ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming Devices

Roni-Nole

All-ACC
Jan 16, 2008
Hey fellow Noles! Looking for some advice on a few streaming devices for YouTube Tv with an older Vizio SmartTv (non smartcast). Looks like my only options are Roku and Google Chromecast with Amazon Fire Tv being added sometime this year. If anyone uses Roku or Chromecast would love to hear your pros and cons! Thanks guys!

Reactions: ranger43
I have used all but the Amazon fire stick, and have found Roku easiest to use. If you get a two month subscription to Sling, you can get a Roku device free. It’s best benefit is a single point of access for many online services like YouTube, Netflix, Google Play, ESPN, and Hulu.

Last edited:
Reactions: iowanole1
We have all them but the YouTube thing. I enjoy my Apple TV, but I’ve actually been using the Amazon Fire more. Roku never clicked with us. I’m not sure why.

for some reason the Roku remote goes dead faster than any other remote I've ever had. That's the only thing I got. (don't have youtube tv)

Use Netflix, Amazon Fire stick, Chromecast and YoutubeTV. Love cutting the cord and have not looked back in almost two years.

We use Chromecast, but only to send things to our TV from our laptops etc. But we kept DIRECTV since we use it when we camp with our RV and for tailgating with our automatic satellite dish. But Chromecast works fine for us in the house to send stuff to your TV

Second or third a Roku. You can stream all sorts of services and channels. You are not limited. Have 3 Roku's inside and 1 on the deck TV.

I just started up with Youtube TV and ordered two more Roku units, later this week will cut Comcast back to phone and internet only, @240 mbps, plus a new rental modem with unlimited data.

We will be saving about $120 per month and I like the Roku/YouTube TV setup better than cable.

To be honest Chromecast would be a pain in the ARSE if you're using it as your normal television setup. I would highly recommend a Roku Ultra or a Roku TV (I got a 43inch 4K TCL Roku TV from Costco for $189).

I tried to cut the cord from Comcast today and only keep phone and internet service. They quoted me a price of $135.00 for the two. $100.00 was for internet. If I add YouTube TV for $50.00 a month, then I will be paying the same or more for less channels with the only benefit being I will have the ACCN. Any suggestions on getting the ACCN while still enjoying the benefits of cord cutting would be appreciated.

I tried to cut the cord from Comcast today and only keep phone and internet service. They quoted me a price of $135.00 for the two. $100.00 was for internet. If I add YouTube TV for $50.00 a month, then I will be paying the same or more for less channels with the only benefit being I will have the ACCN. Any suggestions on getting the ACCN while still enjoying the benefits of cord cutting would be appreciated.
Why are you paying $100 for just internet? That should be in the $60-70 range. Also why do you need a home phone?

Good question about the phone. I come from the old school when you had party lines and cell phones were things in the ream of science fiction. Time to ditch the phone and just get internet. Thinking about a Verizon hot spot or see ing if Comcast can give me unlimited internet for a cheaper price.

Good question about the phone. I come from the old school when you had party lines and cell phones were things in the ream of science fiction. Time to ditch the phone and just get internet. Thinking about a Verizon hot spot or see ing if Comcast can give me unlimited internet for a cheaper price.
You might be better off doing a double play with internet and tv. That's what I've had for the last few years with Comcast. It was cheaper to bundle internet with the lowest tv tier, which is basic cable. By basic, I mean no pay channels at all. You get an standard definition cable box and access to your local channels and home shopping/religious channels that you'd get with an antenna. Maybe some digital music channels. That box has been sitting in a cabinet collecting dust. I locked into a two year deal that has me getting 100+mbps and the tv mentioned for around $70. Check what offers they have for bundling like that. There is always something they can do. Mine included HBO too. I just used my Comcast credentials to access HBO GO on my Roku. I have used various streaming services for tv during this time. YouTube TV was the best, in my opinion. I went back to DirecTV last year only because my company became part of AT&T and I get it for virtually nothing.

We have all them but the YouTube thing. I enjoy my Apple TV, but I’ve actually been using the Amazon Fire more. Roku never clicked with us. I’m not sure why.

Appears Firestick's ESPN app does not allow replays of past events (or only a very very limited number of them). You can't even find them. Can find and watch on android phone or PC. Can anyone comment on this with regard to other devices (Roku, AppleTV, etc.)?

@FireInTheNole, I’ve never watched anything on the ESPN app. I will ask my husband, but we usually attend or listen on Sirius or something. I know that I can watch my Prime Video stuff on my iPad and iPhone. I do that all the time. I’m not so sure about the espn app though. I’ll try to get an answer for you.

Also, does Roku's voice remote (bundled with higher end Roku's) seem worth it. Can it be used for searching?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT