ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday morning quarterback

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
Before I get started....I have a story to tell. My son played on a 14U baseball team. He has been playing since he was 10. At that time he had tried out and was not very good. I thought that after years of making evaluations on players that I was being punished for what I had said about other kids. Now to yesterday his team this year was 3-6-1 in the regular season. Each team makes the playoffs. This is a team that when we drafted it had another player who was probably one of the top 2-3 players in the league taken off it three days before the season started because he played travel and they don't allow that. Another two players we drafted were taken off. A fourth player broke his wrist playing around during batting practice slipping on grass outside the cage. Most of the games we had to play with 8 players or bring up 12u players to fill the spots. We got to the playoffs and dominated all three teams a won the title. My son hit a grand slam over the fence in the third inning to top it off. I wanted to share the story because it was one of the greatest days I got to enjoy with my son coaching him. Thanks....

Now to the game....Another slow start. It is crazy how this team comes out of the gate. Whatever Norvell is telling those at half time must be pretty darn good but this is the best second half team in the country. The Seminoles are 9-0 and have Miami, North Alabama and UF left....I expect 12-0....

Quarterback- Travis played really well. Thought it was one of his better games under terrible circumstances. He was under constant pressure in the first half. The OL settled down in the second half but man that was brutal to watch. It is games like that you pray that Travis does not get hurt.

Running Backs - Trey had a very nice run. The run game was good enough...That being said GOOD enough won't be good enough to win the ACC title or do anything in the playoffs. Hill showed some promise for the future.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends - We have now seen a game without Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson...The Verdict is in...The team is not the same without them. FSU needs them against Miami or this game will be a major dog fight. Coleman is the great equalizer for the opposition. Wilson also helps to stretch the field and force teams out of the box. Both are also very important in the run game. Morlock had his best game of his career. He is a nice player.

Offensive Line--After 9 games you are what you are...This OL is inconsistent. They are good enough but not great. They make a ton of mistakes. You see a lot of missed assignments. My only thinking is there were so many added pieces this off-season that they never jelled. You have to wonder how much better they will be if these guys stick around and have a spring to work together. The OL could be a major strength next year...I do think some of the young guys deserve a spot. If the team does not win a title this year, I feel the OL will be a big reason why.

Defensive Line- These guys played well....Thought Friske played very well. One of his better games. Payton had a real good game. Overall the defensive line pretty much shut down what ever the Panthers wanted to do.

Linebackers- Deloach had a big sack that thwarted a drive. Saw Lundy get into action and make plays. The linebackers have been better than expected. FSU needs them to continue as this defense is going to win or lose based on how the front 7 performs.

Defensive Backs- I kept seeing #1 flash and was wondering who he was...It was Dent. The secondary needs Akeem to play. He seems to settle these guys down. There are still concerns in the back end of the defense. I believe a good passing game could give them problems. We will find out soon enough. Louisville will have a shot in the ACC title game to get after this group.

Final Thoughts: I was speaking to Jerry about this on the game after thoughts segment. I just think that games are over evaluated now by everyone and critiqued way too much. You watch a game yesterday and FSU dominated the stats but it may not show during a game. FSU was never in danger of losing the game. That being said if you read the message board during the game...the team stunk.

This is a good team. While it may not be perfect, they are unbeaten and the reality you can’t ask for much more. They are frustrating at times but appreciate them because I feel like seasons like this are going to get harder and harder to come by.

Polls....

1-UGA-They had a scare against Missouri. I still think this team could lose a game along the way.

2-FSU-I am putting them at #2. I have watched every other team and outside of maybe Michigan can you really argue this. Those that making the rankings are not watching all these teams’ plays.

3-Michigan - They struggled a little bit for their standards...But pulled away in the second half. I don't think anyone is stopping them from making the playoffs...

4-Washington- Yesterday they found their run game... Their offense was working and when they play like that Washington will be tough to beat. They get stops on defense when they need to.

5-Oregon- They are the best team in the nation with one loss. They dominated Cal yesterday. They have a good offense, a pretty good defense and score on special teams. I would take a one loss Oregon over Ohio State.

6-Alabama - I have them over Texas who beat them. I feel if they played again Bama would probably beat them. The Tide have figured it out on offense. Their defense is not up to Bama standards, but it is good enough.

7-Texas- They did not look good yesterday. To be honest they have not looked like a top-rated team since they beat Bama.

8-Ohio State - Yes, I have them at 8. Maybe they prove me wrong and win the title, but I am not impressed with Ohio State. They got a pick six... Rutgers scores a TD on that drive instead and we could be looking at one of the biggest upsets ever in college football.

9-OIe Miss- They hung on to beat Texas A&M. They are a fringe top 10 team. One loss is the main reason they are sticking around.

10-Penn State- They looked good again in the dismantling of Maryland. Penn State has solidified themselves as the third best team in the Big 10. They will get another crack next week to against Michigan.

11-Louisville- They continue to roll...The Cards will most likely get to go against FSU in the ACC title game... They can be a spoiler this year.

12-Tennessee-Huepel has quietly put together a nice season with Tennessee. Still can’t figure out why they can’t beat UF in Gainesville.

13-Oregon State - This is a team you don't want to play. They are tough on both sides of the football.

The best of the rest....

LSU
OU
Missouri
ND
UTAH
KU

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series