ADVERTISEMENT

Subliminal message

JustSayNole

Freshman
Apr 2, 2002
Making my high school senior go to Florida Days tomorrow in Gainesville. If the decision were totally his, he would choose beauty school over Hogtown U, but the reality is that it is a good school and viable option for his undergraduate education.

What clever ideas can I offer him to take some subtle digs at the city, school, sports, etc.? A Georgia Southern t-shirt seems too simple (plus we don’t have one.) somehow we also don’t have a Ron Zook mask.

Aaron Hernandez is uf's most prolific athletic hoodlum, but that fraternity is neither small nor exclusive. You can have a field day just Googling "uf" and "arrested," which will bleed you into unsavory folks like Bill Cervone, Huntley Johnson, Jeremy Foley and scores of others. Don't forget the shark humper, the player who soiled his pants, Steve Babick, wrong-animal-on-the-media-guide, Charlie Pell-Galen Hall/NCAA violations, and on-and-on-and-on.

uf has a very fine academic reputation for a public university, but, aside from the joking, you should seriously study the school's policy about on-line classes. A shocking number of undergraduate classes are available ONLY on-line. I guess everyone is moving in that direction, including FSU, but uf has really taken this to the outer limits. Maybe that works for your kid, or maybe it doesn't. But be aware of it. Good luck.

Make him bring a bunch of bottled water and only drink that. When he asks why, tell him, " You don't want yellow teeth, do ya? Can't trust the water here!' :D

Though not too subtle or subliminal, you can have him wear this.

gators_still_suck_t_shirt-re5e9627b6b324c268689a20afb4b1dcb_k2gd1_324.jpg

Gators are completely oblivious to the fact that they suck. Nothing subliminal will work. They are so delirious that they would still claim that they are better than Harvard if their average incoming students had a 2.0 and an 890 SAT score (yes Tebow I am talking about you).

I would never condemn my child to the systemic brainwashing of a sociopathic University. Beauty school is a far better option.

You're forcing your son, against his will, to visit that school in Hogtown? You deserve our condemnation, not our advice.

Maybe. But his visiting is with cause. Besides FSU (of course) and the southern campus of Santa Fe CC, his college choices are all in excess of $250k for an undergraduate degree. The state schools are better than free for him, so we decided it was reasonable to have a viable choice to FSU or at least a basis for deciding that FSU is the best choice. He likely still ends up somewhere out of state if we can work it financially, so if today is a bad experience it will help him double his efforts in pursuit of scholarship money and begging a few schools for a better offer.

While I love FSU, there are certainly some areas where it is in your child's best interest to choose UF over FSU if he can stomach it. Sometimes we take our allegiances way too tribalistically. If your son wants to be an engineer or a Dr, for example, then UF is a far better choice than FSU for his future career and it isn't even close. That's not to say that FSU produces poor engineers and Dr's, just that they don't have the same access to educational opportunities as at UF, and the school rankings, especially in something like engineering truly do come into play when looking for great career opportunities upon graduation.

Ok so first come to grips with the fact your son going to uf is possible and there is nothing wrong with that if the degree and path he wants to follow; if uf has the best program for what he wants.
Now for your emotional well being instead of trying to deter him; train him to be a double agent and help destroy uf from within. He could work his way into the athletic program gather intel and insure his info makes it out into the world. Teach him to help all the players cheat on academic stuff and gather the proof. He could become a legend and if he is successful in exposing the true uf athletic program I am sure FSU would give him an honorary degree and thus 5-8 years from now you will have the joy of telling people your son has a diploma from FSU. Not to mention that he exposed the evil empire.
On a much lesser note this is what I do with my son; while FSU didn't offer what my son wanted he did chose FullSail University. Which just happens to be FSU. Where does your son go to school Rangernole; me - well FSU of course.

Reactions: 62Nole
While I love FSU, there are certainly some areas where it is in your child's best interest to choose UF over FSU if he can stomach it. Sometimes we take our allegiances way too tribalistically. If your son wants to be an engineer or a Dr, for example, then UF is a far better choice than FSU for his future career and it isn't even close. That's not to say that FSU produces poor engineers and Dr's, just that they don't have the same access to educational opportunities as at UF, and the school rankings, especially in something like engineering truly do come into play when looking for great career opportunities upon graduation.
uf

Just let him do the tours of the schools. I had my daughter on college tours last week. While I didn't wear Garnet to UF, I was hoping to find a reason why my daughter should attend their university. I went with an open mind and was willing to allow myself to be persuaded. THE UF COLLEGE TOUR SUCKED. There was hardly any information about majors/academics, they focused more on the SEC and sports titles, the beginning lecture was not provided by an admissions counselor like all the other schools, and we didn't even get to see what a typical dorm room would look like.

