack-booted thugs either.

Last edited:
Anytime I question to myself who the media and government is playing to with its propaganda, I just check in here.

Reactions: lurker2001

If their lives are in danger, no they shouldn't just aim and shoot someone in the thigh. They should only be be shooting someone once they determine deadly force is needed. If it is not needed, then they shouldn't be using their gun at all. Use a taser or baton or something else to take the person down if lives are not endangered.

Not all cops are like Mel Gibson in lethal weapon that have pinpoint accuracy with their shots, especially if a suspect is moving and the police officer is under intense pressure.

I believe the legal threshold for using deadly force is when a perp poses a life-threatening risk to the officer or others. Allowing officers to shoot in the leg or to wound would lower that threshold.

It would be a bad idea because it would give the police permission to take that gun out of the holster under many more circumstances and I really don't think we want that. A shoot to wound policy could lead to more unintentional police killings by expanding the range of circumstances in which an officer would be allowed to use their guns.

Cops like to use their guns. That's why they became cops. They spend lots of time at the range. They work in a "macho" environment where someone is frequently asserting physical dominance over someone else. It's a combative gig. If you are dumb enough to give a cop half a reason to shoot you, you will probably get shot. Sounds like this guy provided (at least) the needed half-reason.

Good to know we h

If their lives are in danger, no they shouldn't just aim and shoot someone in the thigh. They should only be be shooting someone once they determine deadly force is needed. If it is not needed, then they shouldn't be using their gun at all. Use a taser or baton or something else to take the person down if lives are not endangered.

Not all cops are like Mel Gibson in lethal weapon that have pinpoint accuracy with their shots, especially if a suspect is moving and the police officer is under intense pressure.

I believe the legal threshold for using deadly force is when a perp poses a life-threatening risk to the officer or others. Allowing officers to shoot in the leg or to wound would lower that threshold.

It would be a bad idea because it would give the police permission to take that gun out of the holster under many more circumstances and I really don't think we want that. A shoot to wound policy could lead to more unintentional police killings by expanding the range of circumstances in which an officer would be allowed to use their guns.

Nonlethal alternatives would certainly be preferable to what the "suspect" ended up experiencing.

in fairness to the police, it's way easier to just shoot a man in his bed than to read a book to try and better understand mental illness and depression. 'Merica!
That truly seems to be America's prevailing attitude toward mental health -- including the "Merica" boast regarding our prideful lack of empathy for those suffering.

In Houston, they like to shoot double amputees in their wheelchairs. Of course, no charges because the cops were justified because the DOUBLE AMPUTEE IN A WHEELCHAIR WAS WAIVING A PEN IN A VIOLENT MANNER....

HPD has a long history of being "aggressive"...lots of bodies in the bayous.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/HPD-officer-fatally-shoots-man-in-wheelchair-3885848.php

This is pretty outrageous, but, again, not totally surprising. Cops love to shoot their guns. Doesn't take much to set some of them off. The line between the cops and the criminals is a thin one.

In Houston, they like to shoot double amputees in their wheelchairs. Of course, no charges because the cops were justified because the DOUBLE AMPUTEE IN A WHEELCHAIR WAS WAIVING A PEN IN A VIOLENT MANNER....

HPD has a long history of being "aggressive"...lots of bodies in the bayous.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...-fatally-shoots-man-in-wheelchair-3885848.php

Jebus!

I would hope the alleged law enforcement officers got the death penalty for that ridiculous and pointless murder. But I'm sure they at most got a slap on the wrist. And I don't mean criminal charges I mean a small note in their employment file. "Bob likes to shoot people more than average."

Nothing happened. News reported it one time and nothing else. The police, city hall and the Houston Chronicle basically protect each other. Very little investigative reporting these days. For example, a police officer committed suicide in the parking lot at HPD main office. There was a suggestion of that he was involved in overtime fraud. Nothing else was reported. You had a cop that shot himself in the head at work and nothing was done to investigate it.

This is pretty outrageous, but, again, not totally surprising. Cops love to shoot their guns. Doesn't take much to set some of them off. The line between the cops and the criminals is a thin one.

This type of hyperbole is part of the problem. Cops really don't like to shoot their guns, most hate it. This is going to seem like I am trivializing the issue, but I am not. Cops hate paperwork. The amount of crap that an officer has to go through post shooting is prohibitive.

This is anecdotal evidence, but I have spent my life around LEOs. Probably close to 3000 or so that I have had personal contact with. I can count on one hand the number that I have thought "Damn that idiot can't walk and chew bubblegum, how did they get a gun?"

This type of hyperbole is part of the problem. Cops really don't like to shoot their guns, most hate it. This is going to seem like I am trivializing the issue, but I am not. Cops hate paperwork. The amount of crap that an officer has to go through post shooting is prohibitive.

This is anecdotal evidence, but I have spent my life around LEOs. Probably close to 3000 or so that I have had personal contact with. I can count on one hand the number that I have thought "Damn that idiot can't walk and chew bubblegum, how did they get a gun?"

Like you I've spent my life around LEOs, grew up around them (dad is retired LEO) and our experiences are fairly different. I've met a lot of great ones, more than bad ones but I've also met a lot that I'd be nervous to be around in different circumstances.

Cops hate paperwork. The amount of crap that an officer has to go through post shooting is prohibitive.
Is this what's really stopping them from popping a few randos? The nuisance of "hey if I shoot this dude, I'm gonna fill out another friggin TPS report, meh."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT