ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning (actually afternoon) Quarterback

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Got real busy between yesterday and today...First time in front of a computer. FSU is 8-0 and outside of UGA and Michigan no other team has looked better imho over first half of the season +2 games....FSU is a very good team. Do they have flaws - Yes but so does every other team. Wake has caused FSU a ton of problems the past two years and 41-16 - I had FSU winning 42-17....Can't get much closer in the prediction. It is a big win and while Wake is not what they were the past few seasons....It is still a very good win. I said it last week with Mike Elko and will say it with Dave Clawson. These two have done tremendous jobs....but if you get the chance to leave - take it. I feel that what both coaches have done is very difficult to sustain. Wake won with Jim Grobe and if Nebraska had been willing to take his entire coaching staff, Grobe may still be at Nebraska. Wake lost the QB to Notre Dame who was very good and trying to replace him is not easy....Kudos to both coaches and problems...But enough of that talk....Lets talk FSU football. This was by far the most impressive and complete game FSU has had...Crazy thing, I still feel they can get better.

Quarterback- the Travis we saw yesterday was the same one that finished off last season hot. Hopefully that trend continues because if he plays like that FSU is going to be almost impossible to beat. His new found running success this year (over the last two weeks) is the difference. Travis has to run...This week not so much but to beat Miami - yes...He has to be very involved in the run game...It will open up the offense. It will make it much easier for him to pass...22-35 359 yards....3 touchdowns. Even I can’t find faults there...Travis was quite impressive.

Running Game - 30-126 2 Touchdowns...Not great but more than good enough. FSU passed the ball yesterday...many of those passes are an extension of the run game. Trey led everyone with 10-55 yards and one touchdown. Travis was huge in the run game. I do think we will need to see the run game pick up later in the year if FSU wants to win it all...BALANCE...BALANCE, AND MORE BALANCE. Rodney Hill was a real nice find by this staff....

Passing game....23-382 and 3 touchdowns....Can’t argue with that success....Keon Coleman may go down as one of the most important recruits in his tenure as coach. FSU went from a good offense to one that is special at times with Coleman. He is such a weapon. FSU was missing three receivers, knew that Coleman would be their go to guy and they still could not stop HIM. Trey also had a great game catching the ball....Jaheim Bell to me really is a big time player as well...Morlock had 4 -45....Poitier had 1 for 33..by the way Jordan threw a dime to him...

Offensive Line - Travis seemed to have time throw. He was able to sit back and find the open receivers. There are a lot of new pieces to the OL...We all thought those guys would bring not only depth but better production. Reality is it takes time for even starters on other teams to gel.

Defensive Line- FSU defense supplicated Wake....Verse had a good game. I saw Byron Turner was one of the leading tacklers. This is where you build future depth. Having Turner get production was impressive.

Linebackers - Bethune and Deloach both were leading tacklers. These two will need to continue to play well the rest of the way. I really liked the way these two played this week.

Defensive Backs - Thought the secondary played well. Outside of the drive that it was 10-0....Wake was shut down. 6-16 for 82 yards....That is National Title type numbers. If the secondary can continue to improve my concerns about other offenses will not be there in the end....

Special Teams- Not going to lie....Really wish FSU did no play Keon Coleman on special teams. Especially against some of these teams that are not great. Don't want to see him get hurt returning kicks. The punter had a great punt inside the five. Fitzgerald continues to kick well...When you don't hear Fitz name all year...that is a good thing. It means that he is making the kicks.

Final Thoughts - Doubt I will get much push back this week....Got attacked last week....Think most will agree with me this week. FSU is most likely going to run the table. Outside of Miami no one really has the ability to compete with FSU on their schedule. It won't be until the ACC title game or playoffs where FSU could lose. FSU will be a 7 point favorite or more in every game the rest of the way. There are three teams above every one else IMH0---UGA, FSU, Michigan. Those are the three best teams. I really don't understand why the media has overlooked FSU so much. They beat an LSU team which may not have a great defense but score on anyone in the country.

The Fish Poll
1-UGA- UF fans felt good after taking a 7-0 lead....It did not take long for UGA to get it going . UF fans found out they have not closed the gap. Another impressive win for UGA.

2-FSU- I have FSU number 2....I just don't think many teams can stop this offense. I also think that while FSU defense has some flaws....it is still morethan good enough to win big time games. Verse needs to play like he did this weekend and the rest of the d will step up.

3-Michigan- They are a complete team....The only thing that can stop the Wolverines is the outside noise. Does filmgate get them? If not than they will be there in the end.

4-Washington-I have them ranked in the top 4....Still like their offense. These guys can score anyone in the country. What looked like a very good defense the past few weeks....they gave up a ton of points and yards this week. Washington defense will need to play well for them to have a shot in the playoffs.

5-Ohio State- I am going to continue to say it...Ohio State has not impressed me. Watch them win it all now....I just think that once they play a team like Michigan they will no longer be unbeaten. Their offense can be slowed down...

6-Texas- Can this team win out? If they can they can sneak into the playoffs. A win against OU in the Big 12 Championship game would do wonders...Their win against Alabama looks better each week.

7-Oregon- THe Ducks dominated a very good UTAH game on the road. Oregon wins out and gets a little luck they will make the playoffs. They sit in a good spot.

8-Alabama- Their season comes down to LSU this week...Lose and Bama will have no shot at the playoffs. Still want to see how Milroe finishes out the season.

9-Penn State-They will get a chance to redeem themselves against Michigan. Win that and they are back in the playoff race. Lose and they will play in a bowl game in Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville on New Years Day.

10-LSU- Even with two losses they have one of the best offenses in the country. They can score with anyone. They can also give up points to anyone. Keep an eye on LSU.

Best of the rest....

11-OU
12-Mississippi
13-Notre Dame
14-Missouri
15-Louisville
16-Air Force
17-Tennessee
18-UCLA
19Utah
20-Tulane
21-JamesMadison