FSU on the other hand blew us away. An admission counselor was available all day to answer any questions, including individual questions for my clone, including what classes to dual enroll next year in HS and told her NOT to take AP Physics (phew). The campus tour was heavily focused on academics and student safety and we were taken to a dorm to see a model room.

There we a few parents in Gator gear at FSU, who we saw the previous day at UF. Even they said after the tour that their mind was changed about FSU.

I hope it changed the mind of my clone who has been brainwashed to believe that a degree from UF is better than FSU. She wants to practice law and become a judge. The admissions officer told her there was no better place in the state for that than Tallahassee. Plenty of lawyers, judges and opportunities in the state capital. I was truly blown away at the effort FSU puts into their college tours.

THE UF COLLEGE TOUR SUCKED.

FSU on the other hand blew us away.

Typical response unless you want to know the location of all the Starbucks and the best restaurants around campus. Must work for some.

The Florida Days experience is supposed to be better, with a serious intro to the school. We’ll see.

And arrange a personal tour of FSU through the Academic Recruitment Organization (ARO). That was really great. They try to match you with a student that matches your intended major and you tour the campus from that perspective.

Just let him do the tours of the schools. I had my daughter on college tours last week. While I didn't wear Garnet to UF, I was hoping to find a reason why my daughter should attend their university. I went with an open mind and was willing to allow myself to be persuaded. THE UF COLLEGE TOUR SUCKED. There was hardly any information about majors/academics, they focused more on the SEC and sports titles, the beginning lecture was not provided by an admissions counselor like all the other schools, and we didn't even get to see what a typical dorm room would look like.

FSU on the other hand blew us away. An admission counselor was available all day to answer any questions, including individual questions for my clone, including what classes to dual enroll next year in HS and told her NOT to take AP Physics (phew). The campus tour was heavily focused on academics and student safety and we were taken to a dorm to see a model room.

There we a few parents in Gator gear at FSU, who we saw the previous day at UF. Even they said after the tour that their mind was changed about FSU.

I hope it changed the mind of my clone who has been brainwashed to believe that a degree from UF is better than FSU. She wants to practice law and become a judge. The admissions officer told her there was no better place in the state for that than Tallahassee. Plenty of lawyers, judges and opportunities in the state capital. I was truly blown away at the effort FSU puts into their college tours.
While uf is better than FSU for Medical or Engineering. FSU for law is equal to uf and they tend to go back and forth in the rankings. I'd definitely push for FSU in that case. :)

Reactions: goldmom
While uf is better than FSU for Medical or Engineering. FSU for law is equal to uf and they tend to go back and forth in the rankings. I'd definitely push for FSU in that case. :)

My bother in law went to FSU for engineering and he is killing it. Just bought a 300k RV, is a Golden Chief, did the whole box thing for a couple years....he does great! He could have easily gone to UF but stayed true to his Noles and graduated FSU.

If you need the bigger alumni base to get you a better job, then go UF...or even Bama for that matter. But an undergrad is an undergrad...go to the school you love and better the FSU reputation in your field upon graduation.

Go Noles!

My bother in law went to FSU for engineering and he is killing it. Just bought a 300k RV, is a Golden Chief, did the whole box thing for a couple years....he does great! He could have easily gone to UF but stayed true to his Noles and graduated FSU.

If you need the bigger alumni base to get you a better job, then go UF...or even Bama for that matter. But an undergrad is an undergrad...go to the school you love and better the FSU reputation in your field upon graduation.

Go Noles!
I know quite a few FSU engineers who are doing well. You can do well if you apply yourself at almost any school. Overall, it's going to be easier to get jobs out of college with an Engineering degree from uf than FSU, but certainly not impossible.

Reactions: DanC78
My thoughts are its undergrad. Go wherever you want and feel comfortable. Its the best years of your life, go where you will enjoy them most! *And please pick FSU. I really want season tickets for football again* ;)

Reactions: DFSNOLE and DanC78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT